Author Topic: WOJ - Cavs focused on young players and not Vets  (Read 1391 times)

WOJ - Cavs focused on young players and not Vets
« on: August 15, 2017, 12:25:03 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
I feel like a bit lost in the raging discussion of a Celtics and Cavs play people may have missed this mini WOJ bomb from the article:

"Cleveland is determined to get an elite young player for Irving, which means this: The trade plan that the Cavaliers would have prioritized, with James committed for the long term -- veterans to surround James and draft picks -- isn't in motion. If the Cavaliers knew they had James committed, for example, San Antonio could emerge as a more intriguing trade partner. The Spurs have interest in Irving, league sources say, and Irving's willingness to commit to an extension with the Spurs makes for legitimate win-now deal possibilities for Cleveland. Without James beyond next season, though, the likes of LaMarcus Aldridge, Tony Parker and Danny Green hold no appeal."

This is really great news for the Celtics if it is true. Some of the ideas floated around in the article, such as a trade of Irving for Porzingas etc would make the Celtics the clear favorites to win the east (at least from linesmakers in Vegas) and is a very exciting development.

Re: WOJ - Cavs focused on young players and not Vets
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 12:35:13 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
TP for the find. Intriguing.

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 12:54:25 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
At this point, the Cavs should just be begging James to trade him...to whatever team he chooses. If he is not going to commit to remaining with the team beyond next season, then I don't really see why he would absolutely feel the need to play for them in this upcoming one.

I guess I am jumping to the assumption that Irving wants to leave because of Lebron and would be satisfied if he were gone, but that doesn't seem like a huge jump with him following many other Cavs team members on Instagram (besides Lebron).

Trading James would add another legitimate piece(s) to that team and perhaps Irving would want to stay with a strong core still in place.

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 01:14:16 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
This is really great news for the Celtics if it is true. Some of the ideas floated around in the article, such as a trade of Irving for Porzingas etc would make the Celtics the clear favorites to win the east (at least from linesmakers in Vegas) and is a very exciting development.

Porzingis would be an upgrade over Kyrie. He would be awesome in Cleveland next to LeBron and K-Love. The floor spacing from those two big men would be incredible. And with LeBron running the offense, wow!

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 01:33:44 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298

Porzingis would be an upgrade over Kyrie. He would be awesome in Cleveland next to LeBron and K-Love. The floor spacing from those two big men would be incredible. And with LeBron running the offense, wow!

I think that I will have to respectfully disagree with both of you. Porzingis is not an upgrade over Kyrie. If Cleveland trades Kyrie for Porzingis, then Cleveland is still the favorite to win the East.

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 02:16:29 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393

I think that I will have to respectfully disagree with both of you. Porzingis is not an upgrade over Kyrie. If Cleveland trades Kyrie for Porzingis, then Cleveland is still the favorite to win the East.

I am not really sure how one can think Porzingas for Irving is an upgrade for this coming season. Porzingas did not show a ton of improvement between his rookie and sophomore season statistically (he show a little better and scored a few more points in 4 more minutes). I also think it would still benefit him a bit to bulk up. However, where are they playing Porzingas? A starting frontcourt of Love and Porzingas would get eaten alive inside (obviously it would be tough to defend on the other end). It also would put their best rebounder (and only think he is great at in Thompson on the bench). I get there are some warts to Kyrie's game, especially defensively but he is a truly elite shot creator and a perennial all-star while Porzingas is just not at that level. Furthermore, people are kind of glossing over the fact that Kyrie carrying a lot of load offensively really allows soon to be 33 year old Lebron to conserve some energy.

I don't really know how people would think a starting lineup of Rose, Smith, Lebron, Love and Porzingas (which a weak aging bench save Thompson) would be favored over IT, Smart, Hayward, Morris, Horford with a stacked bench featuring Crowder and Brown.  My best guess is that people don't realize how good Hayward is. He is a surefire all-star that has a chance to start in the all-star game this year.