Poll

Who will be the prospect(s) that will disappoint us?

Jaylen Brown
14 (34.1%)
Jayson Tatum
3 (7.3%)
Marcus Smart
24 (58.5%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: Which of our top level prospects will end up to disappoint long-term?  (Read 7671 times)

Re: Which of our top level prospects will end up to disappoint long-term?
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2017, 12:26:04 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391
Jaylen Brown. Don't think he fully committed to the game of basketball.

Im confused... he is known for his worth ethic and working out at like 5am right? How could he be more committed?

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2017, 12:37:30 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Definitely Jayson Tatum. Smart has already panned out. There are a lot of teams right now that smart would be their starting pg. the guy may shoot for **** but he's the leader you want and his defense is top tier. Shooting could come later but not crucial for panning out.

Jayson Tatum will be a bust. He has no room in modern NBA, he's too slow/small for ISO on pro level and he has no fit on the Celtics PnR offense. You'll all see soon.

I have this good friend, years and years ago while watch a new rock band he made a bold statement to everyone in the surrounding area.

Mark my words, he bellowed... "these guys will go nowhere"

That band was called the Police, we still laugh about his statement today.

Be prepared, you may be wrong.

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2017, 12:50:20 PM »

Offline Sophomore

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 823
NONE OF THEM WILL DISAPPOINT!!

THEY ARE ALL BASKETBALL GODS. THEY WILL DUNK FROM THE TOP OF THE KEY, HIT 50% FROM BEHIND THE THREE-POINT LINE, AND BLOCK 8 SHOTS PER GAME.

ALL OF THEM, DO YOU HEAR ME? ALL OF THEM!!!

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2017, 01:04:51 PM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
well I dont think any of them will dissapoint me, because if I did think that, I would lower my expectations and then expect them to meet my expectations.

If the blog is putting stock into the Marcus Smart "its a new me" video they will be dissapointed and if anyone thinks Brown is gonna all of a sudden be creating offense left and right, they will be dissapointed.

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2017, 01:26:28 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3174
NONE OF THEM WILL DISAPPOINT!!

THEY ARE ALL BASKETBALL GODS. THEY WILL DUNK FROM THE TOP OF THE KEY, HIT 50% FROM BEHIND THE THREE-POINT LINE, AND BLOCK 8 SHOTS PER GAME.

ALL OF THEM, DO YOU HEAR ME? ALL OF THEM!!!

I THINK THEY WILL BE MUCH BETTER THAN THAT!!!!

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2017, 02:16:37 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
this wont be a popular stance.

Nor should it be. Just watch him work in a video like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e24J7Ay7Sc0. That shows a lot of hard work. Even if you think that's somehow a self-serving puff piece, there's still nothing out there to indicate that he's not fully committed. When something like this gets posted, you have to question how was this assumption made.

Is this because he's a smart young man with other interests besides basketball?
Or is this because he's a smart young black man with other interests besides basketball?

There was talk about Brown having worldly distractions prior to the draft and it was quickly squashed because such questions wouldn't have raised about a white player. There was definitely a hint of racism in the whole line of questioning his attitude. I'd hate to think that this  somehow has lingered a year from now. I'll give CelticsJG the benefit of the doubt here but I hope he returns to discuss how he came to his conclusion when this kind of stuff isn't generally raised about a white player.   
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2017, 02:26:35 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Kadeem Allen, highly over rated.  What's Ainge thinking wasting a late 2nd on him.

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2017, 02:29:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Marcus Smart. I think both Brown and Tatum will end up as better all around players that start on contender level teams. Smart I think will never get his shooting worked out and remain the defensive, off the bench role player he currently is.

If people are getting hyped about Smart's new fangled shot, I think they are going to be tremendously disappointed in him this year.

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2017, 02:58:43 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I don't think any of them will but 'disappoint' is a matter of perspective. 

I constantly see the harping on Smart's shooting as a reason for people's personal disappointment in him but the perspective I take is whether the player is as good as those taken within a few slots of where he was taken.  from that perspective, Smart is far from a disappointment.  Too early for Brown and obviously too early for Tatum to be judged.

no option for Rozier?

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2017, 03:17:54 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
I think none of them will. We'll go 3 for 3, beginning this very year when all three's big leaps align, Smart blooming in his fourth year, Brown blooming in his second, and Tatum already bloomed as a rookie. This is the year when the draft record debate on Ainge is settled forever to his favor.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2017, 03:28:03 PM »

Offline erisred

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 37
In the poll, you need to have "none of the above" as an option.
I vote "none of the above", too!

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2017, 03:34:28 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
They will all disappoint because Celtics fans...

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2017, 04:53:12 PM »

Offline CelticsJG

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11

Im confused... he is known for his worth ethic and working out at like 5am right? How could he be more committed?

Just think Jaylen has big goals and only using basketball as vehicle(rightfully so). I can honestly see him retiring in his prime to try save world.
this wont be a popular stance.

Nor should it be. Just watch him work in a video like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e24J7Ay7Sc0. That shows a lot of hard work. Even if you think that's somehow a self-serving puff piece, there's still nothing out there to indicate that he's not fully committed. When something like this gets posted, you have to question how was this assumption made.

Is this because he's a smart young man with other interests besides basketball?
Or is this because he's a smart young black man with other interests besides basketball?

There was talk about Brown having worldly distractions prior to the draft and it was quickly squashed because such questions wouldn't have raised about a white player. There was definitely a hint of racism in the whole line of questioning his attitude. I'd hate to think that this  somehow has lingered a year from now. I'll give CelticsJG the benefit of the doubt here but I hope he returns to discuss how he came to his conclusion when this kind of stuff isn't generally raised about a white player.   

Nothing to due with race. Just Jaylen having goals bigger than basketball(very evident in Jaylen African article).

As a black man, I know all about the coded language Jaylen was receiving. So don't play the race card with me.

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2017, 06:07:15 PM »

Offline dweeks7

• Jordan Walsh
  • Tommy Points: 1
First time I have seen anybody say Jason Tatum will disappoint. I actually think he will end up as a 25/10/3 guy for his career. Danny Ainge stated that Tatum shot better than any prospect he has ever worked out or seen work out. He shoots too good to disappoint. He will be good. The only thing I can't predict or get a good feel for is if he will be more Carmelo Anthony or Paul George. If he can make the game easier for his teammates then he will be a star and if not he will be what Carmelo is now. Productive but hollow production if that makes sense. Jaylen Brown is looking more and more like he is going to be a good NBA player.

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2017, 06:46:00 PM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
First time I have seen anybody say Jason Tatum will disappoint. I actually think he will end up as a 25/10/3 guy for his career. Danny Ainge stated that Tatum shot better than any prospect he has ever worked out or seen work out. He shoots too good to disappoint. He will be good. The only thing I can't predict or get a good feel for is if he will be more Carmelo Anthony or Paul George. If he can make the game easier for his teammates then he will be a star and if not he will be what Carmelo is now. Productive but hollow production if that makes sense. Jaylen Brown is looking more and more like he is going to be a good NBA player.

I believe that Jayson Tatum will be a bust in the NBA. He's too slow to take NBA elite defenders off the dribble and he's too weak to post up anyone of significance. He gets Carmelo Anthony comparisons. Anthony has him outweighed by 35 pounds. What 6'8" forwards do you think Tatum at 205 is going to push around? I know that he's young and has a lot of time to fill out, but it's not exactly easy to put on 35 pounds of muscle (Melo weighed 233 in draft combine), and you don't get that much time in the NBA to prove yourself. If you are average for 2-3 years in the NBA, you lose your confidence and teams will begin to pass you around to the next schmuck who wants to believe that Anthony Bennett has the potential of a #1 pick.

Everything you saw in Summer League is the product of him beating up other slow, wimpy college players and D-league players. Let's see him take Kahwi, LeBron, Butler off the dribble. Because if he plans on being anything close to Carmelo Anthony, he's going to need to be able to beat these guys offensively within the next 2-3 years. You remember that Anthony was a stud his rookie year. By the 4th year, he was already an Allstar. I just don't see it happening. I hope I'm wrong. Sorry for the cold water.

Also, are we really going to pay Hayward and IT max money to watch him take turnaround fadeaways from 18 ft away? None of this draft pick makes any sense to me. Josh Jackson was the pick. We had the best player in the draft at #3 and we Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.ing blew it.

Definitely Jayson Tatum. Smart has already panned out. There are a lot of teams right now that smart would be their starting pg. the guy may shoot for **** but he's the leader you want and his defense is top tier. Shooting could come later but not crucial for panning out.

Jayson Tatum will be a bust. He has no room in modern NBA, he's too slow/small for ISO on pro level and he has no fit on the Celtics PnR offense. You'll all see soon.

I have this good friend, years and years ago while watch a new rock band he made a bold statement to everyone in the surrounding area.

Mark my words, he bellowed... "these guys will go nowhere"

That band was called the Police, we still laugh about his statement today.

Be prepared, you may be wrong.

The key differences being:
1) I have a vested interest as a Celtics fan of being wrong. I hope I am.
2) I don't know any of you guys IRL, so if he turns out to be Michael Jordan, I can just delete my username :)

« Last Edit: August 18, 2017, 06:51:10 PM by Erik »