Author Topic: morris is just what we needed  (Read 6862 times)

Re: morris is just what we needed
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 05:19:48 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I can't wait to see Morris on the floor and I hope his does not get suspended due to his trial.

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 06:47:29 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Brad also has the gift of making players better! Morris should become more efficient have cleaner more open corner threes-
Whats this got to do with green -A snarky comment
" Sarcasm is angers ugly cousin"-quote from JACK
Green did his job during playoffs he was one of the few who created their own offense
We have a lot of shooters now
Green had a great attitude and helped Jaylen
 he was a good vet to have around

I love this. Moiso bringing up Gerald Green was dumb. If it was an attempt at humor, it flopped. Yuuge flop. Very sad Moiso.

I liked Green for what he did. I also think Morris will be good for what he was brought in to do. I love how the Morris twins play with toughness. Lebron might get his 40 points, but Morris is going to get him in the ribs or somewhere else a couple times during the process.

I found it hilarious after reading thread after thread from the OP how Green was going to be one of the Celtics best players and exactly what the C's needed last offseason.

I like Rollie and enjoy reading his posts and everyone is entitled to their opinions but the joke was funny IMO.

Thread after thread and i don't think i ever stated he would be one of the celtics best players-i referenced his contribution along with isaiah, as a highly ranked duo in western conference-his attempts to play defence in miami and how good he could be with isaiah in transition

This part is simply not true. Thomas only played 46 games with the Suns. In fact, Thomas only averaged 25 mpg, while Green was only at 19 mpg. They were NOT a highly ranked duo.

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 07:41:40 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Brad also has the gift of making players better! Morris should become more efficient have cleaner more open corner threes-
Green did his job during playoffs he was one of the few who created their own offense

I love this. Moiso bringing up Gerald Green was dumb. If it was an attempt at humor, it flopped. Yuuge flop. Very sad Moiso.

I liked Green for what he did. I also think Morris will be good for what he was brought in to do. I love how the Morris twins play with toughness. Lebron might get his 40 points, but Morris is going to get him in the ribs or somewhere else a couple times during the process.

I found it hilarious after reading thread after thread from the OP how Green was going to be one of the Celtics best players and exactly what the C's needed last offseason.

I like Rollie and enjoy reading his posts and everyone is entitled to their opinions but the joke was funny IMO.

Thread after thread and i don't think i ever stated he would be one of the celtics best players-i referenced his contribution along with isaiah, as a highly ranked duo in western conference-his attempts to play defence in miami and how good he could be with isaiah in transition

This part is simply not true. Thomas only played 46 games with the Suns. In fact, Thomas only averaged 25 mpg, while Green was only at 19 mpg. They were NOT a highly ranked duo.

They did average 16 minutes a night together though and definitely were effective and had some great chemistry:

Which makes it odd that, outside of a small pocket of basketball fans, the Isaiah Thomas and Gerald Green bench unit for the Phoenix Suns is getting such little attention.

Green and Thomas average about 16 minutes per night together for the Suns, typically in the second and fourth quarters and when they enter there is only one guarantee. One of the two is probably shooting the ball.
So far this season the two are launching a combined 37.5 shots per 36 minutes with Green at an astounding 20.5 and Thomas at 17, both career highs. There are threes (15.8 per 36 minutes combined), dunks (check out this alley oop connection between the two) and foul shots. There are dumb shots, good shots and everything in between. Mostly though there is fun.

It all came to a head on Thursday against the Nets, when Green and Thomas combined for 49 points on 28 shots in a come-from-behind 112-104 Suns win. Like a few nights this season it started with Green who finished with 28 points. After a few buckets from Green to help the Suns get back into the game, Thomas seemed to just steal the fire right from his teammates hands, as he poured in 17 of his 21 points in the second half, with Green seeming more than happy to allow his teammate to work.

That is what makes the pairing work so well, a willingness by two gunners to share the spotlight, and it shows in their numbers. With Thomas off the floor, Green’s field goal percentage drops from 41.9 percent to 38.5 percent, while Thomas sees an even more massive jump from 29.3 percent shooting with Green on the bench to 53.4 percent when the duo share the floor.

The Suns are still trying to figure things out as a team as they have stumbled out to a 5-5 start while trying to adjust to life without Channing Frye and incorporate Thomas into a crowded guard rotation.

But one thing seems clear. Keep
Gerald Green and Isaiah Thomas together. More people should get a chance to experience the fun of dual gunners and the pair clearly has something special working.

https://hardwoodparoxysm.com/2014/11/18/gerald-green-isaiah-thomas-bench-pairing-deserves-attention/

That team had 4 good guards so IT's (the Suns obviously didn't think that highly of him...thankfully) and Green's PT wasn't starter minutes, but they were very effective together.

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 11:57:03 PM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699

I found it dumb, esp since rollie never stated that Green was going to be one of our best players. He has stated he will be a contributor and one of the important part of our lockerroom and his addition was underrated.

« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2017, 12:55:41 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 617
Interesting to see if his rebounding numbers go up.

Also if he starts a fight at one point.

Otherwise he is just a decent vet. Hope to see more Theis, Tatum, and the Truck to be honest.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2017, 01:07:10 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
TP to Rollie for looking ahead in a positive light.

And another TP for "Rolodex of Resentments".
I've never heard that but hope to use it on someone someday.

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2017, 01:07:24 AM »

Offline Ilikesports17

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 842
I don't get why Morris is considered only a "small ball" PF.  Here are some players and their pre-draft without shoes measurements:

Crowder       6' 4.75"
Morris          6' 7.00"
Love            6' 7.75"
Sullinger      6' 7.75"
Horford        6' 8.75"

Yes, he is just what we need, a PF.  I guess Baynes and Horford could be the starters but I would be surprised.  I think our starting and most featured bigs will be Morris and Horford.  And if you like standing reach (which may be a better indicator of length):

Crowder       8' 3.50"
Morris          8' 9.50"
Love            8' 10.0"
Sullinger      8' 9.75"
Horford        8' 11.0"

Still I see many line ups that have Crowder playing PF.  Crowder is undersized for SF, much less a PF.  Morris may be a tad below ideal for PF but Sullinger and Horford are considered PF/C.  Love is clearly considered a PF.  But not Morris?  I admit I am not all that familiar with his game but I don't see why we would need to play him anywhere but PF.
Just because a player has the size to be a power forward doesnt make him one.

He has never been a good rebounder and hes had by FAR the best years of his career playing the 3.
Quote from: George W. Bush
Too often, we judge other groups by their worst examples while judging ourselves by our best intentions.

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2017, 01:52:34 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Exactly. TP to the OP, Morris is a combo forward that can be a very good super sub or even starter if we go small.
I expect this team will go small more often than you might think.  They are still a small team overall.  Morris should take minutes from Crowder when CBS wants more firepower on the court.  A lineup of IT, Hayward, Crowder, Morris and Horford will create some interesting matchup problems for other teams.
And will cause some interesting ones for us as well, I'm tired od getting outrebounded, even more so now that we have the size to play at C in Baynes and Zizic.
So, I just think this is an old school way of looking at it.  NBA is changing and tends to be a "copy-cat" league.  EXHIBIT ONE: GSW. Great shooters obviously, solid defense plus enough rebounding to get by.
We have the 1st two down but I'm really skeptical whether a Morris-Horford frontcourt provides "enough rebounding to get by".
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2017, 03:52:44 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233

At one time they were ranked number 1 duo off bench with 28 point average-sorry didn't make that up. i was in print in several articles along with how exciting they were to watch together in transition. Isaiah at 15 points Green 14-Isaiah was also quoted multiple times saying he was" definitely going to help"-said a "knockdown shooter, athletic and can create"-just went back a re read articles
"The number one duo off bench at 28.9" --from print

Back to Marcus Morris not only does he fit a need and is an upgrade to several players leaving-he has a definite trade value,he spreads the floor,brad is NOW his coach ,gives lebron trouble,will be more efficient with celtics, a cheap contract and van gundy didn't like giving him up.
Morris was probably not rebound motivated as detroits big was given that area and so good at it and could possibly been protective off his stat line.
But we came out with a player in prime that could easily become more efficient with celtics,plays good defense and matches up well against lebron  and can play multiple positions-
Fits well with Marcus Crowder,Rozier,
CONTRACT FIT-2 YEARS CHEAP and easy to trade
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 04:22:31 AM by rollie mass »

« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2017, 05:22:08 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
Morris was very durable  and was Detroits bailout guy that was sneakily a high volume shooter and was very inefficient because of that >There were some really strong stats that got lost in his inefficiency.Brad strength is in spotting good and bad match ups and his adjustments make players better.
Nobody is saying morris is great but he has attributes that Brad can focus on while minimizing areas and matchups that are inefficient.There will be bailout guys on first team and the 2nd team may need that.Maybe he will feast on our 2nd team with its young talent vs other teams bench players.
Morris in many ways reminds me of Turner in that Brad can bring out the best as he did with Turner and others.
For two years morris was a constant starter because of durability and there was nobody pressuring his minutes and  it was just very convenient.With brad sometimes good is great-having morris on catch and shoots and corner threes and is upgrade to Jerebko.
Who also had his moments with brads direction

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2017, 09:18:20 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
For me it's simple.

Morris gives us length and that was a need.

He gives us above average  NBA rotation level performance at the 3 or 4.

He will get plenty of minutes unless he really bombs but I don't see that.

Doesn't matter if he starts or not, Brad will find him a place and get the best out of him if any coach can.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2017, 10:18:07 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

At one time they were ranked number 1 duo off bench with 28 point average-sorry didn't make that up. i was in print in several articles along with how exciting they were to watch together in transition. Isaiah at 15 points Green 14-Isaiah was also quoted multiple times saying he was" definitely going to help"-said a "knockdown shooter, athletic and can create"-just went back a re read articles
"The number one duo off bench at 28.9" --from print.

If that duo was so outstanding then you would think Thomas wouldn't have been traded for a late 1st rd pick and that wouldn't have been Green's final season in Phoenix (he went to Miami on a veteran minimum contract). Again, the deadly duo only lasted 43 games. Plus, it's far different to say, "highly ranked duo in western conference" vs "number 1 duo off bench." I don't have issues with the latter as long as you're describing their scoring output and not basing it on 2-way abilities, which neither possesses.

I actually like Morris a lot. I think he is going to be extremely solid for us, as he can give us quality minutes at the 4. That said, Moiso brought up the comment to point out you have a knack of overrating mediocrity (see Gerald Green) with exaggerating statements about their skills.

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2017, 11:11:05 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
"If that duo was so outstanding and it was number 1 off the bench duo
 Isaiah wouldn't have been traded for so little"-you are really pushing it !!!-Phoenix screwed up big time and isaiah's three seasons and green contribution to playoffs are history
I used quotes from brad of fearing green and iasiah calling him a deadly shooter and he will help the celtics-
This was a morris topic!! Now your pulling me up for calling them a deadly duo in western conference vs number 1 duo off bench your splitting hairs about some posts from a year ago-
-What happened in chicago playoffs-green went off and that wasn't mediocrity it was electric for that time and place--

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2017, 07:35:20 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
Yes, I'm even assuming Morris will start and play heavy-ish minutes.

IT 35 / Smart 13
Hayward 20 / Smart 19 / Brown 9
Crowder 12 / Hayward 12 / Brown 12 / Tatum 12
Morris 28 / Crowder 20
Horford 32 / Baynes 16
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2017, 08:58:42 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
Yes, I'm even assuming Morris will start and play heavy-ish minutes.

IT 35 / Smart 13
Hayward 20 / Smart 19 / Brown 9
Crowder 12 / Hayward 12 / Brown 12 / Tatum 12
Morris 28 / Crowder 20
Horford 32 / Baynes 16

I agree about Morris, though Ainge says he has Tatum in mind, long-term, for the swing/4 spot. 20 pounds and a year of NBA defense might be the prerequisite. Ojeleye has the body to back that position up, too.

By the same token, Crowder is now less appealing as swing, but a great choice as the first backup wing.

Per Brad Stevens, Brown will be guarding smaller players (more "2" than "3", that is), and even mentioned having him guard ballhandlers.

By the same token, Hayward is better guarding larger players. So I'd switch some of Brown's and Hayward's minutes.

Horford/Baynes distribution is very sensible - you've got 32/16 which I think is about right.

No need for Isaiah to play 35 minutes - it's a long season.