Author Topic: with motivation the sum of parts could be special  (Read 1496 times)

with motivation the sum of parts could be special
« on: August 14, 2017, 10:54:25 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
With brads motivation and the amount of combinations that he can throw out-better shooters more length
isaiah will not get double tripled teamed
I think this team will outperform-we got a lot of kids but they are strong with length  and can shoot
imagine marcus ,brown,ojeleye,yabusele and zizic or tatum

Re: with motivation the sum of parts could be special
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 11:12:37 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Looking Forward to it. Thanks for the reminder. You Rock!!!
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 11:34:58 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
With brads motivation and the amount of combinations that he can throw out-better shooters more length

Getting physical with Isaiah and getting the ball out of his hands was an effective strategy in the playoffs. Crowder, Bradley, and Johnson have only limited ability to create offense; just adding Hayward, who created a lot of shots with a lower turnover rate even than Isaiah last season, will make that strategy moot. As Brown grows into his role, and as Tatum does, eventually, the Celtics will become a team where all the starters can create shots for themselves and their teammates off the dribble.

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 12:02:06 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Some of the parts will be special!

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 03:20:46 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
I have reached the stage where I am ready to see some basketball. The season can't arrive soon enough. Most of us probably get this way at this time of year, but this year it is multiplied by at least 10 as this team (one final I will miss AB mention) promises so much under BS's coaching. The part of me that believes the team can go beyond the ECF wants to prove my own doubts wrong.

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 04:49:32 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
There are just so many combinations and wild cards
The ability to alter to respond to matchups
Morris and crowder on lebron
the celtics transition game with hayward and jaylen
the spread floor and inability to double team isaiah-
a 6-8 shooting guard-hayward
a 6-4 point guard- marcus
a proper forward -morris
a talented young 2nd team that can shoot
STRENGTH AND LENGTH
TALL SMALL BALL
BRAD STEVENS   BRAD STEVENS    BRAD STEVENS

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 07:21:06 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
I know we're excited, but I would temper rookie expectations... personally I believe we're carrying too many rooks on our squad and would have loved an additional vet or two. Not being negative, just honestly don't see a championship contender developing 4+ rookies... Philly doesn't even do this.

The biggest addition I see is the ability to legitimately allow IT to play off the ball for prolonged periods with a player that can create and make his own shot.

« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 08:17:16 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I know we're excited, but I would temper rookie expectations... personally I believe we're carrying too many rooks on our squad and would have loved an additional vet or two. Not being negative, just honestly don't see a championship contender developing 4+ rookies... Philly doesn't even do this.

The biggest addition I see is the ability to legitimately allow IT to play off the ball for prolonged periods with a player that can create and make his own shot.

A couple of points to make on this front:

1. I don't think we're aiming for this to be our year. We are a Championship contender - just look at the # of wins we're expected to get (54.5 by Vegas line), the fact we were in the ECF and got the best FA, etc. We're not THE Championship contender and that obviously goes to GSW but we are in that top tier now. But either way, I think Danny is aiming for a window that  opens next year and not this one. Hence the loading up with rookies this year rather than next.

2. While we have a large number of rookies, that only really comes into play if we have major injuries. When you look at minutes played (you can search for my analysis on this topic), our veteran squad (including Morris, Baynes, Hayward) players actually played more minutes than is possible in an NBA season last year. In short, minutes are already at a premium. So unless we have wholesale issues with injuries, the only way some of these young guys are going to see the floor in anything outside garbage time is they're going to have to earn them in practice.

There's a phrase that gets used sometimes - "two dogs, one bone" - and that really applies here except there are more than two dogs. Guys like Yabu, Semi and Zizic are going to have to fight like hell for that bone (minutes) and that should bring out the best in everyone. 
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 08:57:36 AM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
I think this team will outperform-we got a lot of kids but they are strong with length  and can shoot

If you're seeing Ojeleye, Yabusele and Zizic on the floor together it's either a blowout or a D-League game.

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 09:17:29 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker

If you're seeing Ojeleye, Yabusele and Zizic on the floor together it's either a blowout or a D-League game.
i was really visualizing them as herd of very strong big fast players against opposing older/younger less talented 2nd teams-
sorry it was not meant to be taken as our 2nd team-
you must admit baynes/zizic yabusele ojeleye ,jaylen and smart is a formidable amount of mass
in transition

« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 03:06:10 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Pretty much. That said, the Red Claws will be fun to watch this year.

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2017, 09:29:35 AM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962

We're not developing 4+ rookies, we're developing 1.

IT / Smart
Brown / Crowder / Smart
Hayward / Crowder
Morris / Tatum
Horford / Baynes

Based on our top 9, there's no reason any other rookie will be playing unless there's an injury, or they prove to be useful.

Beyond that we have Rozier, and we're probably keeping Larkin right?

And then when you actually look at our bottom 4 (who again are very unlikely to play), you actually have some of the most experienced rookies:

Zizic - played overseas
Yabu - played overseas
Theis - played many years overseas
Semi - well, at least he has an NBA-ready body
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale