Poll

Would you deal Horford, Crowder, Rozier and a non nets/LA 1st for LeBron?

Yes
25 (61%)
No
16 (39%)

Total Members Voted: 40

Author Topic: Would you buy low on LeBron?  (Read 4839 times)

Re: Would you buy low on LeBron?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 09:05:38 PM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
A thought I can't seem to shake lately is what if Lebron sacrifices pay for a legit run at Golden State? If so, we're the best and most likely fit. We all know Lebron is destined for billionairedom, if not already, is it that far fetched that he would say, hey I'll sign for the mid level to form a super contender rival in the East. Imagine we revisit Anthony Davis (I know, I know...), Lebron would be looking at a lineup of IT-Hayward-Lebron-AD-Horford, with a decent bench, that lineup smashes the W's. There could even be a sign and trade scenario if he prefers more dough and we ship out Horford and a pick.

Pipe dream? Likely. But with the current NBA landscape, crazy moves are being made. It makes more sense to me than going to LA and pairing with PG13 to get crushed by the Warriors for his final years. If he wants to add rings to his legacy, going West ain't gonna help.

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 10:08:43 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
The fact that 1 out of every 4 voters is voting "No" means this is a good thread and reasonable debate.

I personally think it's INSANE that we wouldn't offer any amount to get Lebron... he's been in the NBA finals for the last 7 years straight...

I'd literally trade whatever it took to get him because it would essentially guarantee title contention.

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 10:31:06 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
The fact that 1 out of every 4 voters is voting "No" means this is a good thread and reasonable debate.

I personally think it's INSANE that we wouldn't offer any amount to get Lebron... he's been in the NBA finals for the last 7 years straight...

I'd literally trade whatever it took to get him because it would essentially guarantee title contention.

If Lebron truly wanted to come to the Cs, he could easily tell the Cavs that he wants to be traded and that the only team he will agree to go to is the Celtics. Also, if they don't trade him, he will definitely leave next year so they might as well take what they can get (and keep Kyrie in the process).

I don't really see this happening, but it would certainly allow us to keep more of our 'assets' than if he hit the open market.

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 10:47:11 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

You'd be replacing Ainge and Stevens, and tearing down a core that was being created for the future.  All for 1-2 years of a rental that wouldn't take us an further than the Celtics now.  Pretty horrible outcome.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 10:58:40 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
To me, the question reads: would you be willing to get a good value for the best player in the NBA?

Umm, yup.

I don't see how people would say no to this. We have nothing close to Lebron. IT is miles away from him.

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2017, 11:17:37 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
To me, the question reads: would you be willing to get a good value for the best player in the NBA?

Umm, yup.

I don't see how people would say no to this. We have nothing close to Lebron. IT is miles away from him.

You'd be replacing Ainge and Stevens, and tearing down a core that was being created for the future.  All for 1-2 years of a rental that wouldn't take us an further than the Celtics now.  Pretty horrible outcome.

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2017, 12:17:53 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Umm, yup.

You wrote this reply to a few posters. How is buying low via Horford, Crowder and Rozier tearing down the future? Also based on rumors LeBron isn't exactly looking to dictate front office moves in his next destination. It's rumored he wants a good family environment. Players and their families seem to like Boston so getting him here may sway him to commit here. So I would not see how clashing with Stevens or Danny or it being an absolute rental is a foregone conclusion.

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2017, 01:36:25 AM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson

Umm, yup.

You wrote this reply to a few posters. How is buying low via Horford, Crowder and Rozier tearing down the future? Also based on rumors LeBron isn't exactly looking to dictate front office moves in his next destination. It's rumored he wants a good family environment. Players and their families seem to like Boston so getting him here may sway him to commit here. So I would not see how clashing with Stevens or Danny or it being an absolute rental is a foregone conclusion.

That trade wouldn't happen.  In a tear-down, they'll be looking for high-upside youth like Tatum, Brown, and future picks. And while I haven't read the rumors, it's hard to believe LeBron is an entirely new person -- fresh outlook on life, all aspects of his career, etc.   

He wouldn't just "clash" -- he's the clear decision-maker for his franchise.  He also wouldn't wouldn't change our standing as the likely #2 team in the East (or Finals r/u).  Trading him for potentially 1-2 more playoff wins, at the sacrifice of our future, would thus be stupid.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 02:01:01 AM by tarheelsxxiii »

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2017, 02:14:46 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

Umm, yup.

That trade wouldn't happen.  In a tear-down, they'll be looking for high-upside youth like Tatum, Brown, and future picks. And while I haven't read the rumors, it's hard to believe LeBron is an entirely new person -- fresh outlook on life, all aspects of his career, etc.   

He wouldn't just "clash" -- he's the clear decision-maker for his franchise.  He also wouldn't wouldn't change our standing as the likely #2 team in the East (or Finals r/u).  Trading him for potentially 1-2 more playoff wins, at the sacrifice of our future, would thus be stupid.
Doesn't matter if you say the trade wouldn't happen the question is if you would buy low, it's a simple question answered yes or no. You can't go after posters using the logic of it will cost more in your opinion.

Now if you want to say no because you think he will destroy the coach and gm that's k.

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2017, 03:14:02 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
The thing is: LeBron goes where he wants, so let's not bother with trades or so. If he wishes to go somewhere, some room will be made this or that way.

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2017, 06:29:23 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Nope, I would would not he has no loyalty but to himself.   Dude is the ultimate mercenary in b-ball.   He is the anti-Celtic pride guy playing only for himself.

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2017, 07:04:47 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Nope, I would would not he has no loyalty but to himself.   Dude is the ultimate mercenary in b-ball.   He is the anti-Celtic pride guy playing only for himself.

Loyalty ??? in pro sports ????

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2017, 07:15:22 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

Umm, yup.

I don't know where you have heard those rumors.  Many more sources say that Lebron would prefer an LA team or a superteam in Houston.  This is much more in line with Lebron than "a good family environment."

Tarheels is right that the Celtics would instantly become Lebron's team.  He would be more powerful than Ainge and Stevens.  He will always dominate over his coaches and he will never be able to help himself from getting involved with front office moves.

Trading Horford, Crowder, and Rozier (with no picks) looks good on paper for this year.  We would be an awesome team.  But I think it would really set us back long term from what Ainge and Stevens have established.

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2017, 08:32:02 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860

Umm, yup.

Unfortunately defining "good value" is difficult.  James is almost certainly a one year rental.  I would be happy to start a trade with Horford (salary ballast) but then I would think that CLE would want a haul of young players and/or top picks.  So here is the potential range of what we give up (I think I am being realistic):

1.   Horford + LAL/PHI Pick
2.   Horford + LAL/PHI Pick + Brown
3.   Horford + LAL/PHI Pick + Brown + BKN 2018
4.   Horford + LAL/PHI Pick + Brown + BKN 2018 + Tatum

I don't think the likes of Crowder and Rozier are factors at all in a possible trade for LeBron James.  I don't think future Celtics picks (our own picks) or even guys like Zizic and Yabusele would add much but they could be added in to any of these packages as garnish if you want.  Horford is the salary ballast and a decent player with value (who could be flipped by CLE for more younger players).  We have assets, that is for sure but do we give them up for a one year rental of a truly great albeit disruptive player.

I just don't see "low" as being all that low so no, I don't see this happening.

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2017, 09:27:21 AM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
It may be old news (Jul 24, 2017), but it seems that LeBron has no intention of waiving his no-trade clause to facilitate a rebuild.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20140756/lebron-james-not-waive-no-trade-clause-cleveland-cavaliers

Sources: LeBron James will not waive his no-trade clause for Cavs

No matter the reconstruction of the Cleveland Cavaliers' roster, no matter the potential for heightened inner turmoil, no matter the win-loss record, and with or without Kyrie Irving, LeBron James will not waive his no-trade clause for any teams at any point during the 2017-18 season, league sources told ESPN.