Author Topic: Do the Celtics have to go over the cap to win it all?  (Read 503 times)

Do the Celtics have to go over the cap to win it all?
« on: August 16, 2017, 09:53:41 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
I don't have a clue as to what the latest NBA salary cap deal is all about. All I know is that we have had to give up players over the past two years in order to keep or sign other players because of it.
Recent examples include trading away Avery and letting Kelly and Amir walk in order to sign Hayward and (I presume) leave cap space for signing Isaiah next year.

Yes, I realize we may have acquired equal or better talent in Hayward, Baynes, Morris, Larkin, Theis, etc. That's not the argument here. The question I'm asking is, do the Celtics have to go way over the salary cap to have a chance at winning an NBA Championship? And, can they do it? (I'm presuming they do not have enough talent to win it all as the team now stands.)

Let's say after next season the Celtics decide to give Isaiah a $30 million contract. Would they have to go over the cap to sign Marcus Smart? If so, could they also sign another free agent?

I thought that if a team went over the cap they couldn't sign free agents. Yet, it seems Cleveland does it regularly? 

Re: Do the Celtics have to go over the cap to win it all?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 10:03:26 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Every contender in recent memory has been over the salary cap, I would guess. We're over the cap now.

More concerning to teams is the luxury tax, which is very punitive. Teams can spend as much as they want but for every dollar spent over the luxury tax, there are severe financial penalties that ownership is required to pay.  There are a ton of nuances here; if you want to look into it in detail try http://www.cbafaq.com

We'll avoid the tax this year. Next season will be tougher. Signing IT, Smart, and two top-5 picks (along without own pick) could potentially become cost prohibitive.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes