Author Topic: Per Washburn: Jabari Bird will be a 2-way player  (Read 2979 times)

Per Washburn: Jabari Bird will be a 2-way player
« on: August 11, 2017, 04:04:14 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
From his Twitter:

The #Celtics have agreed to a two-way deal with second-round pick Jabari Bird.

I'm glad for this.  I was a little worried that he was going to go to Europe.  He seems like he has something to offer, and it's nice he'll be on the roster for about 1/3 of the season.

Re: Per Washburn: Jabari Bird will be a 2-way player
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 04:11:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
So that fills all 17 roster spots. I wonder if a team favored to make it to the Conference Finals ever had 7 rookies on their roster? Glad for Bird. He showed a little something in SL.

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 04:12:11 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Awesome

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 04:35:49 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
So that fills all 17 roster spots. I wonder if a team favored to make it to the Conference Finals ever had 7 rookies on their roster? Glad for Bird. He showed a little something in SL.

Beats me, but if you're counting the 2-ways, we could have 8 if Larkin gets cut.

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2017, 09:42:35 AM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Remember holding onto James Young for three years?  That seems ridiculous now.

« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2017, 09:45:46 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
And people said there would never be another Bird.

« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2017, 10:19:36 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
he s got the right last name.

« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2017, 02:05:18 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I like Bird better than Kadeem

He was a nice late 2nd round pickup

« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2017, 02:21:26 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
So Bird, Allen and at least two of Ojeleye, Nader and Yabusele in the Maine lineup this year?  Maybe Zizic too.  Should be well worth watching.

« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2017, 07:47:10 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
So Bird, Allen and at least two of Ojeleye, Nader and Yabusele in the Maine lineup this year?  Maybe Zizic too.  Should be well worth watching.

I could be forgetting, but I think you can only assign two players to the G-league (not including 2-way players).  Maybe most of those guys will get their respective turns in Maine, but no more than two at a time.

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 08:03:07 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I love bird. This guy was shooting nicely in summer league and his whole college career. Has a lot of range. I'm confident that the d league will help him become a rotational player in the future

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 09:00:05 PM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
I liked Bird a lot last year when I was watching Jaylen's games on the PAC-12 Network.

He stood out to me more than Rabb or Jaylen because of his maturity and decision making and his 3 point shot.

I was excited about us drafting him this year because of the teammate chemistry (Jaylen must've given him the big thumbs up to DA and CBS) that already exists between him and Jaylen and his ability to score.

This was on the front page, and I know, I know they are SUMMER league highlights, and they are HIGHLIGHTS (where everyone looks good), but I have hope for him carving out a niche with the parent team in Boston eventually because of his maturity and his ability to score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_ai3qYRXsc

He is skilled, heady, has the physical tools to be an excellent defender (he is already a good defender), can shoot the 3 adequately, but has an even better mid-range game, attacks the offensive boards and the rim (handle has to get better, but he has no fear) and has a decent post-up game.

Great late 2nd pick.

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2017, 06:51:11 AM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I liked Bird a lot last year when I was watching Jaylen's games on the PAC-12 Network.

He stood out to me more than Rabb or Jaylen because of his maturity and decision making and his 3 point shot.

I was excited about us drafting him this year because of the teammate chemistry (Jaylen must've given him the big thumbs up to DA and CBS) that already exists between him and Jaylen and his ability to score.

This was on the front page, and I know, I know they are SUMMER league highlights, and they are HIGHLIGHTS (where everyone looks good), but I have hope for him carving out a niche with the parent team in Boston eventually because of his maturity and his ability to score.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_ai3qYRXsc

He is skilled, heady, has the physical tools to be an excellent defender (he is already a good defender), can shoot the 3 adequately, but has an even better mid-range game, attacks the offensive boards and the rim (handle has to get better, but he has no fear) and has a decent post-up game.

Great late 2nd pick.
Just based on those highlights, he doesn't look like a guy who will be able to create his own shot at the NBA level. The handle is a little wild. But it seems like he's smart moving away from the ball and if he can continue to shoot, I can see him being what Avery Bradley was on offense, which would be terrific for a second round pick.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2017, 09:06:04 AM »

Offline billysan

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 178
What are the parameters for trades with 2 way guys? Can we include him in a trade for a non 2 way player? Not saying we should but this guy has some potential to grow as a wing player that could give us a little value in a couple years if he is still around.
"First fix their hearts" -Eizo Shimabuku

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2017, 09:13:08 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
What are the parameters for trades with 2 way guys? Can we include him in a trade for a non 2 way player? Not saying we should but this guy has some potential to grow as a wing player that could give us a little value in a couple years if he is still around.

Yes, they can be traded.  They do not count as salary.