Poll

Who will be the prospect(s) that will disappoint us?

Jaylen Brown
14 (34.1%)
Jayson Tatum
3 (7.3%)
Marcus Smart
24 (58.5%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: Which of our top level prospects will end up to disappoint long-term?  (Read 7621 times)

Re: Which of our top level prospects will end up to disappoint long-term?
« Reply #45 on: August 19, 2017, 10:23:01 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
In a sense, Marcus has already disappointed. He's good, a starting-caliber player due to his elite defense, but his offense is clearly worse than expected. He could have been much better based on his college + rookie year production.

But I picked Jaylen, mostly because expectations for him are higher. Most fans probably still think Jaylen has a chance to be a star, but frankly it's not likely he'll be better than Smart. He showed in SL that he cannot handle a high usage, and he isn't nearly as good as Smart on defense. He might still be a solid 2-way player similar to or a little worse than Jae Crowder, but most fans will find this disappointing.

Tatum is the least likely to disappoint. He's a stud.
I get what you're saying but smart is pretty much what he was advertised as.  the good thing is we get josh Jackson  who looks like a bigger Marcus smart

« Reply #46 on: August 19, 2017, 11:50:20 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
In a sense, Marcus has already disappointed. He's good, a starting-caliber player due to his elite defense, but his offense is clearly worse than expected. He could have been much better based on his college + rookie year production.

But I picked Jaylen, mostly because expectations for him are higher. Most fans probably still think Jaylen has a chance to be a star, but frankly it's not likely he'll be better than Smart. He showed in SL that he cannot handle a high usage, and he isn't nearly as good as Smart on defense. He might still be a solid 2-way player similar to or a little worse than Jae Crowder, but most fans will find this disappointing.

Its hard to compare a player with two leagues of experience that has shown disappointing shooting to a player that has not played a game. We kinda know who Marcus is unless he suddenly becomes a good shooter. Tatum is an open book with blank pages.

Marcus could become a better shooter and show his worth to the team, which would be huge. No doubt. But is that realistic after three historically bad shooting years? Tatum, on the other hand, has a blank page to write his story. He has tons of potential and only this year will determine where he is.

Personally, I think Tatum will average about 20 MPG and get about 10 PPG and 5 RPG, and I will be thrilled with that

« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2017, 06:24:25 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

I mostly agree with your post, we know who Smart is now, but disagree with the highlighted bit.  I still do believe that Jaylen will end up as a better pro than Smart.  He has better tools overall and clearly is not afraid of heading right to rim (unlike Smart).  His defense will improve but he probably won't ever be better than Smart in that category.  Jaylen could even make an ASG or two.  My current comp for Jaylen is Richard Jefferson in terms of overall success in this league.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 06:49:10 AM by Surferdad »

« Reply #48 on: August 20, 2017, 10:05:08 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

I think this assessment is the correct one.   He plays the most even of what we have seen but has to prove it against NBA guys.   But grading him against the up and down Brown, in performance in the SL and Smart what we have seen thus far, I too would choose Tatum.

I do think Tatum needs to work out on his body.   He is too lean.   But this kid can shoot well from about anywhere.   One can't say that of the other team.  Brown is more an athlete and Smart is a hustle guy.   Tatum is a basketball player.

I worry about Brown's uneven play and Marcus's shot.  I do not worry about  Tatum as much because I think strength is one of the easiest things to develop.  Consistency and a shot are both mental as much as physical talents.

« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2017, 11:21:26 AM »

Offline positivitize

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 614
  • Puns of steel
I was really surprised when I clicked on this topic and it wasn't created by everyone's favorite Lar_Bar33.

RIP Lar.
My biases, in order of fervor:
Pro:
Smart, Brown, Hayward, Tatum, Kemba, Grant Williams, Sleepy Williams, Edwards!

Anti:
Kanter, Semi, Theis, Poierier

« Reply #50 on: August 20, 2017, 11:48:03 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Fultz has the body type to do a Sully.

Brown for US

Smart already has my heart .

« Reply #51 on: August 20, 2017, 11:59:31 AM »

Offline CelticsJG

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
Smart is who he is until proven otherwise.

Brown clearly a player that been relying on his athleticism his whole life. So his potential is determined by how fast he can learn NBA skills and develop some type of feel for the game.

Tatum path to stardom much more clear. Develop the body and become a much more efficient scorer.

« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2017, 11:38:31 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
I suppose it depends on what you mean by disappoint and what your expectations are for each player. Smart is already a quality NBA player but not an all-star level player, nor do I think he is likely to become one unless he can improve his shooting. If you were expecting him to be an all-star you might find him disappointing. If your expectations were more measured, then you might not. Brown has done better than many expected in his first year, but there is still a lot of growing to do, the jury is still out. In a way you could make a case that Tatum is the most likely to disappoint precisely because the expectations are so high. If he becomes a pretty good, but not special player many would be quite disappointed.

« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2017, 12:15:36 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
I was really surprised when I clicked on this topic and it wasn't created by everyone's favorite Lar_Bar33.

RIP Lar.
#embiidforprez
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2017, 12:40:45 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I sadly think all 3 end up worse then their draft position, but Smart is exactly the player he was advertised to be, so it is hard to disappoint from that perspective so I voted for Brown and Tatum. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2017, 01:05:08 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I sadly think all 3 end up worse then their draft position, but Smart is exactly the player he was advertised to be, so it is hard to disappoint from that perspective so I voted for Brown and Tatum.

Why would you think Brown and Tatum will disappoint?  And why "sadly," if you aren't a Celtics fan?
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #56 on: August 22, 2017, 01:10:38 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
I can see Brown becoming the new lightning rod on these boards this season if he struggles out of the game.

Based on what I've seen out of Tatum so far, I don't see him disappointing except for those posters who have agendas to grind.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2017, 01:32:40 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Why would you think Brown and Tatum will disappoint?  And why "sadly," if you aren't a Celtics fan?
sadly because I'd rather have them all end up better than their draft position.  I figured that was obvious.

I think both Brown and Tatum will be surpassed as players drafted after them as well as them not pass the 2 players taken ahead of them.  That means they would fail to live up to their draft position and as such would be disappointments.  Smart already has been passed up by multiple players and probably goes no better than 10 in a re-draft.  That is a failure for a 6th pick, but Smart is exactly the player he was advertised to be.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2017, 01:59:40 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

sadly because I'd rather have them all end up better than their draft position.  I figured that was obvious.

I think both Brown and Tatum will be surpassed as players drafted after them as well as them not pass the 2 players taken ahead of them.  That means they would fail to live up to their draft position and as such would be disappointments.  Smart already has been passed up by multiple players and probably goes no better than 10 in a re-draft.  That is a failure for a 6th pick, but Smart is exactly the player he was advertised to be.
I'm not sure I would consider it a failure. I see a failure as a darko type of flop.

« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2017, 02:51:06 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

I'm not sure I would consider it a failure. I see a failure as a darko type of flop.

Agreed.  Hakeem Olajuwon is generally considered the 2nd best player from the 1984 draft, but that doesn't make him a "disappointment"
I'm bitter.