Author Topic: Wilbon "Cleveland is done, Boston is gonna pass then and beat their brains out"  (Read 5928 times)

Offline playdream

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 88
Given that they just beat our brains out in the playoffs and (so far) are running back the same core, I think I'll wait and see rather than take Mr Wilbon's word for it.
Our best player played hurt and we still beat them in their home without him, if it's the opposite we easily sweep them

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Have to repeat myself here.

Beat brains out?

Recently, I watched the Cav's beat my teams' brains out.

..."Last regular season game plus 5 playoffs games(points/record below). Don't come out of that kind of beat down with anything, but, happiness that we have a reworked roster...that last one didn't get it done did it?"

1-5
Cavs--716- Celtics---593

The Celtics couldn't shoot or defend...at all.

Personally, I see the team as better this year. Bradley and Horford were the Celtics two best players in the playoffs this year. I base this on watching the games...not rolling back through stat lines.

Bradley is subtracted and Hayward is added. Team is better. It will be up to the other players to step up and prevent getting their brains beat out by what looks like the same Cav's team as they faced last spring.

They "better" be better that crap was awful.

Offline Ed Hollison

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 195
Even if Lebron and Irving stay, the Celtics should be favored to make it to the Finals this year.

People magically forget that the 4-1 loss in the ECF featured a one-legged (one-hipped?) Isaiah Thomas for just 1.5 games. The Celtics basically played that series minus the 5th best player in the league last year.

The Cavs' salary situation made it such that they couldn't upgrade at all in the offseason. Their bench is about to be Derek Rose, Iman Shumpert, Channing Frye, a 37-year-old Richard Jefferson, Jose Calderon, and Jeff Green.

The Celtics essentially swapped Avery Bradley and Kelly Olynyk for Gordon Hayward and Marcus Morris, then swapped a cooked Amir Johnson for Aron Baynes. Meanwhile they got an injection of youth to their bench (Yabusele, Zizic, Tatum, Nader) while some of their young players are now one year more mature (J. Brown, Smart, Rozier).

Seriously... Why the assumption that the Celtics are destined to lose in the ECF once again? Lebron is a great player, but he's from infallible and he'll be 33. The Celtics should be favorites to come out of the East, assuming Isaiah's hip is intact.
"A thought of hatred must be destroyed by a more powerful thought of love."

http://fruittreeblog.com

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
So Cleveland should keep KI if they know Lebrons gone.
Diggles

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I tend to agree with Wilson usually

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Short of a CLE roster overhaul (trading Irving and/or James), not this year.  Maybe in the near future.  We don't even know if IT is healthy.  I think we can put a scare into CLE but certainly not "beat their brains out".

They said no surgery, which for that kind of injury is great. As long as he heals well, it shouldn't be anything to worry about. While there is a SMALL chance of issues, there is a greater chance he's going to be just fine. So people need to stop worrying about it right now.

Now with that, if the Cavs keeps the line up, I think we don't beat their brains out, but still beat them. Unless they some how turn the lockeroom around, it's going to be a bit ugly, but still enough talent to do well. But the C's have improved a lot. A lot comes down to Brown's improvement. AB was a loss, but If Brown can improve, and Smart gets a more constant shot, should make up for it. 

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
I don't get the concern over losing Avery Bradley.  Although I don't buy that he is just a role player, I think he is a very good player albeit with durability issues, but we are replacing him with Gordon Hayward.  If that is not a meaningful upgrade, we just wasted a lot of money and should have simply kept Avery and extended or resigned him for less than what it took to get Hayward.

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3148

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Given that they just beat our brains out in the playoffs and (so far) are running back the same core, I think I'll wait and see rather than take Mr Wilbon's word for it.
I think people are expecting Irving to be moved before the season so it shouldn't be the same core.

Yeah that's the big X-factor, but until it happens, it hasn't happened, and I'm at the same place you are here:

Personally, I'm skeptical that the Cavs find a deal for Kyrie that suits them before the season. If LeBron leaves after next year I think Kyrie would be willing to stay to be the face of the franchise.

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
Short of a CLE roster overhaul (trading Irving and/or James), not this year.  Maybe in the near future.  We don't even know if IT is healthy.  I think we can put a scare into CLE but certainly not "beat their brains out".

As long as he heals well, it shouldn't be anything to worry about. .....  So people need to stop worrying about it right now.

Thank you for your reassurance but I am still going to be worried.  "As long as he heals well" is a really big if.  You could say the same about Joel Embiid, as long as he heals well, it is nothing to worry about.  This type of degenerative hip disorder does not exactly heal from what I read.  It can either be repaired with surgery or managed.  i am not trying to Jinx him or anything but I am going to continue to worry.

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
If irving gets traded, Celtics have a shot to out-duel the cavs.

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 864
  • GOT IT!!!
I really want the C's to finish they off before LeBron bolts next summer. Regardless they'll be an afterthought after this season so it's all good.

Offline Onslaught

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
I think people are expecting Irving to be moved before the season so it shouldn't be the same core.

Personally, I'm skeptical that the Cavs find a deal for Kyrie that suits them before the season. If LeBron leaves after next year I think Kyrie would be willing to stay to be the face of the franchise.
Say they have the same team. Are we all saying that Kyrie and James can make nice? That this won't be a Kobe and Shaq dual all over again? And lets not forget all the talk going on that the Cavs needed to dump Love and I believe even James wanted that after this year. That's a lot of drama for one team to overcome.
Peace through Tyranny

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
Lebron will be 33 in December. While he's an exceptional player, he has to play a lot of minutes for his team to dominate. Each year, it gets a little tougher for him to hold a team on his shoulders.

Next year, he'll be 34. I don't know if other teams will be willing to invest a lot in him at that point.  There might be some surprises.

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141

As long as he heals well, it shouldn't be anything to worry about. .....  So people need to stop worrying about it right now.

Thank you for your reassurance but I am still going to be worried.  "As long as he heals well" is a really big if.  You could say the same about Joel Embiid, as long as he heals well, it is nothing to worry about.  This type of degenerative hip disorder does not exactly heal from what I read.  It can either be repaired with surgery or managed.  i am not trying to Jinx him or anything but I am going to continue to worry.

There is a pretty big difference in Isaiah's and Joel's situations.