Author Topic: Stay the Course Danny!  (Read 1886 times)

Stay the Course Danny!
« on: August 15, 2017, 02:59:31 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
There's a lot of rumor out there surrounding additional trades and major changes. Lately this last one about Kyrie. The surefire way to destroy the long-term viability of this team would be to go chasing after a tier 2 all star like Kyrie. He is arguably not even an upgrade over IT. And to give up a player with such huge upside like Tatum along with a draft pick?! That is insane. We are in a perfect situation. We are contenders now in the East. We have a perfect balance of veterans and youth with upside. And we have the best supply of draft picks in the league.

Why on earth is this even a debate. Best case scenario Kyrie is a little better than IT and we lose to Golden State badly in the finals. The only player that we could add that even possibly would give us the ability to beat them would be Lebron. He isn't coming here. And last years finals showed he can't beat them.

If we are smart we plan on it all coming together in 3 years. At that point there will be enough change on the Warriors and possible decline in play of some that we can win a banner. Then if things go right WE can be the next dynasty and hang multiple banners. Think people!!

Re: Stay the Course Danny!
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 03:14:45 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
All predicated, of course, on conclusions no one really knows: Tatum will be a star. Jaylen will be a star. The 18 draft pick will be a star. Thomas will resign.

Although, it is fun to see the sudden surge of interest in keeping IT after all the "don't pay him" rhetoric on this board.

Does Ainge want a bird in the hand, or two or three little ones in the bush.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 05:04:16 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1773
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I can't see Danny giving up Tatum in a deal for Irving; the upgrade just isn't there.

However, with the Cavs also interested in Porzingis, it would probably be prudent of Danny to see if the Knicks might bite on a deal where they receive IT, Crowder, and a (non BKN/LAL) pick/young player if he really doesn't want to sign IT to a max and prefers Irving.

If you are in the camp on not wanting to sign IT long term (not saying I am), then this would be the best of all worlds. The Cavs clearly get worse, the Knicks clearly become better than the Nets, and we have a clear path to the finals.

So, yeah, I generally agree with staying the course. Brown/Tatum/BKN pick/LAL pick may never become superstars (one or two should), but they sure give us something to look forward to while competing now.

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 09:19:26 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
All predicated, of course, on conclusions no one really knows: Tatum will be a star. Jaylen will be a star. The 18 draft pick will be a star. Thomas will resign.

Although, it is fun to see the sudden surge of interest in keeping IT after all the "don't pay him" rhetoric on this board.

So you're saying that because it is an uncertainty we should give up multiple top end of the draft picks who have a big chance of being stars (at least one of them) and sign a marginally better player in Kyrie who is much less likely to re-sign than IT is?! Neither player is a franchise changing player, yet one of those picks has a shot of being that. I'm a Duke fan and so I want to like Kyrie, however he is a selfish player who is concerned about himself more than the team or winning. And you'd give up all that possibility for that? Just because we aren't certain what they might become? We do know what Kyrie is and that's just a second tier star. Pass.

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 10:21:36 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

kyrie is pretty close to IT

i'd say kyrie is a bit better

but he already has a bird in the hand AND 3 in the bush

he'd end up with one in hand and 1 or 2 in the bush
I trust Danny Ainge