Author Topic: Is there a single team in the league that would take Shumpert?  (Read 1758 times)

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
This is connected to the Irving drama that is going on, but in fact precedes it. We know from the moves they have made this summer that the Cavs are trying to reduce their tax bill this year which currently sits at astronomical.

They seem to be set on moving Shumpert to reduce the bill, they have ample cover at that spot and he'll be easier to move than Smith. The problem is that no one in the league is a real fit for him. They either have a cheaper alternative (Roberson, Bradley) or a more bloated option they would have to move in the deal (Lee, Matthews) or they are a rebuilding side that would need compensation as part of the deal.

Cleveland are going to want more than just a replacement for Kyrie, they'll want a young piece they can look to the future with as well. Unfortunately that means there are few if any assets left to encourage a 3rd team to take on the Shumpert contract.

I've been procrastinating at work a bit recently trying to find a 3rd team that makes sense, alas to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions? Or simply a team they can dump him on and I can work on it from there.

Re: Is there a single team in the league that would take Shumpert?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 06:20:10 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
Is there a team struggling to make the salary floor? That's a good place to start.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 07:02:47 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I've been procrastinating at work a bit recently trying to find a 3rd team that makes sense, alas to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions? Or simply a team they can dump him on and I can work on it from there.

Who cares, being a Celtic Fan I want CLE to falter so we can beat them?   Don't you?  Heck, I live in Ohio and I do not want them to do well.

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 08:54:29 AM »

Offline GreenWarrior

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 228

Who cares, being a Celtic Fan I want CLE to falter so we can beat them?   Don't you?  Heck, I live in Ohio and I do not want them to do well.

i'd rather have a team that can beat Cleveland at their best.

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 09:05:56 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Want and would take are two different things.  For example, say Phoenix really wants Irving but won't give up Jackson, they could sweeten their offer by taking Shumpert. Say something like Bledsoe, Bender, Warren, Ullis, and Miami 1st for Irving and Shumpert
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 10:07:35 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
Want and would take are two different things.  For example, say Phoenix really wants Irving but won't give up Jackson, they could sweeten their offer by taking Shumpert. Say something like Bledsoe, Bender, Warren, Ullis, and Miami 1st for Irving and Shumpert

That's a good point, although I think in an Irving trade the red line for Cleveland is getting back present and future value first, then working on moving Shump as part of it. I don't think they'd take less for Irving to get rid of Shump.

There is no trade for Irving out there that makes Cleveland a better team. Their best chance at doing well this year is to keep Irving and try to make amends. So as a Celtics fan I would love to see them trade Irving, I just don't see a trade out there that they accept yet.

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 10:10:24 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
Is there a team struggling to make the salary floor? That's a good place to start.

Philly, Phoenix (although they still have Len RFA) and the Bulls. Dallas as well if they let Noel walk which is unlikely. Thing is they will want a decent pick in return which will be difficult for Cleveland to provide.

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 11:40:24 AM »

Offline Humble G

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 983

Same here! but then again I don't root for many Ohio teams and I live there! I might like the Cavs more when Lebron leaves.......as I will never like that dude. I acknowledge his talent and ability but not a fan

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 11:54:27 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I'd probably move Thompson and JR Smith for starters, and then trade Shumpert to start shedding salary.

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 12:40:09 PM »

Online Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 972
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I'd probably move Thompson and JR Smith for starters, and then trade Shumpert to start shedding salary.
Yes because TT and JR are not really starters.   ;D