Author Topic: IT posts a pic of his new "Brinks truck" sandals (UPDATE: ainge responds lol!)  (Read 7918 times)

Re: IT posts a pic of his new "Brinks truck" sandals
« Reply #30 on: August 01, 2017, 01:35:11 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I like the fact that he is thinking in terms of the "Brinks Truck" full of money, and not the "I'm a max player" mantra you sometimes hear from other FAs to be.  The latter makes negotiations much more limiting because a player has already boxed himself in on a specific contract that's acceptable for someone of his caliber.

He wants to (and deserves to) get paid at the end of this season - no doubt.  But I'm optimistic that the C's and Isaiah will be able to agree on a size of the stacks that is big enough to make Isaiah happy, but far enough under the max that the C's are willing to pay.

I will be very interested to see what happens if Thomas actually does demand the max and that, in turn, leads to the team not being able to re-sign Smart.

I know that Sullinger and KO were allowed to walk after their rookie contracts ended, but Smart seems a little more immersed in Cs culture. It also seems that Danny has been pretty reluctant to trade him.

Of course, in the end, I hope that IT and Smart come at a decent discount and we can live on in harmony.

« Reply #31 on: August 01, 2017, 01:35:36 PM »

Offline jbpats

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 406
I have no problem with this, but agree with the others who say the 'brinks truck' comments are getting old. He was on Sirius/XM NBA radio a few weeks back and had the same comment and started thinking to myself that it was getting old.

I will say that I am a bit concerned that this can be potentially be a locker room distraction as the season progresses. If IT doesnt get the max extension or is getting concerned he might not, it could lead to some drama that this team definitely doesnt need.
Everyone knows the days of players happily playing out their current contract are long gone, AB last season was a prime example of this. It'll be IT this season and shortly there after Crowder.

« Reply #32 on: August 01, 2017, 01:37:16 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134
That truck won't have Celtics max money in it.
Highly doubt it. The way I see it, if Danny was planning to part ways with IT

- he wouldn't have traded Bradley
- he would have drafted Fultz instead of Tatum

He's got two outstanding talents who are still developing. Smart & Rozier.

Just like his infatuation with IT4, I think he loves these talents.

« Reply #33 on: August 01, 2017, 01:42:13 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I like the fact that he is thinking in terms of the "Brinks Truck" full of money, and not the "I'm a max player" mantra you sometimes hear from other FAs to be.  The latter makes negotiations much more limiting because a player has already boxed himself in on a specific contract that's acceptable for someone of his caliber.

He wants to (and deserves to) get paid at the end of this season - no doubt.  But I'm optimistic that the C's and Isaiah will be able to agree on a size of the stacks that is big enough to make Isaiah happy, but far enough under the max that the C's are willing to pay.

I could have sworn Isaiah mentioned both of those terms during his interview in Las Vegas with A. Sherrod Blakely. I think he even said, "of course I'm a max player", when Blakely asked Isaiah if he views himself as a max guy.

Thomas has been playing on a "home town discount" contract before even joining the Celtics. No way does he voluntarily leave money on the table for his one chance at a max contract.

Obviously, a lot of fans focus on his ability to score as probably the main reason for re-signing him to a max contact. The thing that I love about Isaiah is his willingness/eagerness to recruit other players to help make the team better, and for being such a great ambassador for the team and city. Thomas has elevated his game to such a level that he has earned the respect among his piers. For all Thomas has done for the Celtics, and the respect he has in the league, I think it would be a huge blow to the Celtics future (blue chip) free agent recruiting success, if they traded Thomas or didn't re-sign him.

« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2017, 02:27:58 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
I smell trouble

« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2017, 03:19:16 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
Number 1 and 2 are basically the same thing. The complaints about his defense are also entirely overblown. Westbrook, Harden and Irving have all been getting lit up for years and we decide to give them a free pass for god knows what reason.
Because they have the tools to rise to the occasion whenever it matters (Westbrook is 6'3'', Harden is 6' 5" and Kyrie is 6'3"). IT will always be a defensive liability no matter how hard he tries.

If he takes such horrible shots how is he such an efficient scorer? He shot 46% from the field and 38% from 3...
One does not exclude the other. He is efficient cause he is obviously an elite ISO shot creator (imo top 3 in the league alongside/behind Kyrie and Harden). I guess we both agree that Harden is taking tons of horrible shots, yet IT and Harden have almost identical career averages in terms of FG% and 3P%.
Harden has a career average of 44.2% from the field and 36.4% from 3.
IT has a career average of 44.3% from the field and 36.7% from 3.

Finally the idea that we need him less cause we have other players that score seems to show a fundamental misunderstanding of how offense and basketball works. IT will make life easier for Hayward and Tatum. You want to have multiple scoring opens to keep the defense spread out and make it easier to attack the rim. Thomas will be even more efficient playing alongside 1 and eventually 2 scoring threats. You don't want to dump Thomas to go back to having one player that can really create offense.. that would be asinine and make singing Hayward completely pointless.
My point was that last year he was our only consistent scoring option while this year we added Hayward and Tatum. All I'm saying is, IT is not indispensable for us any more.

He makes 6 million dollars. He makes less than Andrew Nicholson makes to eat cheerios on his couch. He makes less than Vince Carter does celebrating his 41st birthday. He makes less than Boban Marjanović stretching out gloves on the Pistons bench. He made less than Tyler Zeller did last year trying to figure out how to walk and chew gum at the same time.
Agreed. Having said that, none of what you wrote will still be applicable when IT signs his new contract next season.

You know what? He could have asked for a contract extension or redo THIS offseason and really screwed the team over and/or pouted. He hasn't done any of that and makes a silly joke about getting paid on Instagram in the second offseason in a row where he watched the rest of the players in the league get showered with cash.
He could have asked for whatever he wanted. Bottom line is he wouldn't have gotten an extension this year cause everybody knew we wanted the cap space to go after Hayward.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2017, 03:49:34 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2017, 03:33:40 PM »

Offline HomerSapien

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 43
You know what? He could have asked for a contract extension or redo THIS offseason and really screwed the team over and/or pouted. He hasn't done any of that and makes a silly joke about getting paid on Instagram in the second offseason in a row where he watched the rest of the players in the league get showered with cash.
He could have asked for whatever he wanted. Bottom line is he wouldn't have gotten an extension this year cause everybody knew we wanted the cap space to go after Hayward.
The point is he DIDN'T ask.  He had a lot more grounds to bring this topic up with the media than many other players have, but Isaiah has always taken the the high road on this one despite being way underpaid relative to peers.  I think he deserves credit for saving the contract drama for next offseason and not letting it get in the way.

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2017, 03:39:55 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
The point is he DIDN'T ask.  He had a lot more grounds to bring this topic up with the media than many other players have, but Isaiah has always taken the the high road on this one despite being way underpaid relative to peers.  I think he deserves credit for saving the contract drama for next offseason and not letting it get in the way.
And my point is it's highly likely he didn't ask cause everybody was telling him that he wouldn't get it.

« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2017, 05:17:29 PM »

Offline vjcsmoke

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182

Motivation!!  I expect another career year from IT4.  He might even finish over the 30ppg mark!  That's great news for the Celtics THIS season!  And with the Cavs imploding over in Cleveland, we could take advantage to finally make a push into the NBA Finals!!  Exciting times to be a Celtics fan!

« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2017, 10:49:41 PM »

Offline OHCeltic

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
What is IT focused more on?  Rehab? Money? or Team?  It seems like his money. If that is the case need he will be a sign and trade next year. You cant be selfish. Look at GSW they are team oriented.

« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2017, 11:03:24 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
What is IT focused more on?  Rehab? Money? or Team?  It seems like his money. If that is the case need he will be a sign and trade next year. You cant be selfish. Look at GSW they are team oriented.
I think IT is pretty obviously motivated most by winning. People shouldn't let his less than serious Instagram dictate how they view him
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Ainge responds: https://mobile.twitter.com/danielrainge/status/892577347240460288

Also they're $50 and available from ITs sandal collection, proceeds go to his IT help desk foundation: https://www.islideusa.com/collections/it-official

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Ainge responds: https://mobile.twitter.com/danielrainge/status/892577347240460288

Also they're $50 and available from ITs sandal collection, proceeds go to his IT help desk foundation: https://www.islideusa.com/collections/it-official

His lighthearted reply speaks volumes.  Glad the man in charge appreciates him.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
Dear Chinese Celtic fan and CB member,
Please mass produce these IT sandals and set them up at a team friendly, "IT" price.
Everyone here would order a pair.

Regards,
Androslav
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

ainges response goes  from funny to  cold blooded with the trade news