Author Topic: Woj: Boston has interest in Irving, no formal offer made yet. Cavs like Tatum  (Read 18258 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Quote found in the middle of article: http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20343088/lebron-future-impacts-cavaliers-kyrie-irving-trades
"Boston has expressed interest in Irving and could offer the best combination of short-term (Isaiah Thomas and Jae Crowder) and long-term (Jaylen Brown, Jayson Tatum, picks) assets. The Celtics have made no formal offer, and it is against Boston's front-office DNA to push out front with the most generous offer. Boston knows that Cleveland is mostly intrigued with Tatum, but the sides have not formally discussed that deal, league sources said."

Well we like Tatum too :D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 09:37:16 AM by CelticsElite »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I get the need to send out IT (PG for PG) but adding anything more than a very late 1st or a couple of second rounders to the deal would be enough to not make this worth it.  not enough difference in talent to justify paying more.  Certainly not Crowder and/or a top young prospect

Cleveland can go pound sand.  Let them implode from bad team chemistry this year.

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Sounds like a kicking the tires type situation. Still seriously doubt Cleveland would trade him here unless it was an absolute last resort.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Tatum and IT4 contract fillers for Irving...but no future picks

Need to think about it

Irving will go off against the cavs in the ecf

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Unless we flip Irving for someone like AD, it doesn't make any sense. Ainge would never do IT and Tatum for Irving.

There's no way Kyrie and Isaiah could play together.

Unless it was a three-team trade, I don't see it. And I don't believe Cleveland would help facilitate us getting supreme talent in any way.
CELTICS 2024

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031

Need to think about it

I could honestly see LeBron taking Kyrie all series to prove a point, and shut him down.

We've all seen what LeBron can do when extra-motivated, imagine what he's gonna do to Kyrie if he's wearing green?
CELTICS 2024

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Need to think about it

I could honestly see LeBron taking Kyrie all series to prove a point, and shut him down.

We've all seen what LeBron can do when extra-motivated, imagine what he's gonna do to Kyrie if he's wearing green?

LeBron can't move laterally like he used to. Irving would literally abuse him. There is no way James can stay in front of him.

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth

Need to think about it

you can't be seriuos...
IT for Kyrie would be great, and that's one of the best offers that the cavs would be able to facilitate in this position.
Giving the #1 pick and a superstar for a superstar...well you can see that it doesn't add up, at all.
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
this doesn't make much sense to me as the Cavs are crumbling, i am unsure if this is a sure thing, but it does look like Irving is on his way out and even if he is not, the rumors circling that LeBron is leaving again to join his friends does make our future look very bright with our 2 first rounders in Brown and Tatum.

We should be able to take the East as soon as this season as is if the Cavs implode or next season if the Cavs break it up again because LeBron takes his talents out of Cleveland again

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Unless we flip Irving for someone like AD, it doesn't make any sense. Ainge would never do IT and Tatum for Irving.

Unless it was a three-team trade, I don't see it. And I don't believe Cleveland would help facilitate us getting supreme talent in any way.

I'm not completely convinced this is true.  And that's why I'd be very intrigued in Tatum, Smart, and Morris for Kyrie.  I haven't sold myself on it yet, mostly because I don't want to play against Smart in the playoffs.  But that's what I'd look at. 

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Need to think about it

Dear god please no. Our most dynamic offensive player + our most offensively gifted rookie in ages for Kyrie? Danny surely wouldn't even think about it.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
There just isn't a trade that makes sense for both sides here, it's futility.

IT and a recent top pick for Irving is just silly. The article actually goes further suggesting IT, Crowder and Tatum/Brown which is absolute madness. That's approaching an AD type haul which Irving as a player is not worthy of and neither is his contract with only 2 years left.

It's insanity even considering these trades that come up, at least I have the faith that Ainge won't be considering anything like this..

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

I'm not completely convinced this is true.  And that's why I'd be very intrigued in Tatum, Smart, and Morris for Kyrie.  I haven't sold myself on it yet, mostly because I don't want to play against Smart in the playoffs.  But that's what I'd look at.
Good back-courts would abuse us on the defensive end, but on the other end of the court what back-court can match the offensive dynamism of IT and Kyrie.

I still don't see any deal that benefits us.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Given the recent trade returns for superstars, that price seems ridiculous.

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
No, no, and more no...If Kyrie is not happy playing along side LeBron and with participating in 3 straight NBA Finals, he won't be happy here. Trading an playoff-injury-prone malcontent for someone (Tatum) who will hopefully be a cornerstone for the Celtics in years to come would be a disappointment.