Author Topic: Predict next season bottom 5 teams  (Read 4510 times)

Re: Predict next season bottom 5 teams
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 06:46:47 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Chicago
Bkn
Sac
Phoenix
Philly

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2017, 07:19:56 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I do not think the Lakers will be a bottom 5 team this upcoming season.
  • They've got a very good head coach which is an underrated factor in a bad team's success (think celts when Stevens came here)
  • They have no incentive to tank
  • I think the Lonzo Ball effect is real and they'll have an efficient offense.  I especially expect an athletic Julius Randle to be a strong beneficiary running the floor.
  • They've got some solid new starters in KCP and Brook Lopez, both of whom are playing for a new contract.

Bottom 10 yes, but I think enough other teams have incentive to tank that they'll avoid the bottom 5.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2017, 07:22:16 PM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
Chicago
Bkn
Sac
Phoenix
Philly

I don't think Philly is a bottom-5 team. A healthy Embiid made them competitive, but add in Simmon and Fultz, they will get decent. I'd says around 32 wins.

Phoenix should be better than last year, probably approach 30 as well.

Brooklyn and Chicago should be pretty terrible. Atlanta is gonna take a big fall, but by how much?

Out West, you'll see a bunch of teams with similar records down around the bottom of the conference, but probably not near the bottom of the East's worst (which besides the aforementioned should include the Magic and maybe Knicks, depending on what happens with Melo).
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2017, 07:29:39 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
In Order

Bottom 5
Hawks
Bulls
Lakers
Suns
Kings

6-10
Nets
Mavericks
Magic
Pacers
Knicks (if they keep Anthony, if not they go to the bottom 5)

11-14
Jazz
Grizzlies
Pistons
Blazers

East Playoff teams
Celtics
Raptors
Cavs
Bucks
Wizards
Sixers
Heat
Hornets

West Playoff Teams
Warriors
Rockets
Spurs
Thunder
Wolves
Nuggets
Clippers
Pelicans
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2017, 07:31:27 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
  • They've got a very good head coach which is an underrated factor in a bad team's success (think celts when Stevens came here)
  • I think the Lonzo Ball effect is real and they'll have an efficient offense.  I especially expect an athletic Julius Randle to be a strong beneficiary running the floor.
  • They've got some solid new starters in KCP and Brook Lopez, both of whom are playing for a new contract.

Bottom 10 yes, but I think enough other teams have incentive to tank that they'll avoid the bottom 5.

How do we know Walton is a "very good coach"? The only success he's had was as a sub for the best team in the league. "No incentive to tank" doesn't make the team better. The Nets have had "no incentive" for two years now.

We have no evidence of any "Lonzo Ball effect". They couldn't even beat the Celtics SL squad with Lonzo getting a TD.

« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2017, 07:49:25 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
So many bad teams...

1. Sacramento
2. Chicago
3. Atlanta
4. New York Knicks
5. Brooklyn Nets
6. Utah Jazz
7. Indiana Pacers
8. Phoenix Suns
9. Orlando Magic
10. LA Lakers

All of the above will be bad basketball teams.  Then there are lots of teams like Philly, Dallas, Memphis, New Orleans, LAC are one injury away from being really bad with some injury prone players on their team.  This could be an ugly regular season of NBA basketball.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2017, 03:18:00 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
In order:

Chicago
Nets
Lakers
Hawks
Suns

Nets   ;D
Lakers  ;D
Bulls
Hawks
Kings

Pacers, Suns, and Knicks (after they trade Melo) close by.

Bulls aren't bottom 5 until Wade is gone, whenever that may be.

Edit: Looks like Wade isn't going anywhere. He will be in Chicago next year, there's no way they will be bottom 5:

https://pippenainteasy.com/2017/08/14/dwyane-wade-should-come-off-bench/

Nets, Suns, Lakers, Magic, Kings
Do you expect Wade to play much? He's 100% getting bought out at the end of the year as well. Chicago has set itself up to tank this year, I doubt Wade will find too much reason to put his body on the line.

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2017, 03:23:00 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell

How good is Luke Walton? Better than Carlisle? No. Better than Joerger? Not really, Joerger has done more in the past with less. Better than Atkinson? On the same level I suppose but he definitely doesn't inspire his players in the same way.

The only thing Walton did successfully was run Steve Kerr's sets on one of the best teams we've ever seen. Not enough to call him a good coach.

They do have some better players this year, I don't expect them to finish as low as before but they still have little in the way of a bench and they are going to be looking to clear cap space for the summer. Don't be surprised if they move Clarkson or Randle in an effort to move Deng, which won't make them better.

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2017, 04:04:42 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

How do we know Walton is a "very good coach"? The only success he's had was as a sub for the best team in the league. "No incentive to tank" doesn't make the team better. The Nets have had "no incentive" for two years now.

We have no evidence of any "Lonzo Ball effect". They couldn't even beat the Celtics SL squad with Lonzo getting a TD.
Exactly. The Lakers will be trash.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2017, 09:10:38 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
In order:

Chicago
Nets
Lakers
Hawks
Suns

Nets   ;D
Lakers  ;D
Bulls
Hawks
Kings

Edit: Looks like Wade isn't going anywhere. He will be in Chicago next year, there's no way they will be bottom 5:

Do you expect Wade to play much? He's 100% getting bought out at the end of the year as well. Chicago has set itself up to tank this year, I doubt Wade will find too much reason to put his body on the line.

Well he won't be superstar level but a 35-year old Wade is still better than anyone on the Nets roster. Add in Mirotic, Lopez, and Lavine and I just don't see a bottom-5 team here. Wade has to play enough for a decent buyout or a spot on a team next year.

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2017, 10:04:17 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
In order:

Chicago
Nets
Lakers
Hawks
Suns

Nets   ;D
Lakers  ;D
Bulls
Hawks
Kings

Well he won't be superstar level but a 35-year old Wade is still better than anyone on the Nets roster. Add in Mirotic, Lopez, and Lavine and I just don't see a bottom-5 team here. Wade has to play enough for a decent buyout or a spot on a team next year.

I see where you are coming from but I have some serious doubts on it.

Mirotic remains unsigned, he could sign the QO for $7.2m but I don't see how that would benefit Chicago as they wouldn't be able to use him in a trade without his consent. Mirotic likely isn't in their long term plan either.

Lavine is coming back from injury so I don't expect him to set the world alight, even if he comes back strong he is still a defensive sieve that helped propel the Wolves to another uneventful season last year. Wade is already talking buyouts and its not even September. Even if he starts the season on the Bulls he's thinking beyond that, he'll be thinking about being healthy in April on a contender.

Lopez is a good role player but he's not winning you games. He was on a Knicks team that did nothing with Melo, it won't be any different here. Add into all of this that the Chicago front office has zero intention of competing this year, it'll be a massive race to the bottom for them in the hopes that they can turn it around in the space of a few years.

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2017, 11:41:56 AM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
Bottom 5, starting with the worst:

Atlanta
Brooklyn
Indiana
Chicago
Dallas

Mike

« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2017, 11:45:39 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell

Atlanta
Brooklyn
Indiana
Chicago
Dallas

Mike

Hawks have solid coaching and much better roster than the Nets.

« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2017, 01:15:07 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
In order:

Chicago
Nets
Lakers
Hawks
Suns

Nets   ;D
Lakers  ;D
Bulls
Hawks
Kings

I see where you are coming from but I have some serious doubts on it.

Mirotic remains unsigned, he could sign the QO for $7.2m but I don't see how that would benefit Chicago as they wouldn't be able to use him in a trade without his consent. Mirotic likely isn't in their long term plan either.

Lavine is coming back from injury so I don't expect him to set the world alight, even if he comes back strong he is still a defensive sieve that helped propel the Wolves to another uneventful season last year. Wade is already talking buyouts and its not even September. Even if he starts the season on the Bulls he's thinking beyond that, he'll be thinking about being healthy in April on a contender.

Lopez is a good role player but he's not winning you games. He was on a Knicks team that did nothing with Melo, it won't be any different here. Add into all of this that the Chicago front office has zero intention of competing this year, it'll be a massive race to the bottom for them in the hopes that they can turn it around in the space of a few years.

Well I'm not arguing the Bulls will be good. They seem to be a lotto team. That's very different than being the worst team in the entire league, which seems to be what many here are projecting. All I'm saying is a team with Wade, Lopez, Mirotic, LaVine, Dunn, and Portis is going to be good enough to stay out of the bottom 5. Unless they just sit Wade the entire season, which seems unlikely.

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2017, 12:15:20 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Atlanta
Brooklyn
Indiana
Chicago
Dallas

Mike

Hawks have solid coaching and much better roster than the Nets.
the Nets have solid coaching as well and I'd much rather have the Nets roster than the Hawks.  The Hawks are going to be the worst team in the NBA this year.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip