Author Topic: A positive thread about race relations and basketball  (Read 166 times)

A positive thread about race relations and basketball
« on: August 16, 2017, 01:20:39 PM »

Online FatKidsDad

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 41
Some of you may remember, or may have heard about, the Cinderella story of the 1969-70 Jacksonville (FL) University basketball team. JU rose out of nowhere to challenge and almost topple mighty UCLA for the NCAA championship.

Along the way, they were able to unify a racially divided Southern city just recently emerged from institutionalized segregation. The positive impact of the community rallying around a racially mixed team persists to this day.

My friend Tom Wasdin, who was the assistant coach of that team, asked me to look at a preview of an upcoming documentary about the team and its impact and to tell him what I think.

In light of what is going on in the world, and on the other thread, I thought I would share it. You can see it here:

http://jacksonvillewho.com/

It is a great bit of history, and features two Celtics connections as well: Artis Gilmore and Rex Morgan.
"If everyone is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking." - George S. Patton

"Live so that when your children think of fairness and integrity,they think of you." -   H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Re: A positive thread about race relations and basketball
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 01:25:30 PM »

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Kyrie Irving
  • Tommy Points: 132
The late Rex Morgan was drafted by the Celtics in the second round.

edit: oops sorry the OP noted this.