Author Topic: The four-year rebuilding project that has transformed the Celtics  (Read 1673 times)

Re: The four-year rebuilding project that has transformed the Celtics
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 11:14:22 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
TP on posting a great article. It really shows the scope of Danny's overhaul:

The Celtics made more than 70 major moves over the past four years, including 21 trades that helped bring back 16 future draft picks -- and plenty of win shares (WS) -- to Boston.

In all, Ainge made 11 trades in a seven-month span, including one stretch in January when the Celtics completed four swaps in a week. The Celtics carried a staggering 41 different players during the regular season but emerged from all the wheeling and dealing with Crowder and another building block: Isaiah Thomas.

He's turned this team around in a short time frame and did it without ever sacrificing the future (guys like Jaylen and Tatum). Danny reminds me of the guy who once traded a paperclip for a house (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One_red_paperclip) - winning every trade in turn to get more and more. I find it interesting that while most other GMs get criticized about the trades they make, the naysayers here can only complain about the ones Danny didn't make.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 11:19:34 AM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Great article.  Has Danny Ainge EVER "lost" a trade?

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 11:20:17 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
In the 3 ways to acquire players Ainge is a master trader, good in FA (with help from BS), and average drafter (which I'm fine with as it can be such a crapshoot with 19 year olds.)

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 11:26:18 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
In the 3 ways to acquire players Ainge is a master trader, good in FA (with help from BS), and average drafter (which I'm fine with as it can be such a crapshoot with 19 year olds.)

I find drafting so hard to evaluate in a systematic way. We can certainly point to good and bad draft picks, but there doesn't seem to be a good and bad way to account for position in a draft. Similarly, we can point to "missed" draft picks (e.g., the Greek Freak), but we also need to penalize other GMs for passing on him too.

In any case, good article, TP, thanks for posting.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 11:55:43 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I hate these types of articles that praises the transformation of the Celtics and how they turned it all around and what not, when we've won crap yet.

Sure, good job all-round rebuilding and what not, but yeah... I prefer the low-key underdogs narrative to the "we've made it" type of narrative.

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 12:01:19 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I hate these types of articles that praises the transformation of the Celtics and how they turned it all around and what not, when we've won crap yet.

Sure, good job all-round rebuilding and what not, but yeah... I prefer the low-key underdogs narrative to the "we've made it" type of narrative.

Get used to it. We're not underdogs any more. We're contenders.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.