Author Topic: Woj: Boston has interest in Irving, no formal offer made yet. Cavs like Tatum  (Read 18155 times)

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Irving is a great player and this will be a very difficult decision for Danny.  I'd love to have him but I'm really undecided how best to pull it off mostly because IT means so much to the team.

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Do not want Kyrie here. Too selfish. I'd hate having to watch him play 100 times a year.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Three way trade idea

To Knicks: IT4, Shumpert, Crowder
To Cavs: Melo, Rozier,  Ntilikina,  Knicks 1st, Celtics 1st non lotto
To Celtics: Kyrie

Horford
Morris
Hayward
Smart
Kyrie

Baynes/Zizic
Semi/Yabu
Tatum
Brown
Larkin

Good?

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I think Irving is an upgrade over Thomas, especially Irving for the next 6 yrs (25-31) vs Thomas for the next 5 (28-33) for similar total money.

But I also now fall into the camp of thinking Tatum (4 yr rookie scale+probable 20%max rookie extension for 4 yrs) +Thomas is too much for Irving, so it would have to be some 3 team deal where Thomas goes somewhere, Tatum to cleveland, Irving and something else useful coming back here.

Offline BMark

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 16
Three way trade idea

To Knicks: IT4, Shumpert, Crowder
To Cavs: Melo, Rozier,  Ntilikina,  Knicks 1st, Celtics 1st non lotto
To Celtics: Kyrie

Horford
Morris
Hayward
Smart
Kyrie

Baynes/Zizic
Semi/Yabu
Tatum
Brown
Larkin

Good?

I hope that Rosier stays.  Without Rosier our third ball handler is Larkin, although you can make the case that Hayward is the de factor third ball handler.

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
KI is leaving now or next year. Cavs are in a mess and have a strong incentive to try to trade him.

If we clearly win such a trade, you do it. Otherwise, don't.

IT and Tatum for Irving is a don't.

Agreed. Cs are in no hurry to trade. We have a nice team. Of course, if there is a good trade to be had, go for it. Just that I haven't seen anything resembling "good trade" that is realistic.
Celtics fan for life.

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I don't understand the narrative that Irving is selfish and doesn't care about winning, since he wants to be traded and get out from under LeBron's shadow. If I recall correctly, there are many people on this very site, who want nothing to do with LeBron coming to Boston because of the circus that he brings. Do those people not care about winning too?

BTW, Irving's deadpan comment that the world is flat, is the joke that keeps on giving. I got the joke when I first heard it. The best part of it, there are still people convinced that he thinks the world is flat and are still commenting on it on social media.

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
In theory it makes sense to trade for a younger elite PG.

In the real world I question Irving as a good teammate, and he doesn't seem to have the intangibles Thomas has as a leader.  Also I worry about locker room disruption as Thomas was a key reason Horford and Hayward signed here.  It may leave a sour taste on some players on the team.

Plus we'll have to trade additional assets as well as Thomas just to get him.

I say stay away and hope he gets traded out west.

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Here's how the "conversations" are going:

Cleveland: "We want IT, Tatum, Brown, Crowder, the Nets pick and the Lakers/Kings pick for Irving."

Boston: "We'll give you Daniel Theis, Kadeem Allen and a couple of second round picks. We'll throw in Tatum, but it's going to be Drederick, not Jayson."

Irving may be going somewhere this season, but it's not gonna be Boston.

Mike

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Here's how the "conversations" are going:

Cleveland: "We want IT, Tatum, Brown, Crowder, the Nets pick and the Lakers/Kings pick for Irving."

Boston: "We'll give you Daniel Theis, Kadeem Allen and a couple of second round picks. We'll throw in Tatum, but it's going to be Drederick, not Jayson."

Irving may be going somewhere this season, but it's not gonna be Boston.

Mike
TP for the Simpsons reference, haha.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I guess, for example, if you could turn Thomas an Tatum inti Kyrie and Aaron Gordon or Kyrie and Faried or Kyrie and bledsoe or something, would that change it?

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
So, I would deal for Kyrie and it would eb something like this: 

Kyrie and a second for IT, Crowder, and the Memphis or LAC 1st......

Anything else, is a no-go!
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
if anything, be the third team and try to fleece the Knucklebockers... but keep IT in Boston and keep Irving far from the Cs:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yagprlby

To Boston: Porzingis
To Cleveland: Rozier, Melo and a future NY pick
To NY: Crowder, Frye, Irving and BOS 2019 first rounder

would hate to see Crowder and Rozier go, but Porzingis might be worth it. If CLE/NY think that's too much for the Cs, so be it, I'd gladly stand pat.

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
if anything, be the third team and try to fleece the Knucklebockers... but keep IT in Boston and keep Irving far from the Cs:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yagprlby

To Boston: Porzingis
To Cleveland: Rozier, Melo and a future NY pick
To NY: Crowder, Frye, Irving and BOS 2019 first rounder

would hate to see Crowder and Rozier go, but Porzingis might be worth it. If CLE/NY think that's too much for the Cs, so be it, I'd gladly stand pat.

We're not gonna get Porzingis for Crowder/Rozier/a late first.  You'd have to replace Crowder or Rozier with Jaylen or Jayson, or swap the 2019 Celtics pick with the 2018 Nets pick for the conversation to even start
I'm bitter.

Offline merkins

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 15
I don't understand the narrative that Irving is selfish and doesn't care about winning, since he wants to be traded and get out from under LeBron's shadow. If I recall correctly, there are many people on this very site, who want nothing to do with LeBron coming to Boston because of the circus that he brings. Do those people not care about winning too?

BTW, Irving's deadpan comment that the world is flat, is the joke that keeps on giving. I got the joke when I first heard it. The best part of it, there are still people convinced that he thinks the world is flat and are still commenting on it on social media.

Irving is a critical thinker who challenges universally held truths.  Agreed he isn't contennt and lazy he wants to lead and win. Trade for him, let someone else max IT.