Author Topic: Mobile-Only Entry  (Read 4686 times)

Re: Mobile-Only Entry
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2017, 10:17:26 AM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Won't this discriminate against some of the older generation fans who may not have followed the rise of the smartphone?
Seems like it to me.  My 70 year old parents included.  My mom has an old school prepaid phone and my dad still refuses to own a cell phone.

Not that these people don't exist, but how many live sporting events are they attending?  Did your parents attend any games last year or do they plan to attend any games this year?  If they're not already attending games, it doesn't really matter if they don't have smart phones.
They don't go to live sporting events or concerts.  They could use smartphones for a lot of other stuff though and just don't want to pay another monthly bill I guess.
I'm not 70 (nor even close to it), I don't have a smart phone and I do attend games.  I do have a cell phone that I don't use (old Samsung G3 phone on a tracphone coverage) or carry with me except on the 2 days I travel for work and even then it's only used in case I have to call my boss to tell him that my train has broken down.

I won't get a smartphone or switch to a plan with an annual contract simply because I don't see the need to pay a lot of money for something I hardly use. 

I can definitely state that if this becomes the only way to get a ticket to get into a game, I've likely been to my last C's game.

You say this, but in a few years you'll likely have been to your last a lot of things.  A mobile device of some sort (Smartphone, smart watch, something yet to hit the market) is going to be the primary, and sole, method of payment at many places, or method of entry at many venues.   And it will have a host of other responsibilities as well (air travel boarding passes, insurance cards, ATM cards, etc.)  It might be the key to the car you buy 5 years from now.

If you don't have a portable smart device by the time 5G fully kicks in five years from now, you're going to get left behind. Maybe it won't be the Celtics, but something in your life will push you to one.  I can almost guarantee it.
That's going to depend a lot on where you live.  Big cities probably.  The rest of the country not so much. 

Why in the world would anyone want their smartphone be the key to their car?  Why would car makers want it?  Smartphone dies, gets lost or stolen and you can no longer drive your car.  It can't get much simpler than having the key fob in your pocket and pushing a start button on the dash. 
good points.  also, not everyone in this world feels compelled to be connected at all times.  I've never understood the fascination with having a phone in front of one's face at all times.  the number of phone zombies I contend with every day I travel to work is just mindboggling.

What I'm shocked by is the fact that this is coming from a guy with 17 stars next to his name who makes an average 4.5 posts per day.  What happens if a new rumor leaks or a new "Trade Isaiah" thread pops up while you're pooping?  Just think of how much more time you could spend interacting with all of us here  ;D 

To each his own, if a smart phone ain't for you it ain't for you.  I just find the juxtaposition of your activity on a niche internet forum and your lack of need to feel connected humorous. 

And if people weren't phone zombies, they'd still be some kind of zombie.  No way I'm having a conversation or even making eye contact with you on my train commute.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2017, 10:23:38 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Won't this discriminate against some of the older generation fans who may not have followed the rise of the smartphone?
Seems like it to me.  My 70 year old parents included.  My mom has an old school prepaid phone and my dad still refuses to own a cell phone.

Not that these people don't exist, but how many live sporting events are they attending?  Did your parents attend any games last year or do they plan to attend any games this year?  If they're not already attending games, it doesn't really matter if they don't have smart phones.
They don't go to live sporting events or concerts.  They could use smartphones for a lot of other stuff though and just don't want to pay another monthly bill I guess.
I'm not 70 (nor even close to it), I don't have a smart phone and I do attend games.  I do have a cell phone that I don't use (old Samsung G3 phone on a tracphone coverage) or carry with me except on the 2 days I travel for work and even then it's only used in case I have to call my boss to tell him that my train has broken down.

I won't get a smartphone or switch to a plan with an annual contract simply because I don't see the need to pay a lot of money for something I hardly use. 

I can definitely state that if this becomes the only way to get a ticket to get into a game, I've likely been to my last C's game.

You say this, but in a few years you'll likely have been to your last a lot of things.  A mobile device of some sort (Smartphone, smart watch, something yet to hit the market) is going to be the primary, and sole, method of payment at many places, or method of entry at many venues.   And it will have a host of other responsibilities as well (air travel boarding passes, insurance cards, ATM cards, etc.)  It might be the key to the car you buy 5 years from now.

If you don't have a portable smart device by the time 5G fully kicks in five years from now, you're going to get left behind. Maybe it won't be the Celtics, but something in your life will push you to one.  I can almost guarantee it.
That's going to depend a lot on where you live.  Big cities probably.  The rest of the country not so much. 

Why in the world would anyone want their smartphone be the key to their car?  Why would car makers want it?  Smartphone dies, gets lost or stolen and you can no longer drive your car.  It can't get much simpler than having the key fob in your pocket and pushing a start button on the dash.

Mobile high speed data is going to be pretty much everywhere.  Will remote areas be slower to adopt certain things?  Of course.  But even most of Alaska (at least where people live, and thus where businesses are) is going to have LTE by 2022, if not earlier.  Businesses are shifting to support both mobile digital technologies while currently serving more traditional physical technologies, but supporting two networks is costly and inefficient.  They'll each have a tipping point where they'll stop supporting one.  The Heat have gotten there earlier than most, but as more and more make that permanent switch to mobile only, it becomes easier for the next business to do so.  Cars might be one of the last ones to do so, but it also depends how quickly self-driving cars come to market.  I would be surprised if those won't be app-based to a great extent, and thus some sort of device will be necessary, and it might as well be the same phone that you carry anyways.

Will that tech be available in rural areas, sure. Will people there accept it, probably not anywhere nearly as much as you think. I'm guessing you spend very little time outside the city. Suburban and rural folk have a totally different outlook on things. We still have stores where I live that are cash only, not credit/debit. Personally, I like that.

I have a smartphone, and probably have longer than most people. But I'm not interested in it being my "everything". Advances in technology like this do nothing but serve to erode your privacy and give the government the ability to control you just a little bit more with each advance.

City folk seem to be okay with the government running every single aspects t of their lives, I guess it's because they live in such close proximity to so many other people.   To me that's just weird, the government is not my friend, it's my enemy.

« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2017, 03:15:52 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

good points.  also, not everyone in this world feels compelled to be connected at all times.  I've never understood the fascination with having a phone in front of one's face at all times.  the number of phone zombies I contend with every day I travel to work is just mindboggling.

What I'm shocked by is the fact that this is coming from a guy with 17 stars next to his name who makes an average 4.5 posts per day.  What happens if a new rumor leaks or a new "Trade Isaiah" thread pops up while you're pooping?  Just think of how much more time you could spend interacting with all of us here  ;D 

To each his own, if a smart phone ain't for you it ain't for you.  I just find the juxtaposition of your activity on a niche internet forum and your lack of need to feel connected humorous. 

And if people weren't phone zombies, they'd still be some kind of zombie.  No way I'm having a conversation or even making eye contact with you on my train commute.

took a lot of years being here to get 17 stars.  there's a difference between spending about 30 minutes on line at home checking mail, this site and espn to see how the Brewers are doing and having your eyes continuously glued to a phone for hours a day -- especially when it leads one to walk into other people, traffic, walls, potholes, etc...   

« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2017, 04:03:25 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

Mobile high speed data is going to be pretty much everywhere.  Will remote areas be slower to adopt certain things?  Of course.  But even most of Alaska (at least where people live, and thus where businesses are) is going to have LTE by 2022, if not earlier.  Businesses are shifting to support both mobile digital technologies while currently serving more traditional physical technologies, but supporting two networks is costly and inefficient.  They'll each have a tipping point where they'll stop supporting one.  The Heat have gotten there earlier than most, but as more and more make that permanent switch to mobile only, it becomes easier for the next business to do so.  Cars might be one of the last ones to do so, but it also depends how quickly self-driving cars come to market.  I would be surprised if those won't be app-based to a great extent, and thus some sort of device will be necessary, and it might as well be the same phone that you carry anyways.

Will that tech be available in rural areas, sure. Will people there accept it, probably not anywhere nearly as much as you think. I'm guessing you spend very little time outside the city. Suburban and rural folk have a totally different outlook on things. We still have stores where I live that are cash only, not credit/debit. Personally, I like that.

I have a smartphone, and probably have longer than most people. But I'm not interested in it being my "everything". Advances in technology like this do nothing but serve to erode your privacy and give the government the ability to control you just a little bit more with each advance.

City folk seem to be okay with the government running every single aspects t of their lives, I guess it's because they live in such close proximity to so many other people.   To me that's just weird, the government is not my friend, it's my enemy.
There's an awful lot of broad generalizing going on in that post.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2017, 05:55:50 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Sure, but they're not inaccurate.

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2017, 07:51:54 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

Sure, but they're not inaccurate.
Except for the instances where they are. Which is the problem with generalizations.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2017, 08:22:08 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
City folk seem to be okay with the government running every single aspect of their lives

This statement above seems the most egregious. Unless you are totally off the grid, this statement seems to lack a clear understanding.

Also, my favorite sushi and Mediterranean places are cash only.

« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2017, 08:53:03 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

took a lot of years being here to get 17 stars.  there's a difference between spending about 30 minutes on line at home checking mail, this site and espn to see how the Brewers are doing and having your eyes continuously glued to a phone for hours a day -- especially when it leads one to walk into other people, traffic, walls, potholes, etc...   
I also have 17 stars and I also do not have a smart phone

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2017, 09:54:45 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

TP for the honesty Eja - we're definitely in the minority here

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2017, 03:22:50 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald

TP for the honesty Eja - we're definitely in the minority here
Yep. I got one a few months ago and I was the last person I knew under 60 without one.

« Reply #40 on: August 24, 2017, 05:06:29 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907
I know that this topic isn't as exciting as Kyrie, but...

For those of you who are more tech savvy than I am, here is the email regarding the mobile-only entry that I got from my rep.

With the season quickly approaching, I want to make sure you were able to review the Celtics Insider email below as it includes very important information regarding ticket delivery for the upcoming season.  Mobile tickets will become the universal means of entry into the arena, replacing the PDF/Print-at-Home option online. Moving forward, if you need to send tickets to someone, you are able to email or text your guest a link which when clicked will prompt them to create an account allowing them to either manage the ticket or pull it up on their phone for entry. If you haven’t already done so, I would recommend downloading the Celtics app, as it is extremely user friendly.

Here's the question: If I want to sell my tickets on Stubhub, or any place other than the egregious official resale site, I have to download the PDF to my computer and then re-upload it at Stubhub (or whatever). Does this mean that I will no longer be able to create a PDF on my desktop?

Mike

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2017, 10:58:55 AM »

Offline greece66

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1342
  • Head Paperboy at Greenville
@bdm860

There is something to be said about staying off the internet every now and then. The problem with smartphones is that you literally carry the web with you wherever you go.