Poll

Who will be the prospect(s) that will disappoint us?

Jaylen Brown
14 (34.1%)
Jayson Tatum
3 (7.3%)
Marcus Smart
24 (58.5%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Author Topic: Which of our top level prospects will end up to disappoint long-term?  (Read 7616 times)

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
It's inevitable that some of our top prospects will not turn out to be star players or major contributors to a championship team. Its hard to make that call now, but I was wondering, who do you guys think will be disappointing long term from our current crop?

As far as top tier (top of the lottery) prospects, we have:

Jaylen Brown

Jayson Tatum

Marcus Smart

In the past, there is always one out of the two that works out, and one that does not. Take the Celtics for example:

Paul Pierce (HOF , NBA Finals MVP) and Antoine Walker

Chauncey Billups (NBA Finals MVP) and Ron Mercer

Joe Johnson (perennial all-star) and Kedrick Brown

Rajon Rondo (key contributor to 2008 NBA Champions :) and Delonte West

Re: Which of our top level prospects will end up to disappoint long-term?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2017, 10:30:14 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
I personally think it may be Jaylen Brown (although I hope I'm wrong).

I see Marcus as more in the Chauncey Billups type trajectory, he will take longer to develop to his max potential but he will be a key contributor to a championship level team.

I see Tatum as a guy who already has the tools to be an all-star on the offensive end, and he's only 19. In 2-3 years he can reach Paul Pierce level impact.

Jaylen has the largest boom and bust potential, and the most holes in his game. If he doesn't improve his handle and his shot, and his overall control on offense and passing out of double teams, he will level out to be a decent but not great player in the league.

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2017, 10:42:02 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257

I see Marcus as more in the Chauncey Billups type trajectory, he will take longer to develop to his max potential but he will be a key contributor to a championship level team.

I see Tatum as a guy who already has the tools to be an all-star on the offensive end, and he's only 19. In 2-3 years he can reach Paul Pierce level impact.

Jaylen has the largest boom and bust potential, and the most holes in his game. If he doesn't improve his handle and his shot, and his overall control on offense and passing out of double teams, he will level out to be a decent but not great player in the league.

Marcus. Shooting and passing need to improve. No first step. I've got Brown and Tatum blowing him away.

Browns passing and handle need to improve, but his spot up 3 improved already, D is goodish, and has the explosiveness to scare opponents. Worst case, a smart Ricky Davis. That's actually not bad at all, since Ricky's biggest problem was being an idiot.

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2017, 11:11:57 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

Marcus. Shooting and passing need to improve. No first step. I've got Brown and Tatum blowing him away.

Browns passing and handle need to improve, but his spot up 3 improved already, D is goodish, and has the explosiveness to scare opponents. Worst case, a smart Ricky Davis. That's actually not bad at all, since Ricky's biggest problem was being an idiot.

Marcus' shooting definitely needs improvement, but his passing was much improved last season, especially when IT was out and Marcus was the starting PG.

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 11:26:27 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
So now we are comparing Antoine Walker's career trajectory to Ron Mercer's, Kedrick Brown's, and Delonte West's?  ::)

If the worst of the three guys you have listed only makes three all-star games, then I think we will be in wonderful shape moving forward.

For the record, I will go with Smart - whom I love - but I have really high hopes for Brown and Tatum. Smart's ceiling seems a bit lower than those two.

« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2017, 12:10:01 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
In the poll, you need to have "none of the above" as an option.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2017, 01:02:38 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I picked Marcus but at least he has a good floor.

« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2017, 01:10:26 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I don't see how smart can disappoint unless he gets a overpaid contract. He is a great roleplayer. Not every player can be an all star. The only player selected before him that's made noise so far is wiggins. Parker has potential  but now majorly injured twice. Embiid major injured twice. Exum majorly injured and still playing summer league I think? . Gordon not overly impressive doesn't pass well.

Like others have said, he has a good floor. He plays an important role (defense) on a team that has the worst defensive rated PG (IT)

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 05:32:56 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
The one who doesn't pan out I guess.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2017, 05:45:12 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Well I guess its subjective. At the moment I don't think any of them will disappoint. I've been pleased with Smart so far but not ecstatic. Brown and Tatum I think will be stars in this league, if they go further then I will be happily surprised! Nothing so far (albeit limited) suggests they won't be.

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2017, 06:35:34 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211

I agree with this. I think Smart may ultimately be the one who achieves the least as a Celtic but I believe all of them will have decent careers. Brown and Tatum have more potential to reach all star level.

« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2017, 09:17:17 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale

No, the poll is for the assumption that at least one of them will disappoint.

« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2017, 09:32:43 AM »

Offline Erik

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • The voice of reason
Definitely Jayson Tatum. Smart has already panned out. There are a lot of teams right now that smart would be their starting pg. the guy may shoot for Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. but he's the leader you want and his defense is top tier. Shooting could come later but not crucial for panning out.

Jayson Tatum will be a bust. He has no room in modern NBA, he's too slow/small for ISO on pro level and he has no fit on the Celtics PnR offense. You'll all see soon.

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2017, 12:10:25 PM »

Offline CelticsJG

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
Jaylen Brown. Don't think he fully committed to the game of basketball.

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2017, 12:21:38 PM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
Jaylen Brown. Don't think he fully committed to the game of basketball.
this wont be a popular stance.