Author Topic: Mobile-Only Entry  (Read 4687 times)

Re: Mobile-Only Entry
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 04:47:55 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Won't this discriminate against some of the older generation fans who may not have followed the rise of the smartphone?
Seems like it to me.  My 70 year old parents included.  My mom has an old school prepaid phone and my dad still refuses to own a cell phone.

Not that these people don't exist, but how many live sporting events are they attending?  Did your parents attend any games last year or do they plan to attend any games this year?  If they're not already attending games, it doesn't really matter if they don't have smart phones.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2017, 05:29:48 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Won't this discriminate against some of the older generation fans who may not have followed the rise of the smartphone?
Seems like it to me.  My 70 year old parents included.  My mom has an old school prepaid phone and my dad still refuses to own a cell phone.

Not that these people don't exist, but how many live sporting events are they attending?  Did your parents attend any games last year or do they plan to attend any games this year?  If they're not already attending games, it doesn't really matter if they don't have smart phones.

I get that things have to advance but if even 1% were affected in this way then I feel like it's on the club to accommodate those people. Maybe via a special exception or something. They are still a paying customer and most likely one of the longest paying customers too so you'd think that a loyal club wouldn't just shun them in the name of progress

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2017, 05:44:08 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I get that things have to advance but if even 1% were affected in this way then I feel like it's on the club to accommodate those people. Maybe via a special exception or something. They are still a paying customer and most likely one of the longest paying customers too so you'd think that a loyal club wouldn't just shun them in the name of progress

It's probably less than 1%.  I wouldn't be surprised if Miami knows who their 10 most loyal tech curmudgeons are and will accomodate them despite this stated policy.  It's announced two months in advance -- they'll figure it out.

Also, as someone who has in the past worked on wireless network issues -- if you're one of those people still holding onto your flip phone from 5 years ago, please stop.  Wireless spectrum, as well as antenna space on towers, are both scarce goods.  Your old phone can't work on new networks, and companies therefore can't offer the latest technologies on your spectrum bands without cutting off your service, which creates congestion issues.  Thanks!

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2017, 06:03:01 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

It's probably less than 1%.  I wouldn't be surprised if Miami knows who their 10 most loyal tech curmudgeons are and will accomodate them despite this stated policy.  It's announced two months in advance -- they'll figure it out.

Also, as someone who has in the past worked on wireless network issues -- if you're one of those people still holding onto your flip phone from 5 years ago, please stop.  Wireless spectrum, as well as antenna space on towers, are both scarce goods.  Your old phone can't work on new networks, and companies therefore can't offer the latest technologies on your spectrum bands without cutting off your service, which creates congestion issues.  Thanks!
I just switched from a flip phone to an iPhone a few months ago. I'm fascinated by how much more affordable all of the service plans are now that the phones themselves are so expensive.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2017, 06:36:53 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I just switched from a flip phone to an iPhone a few months ago. I'm fascinated by how much more affordable all of the service plans are now that the phones themselves are so expensive.

Yep.  Most plans no longer have any contracts, so you pay upfront for a phone (or over time), and the plan itself is cheaper.  It used to be that the phone itself was much more heavily subsidized by more expensive plans and two-year contracts, and if you left your plan early there was a hefty early termination fee.

The new hook is buying a phone with a 0% interest rate and payments over 12-24 months, and if you leave early you owe the remaining balance on your phone immediately.  But it's also a lot easier to buy a phone from someone other than your provider and bring it to that network, should you choose.  The phones used to be similarly expensive, and it really stunk if something happened to it before you were eligible for a new phone.

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 08:28:09 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Meh. Pretty soon they'll be able to just scan the chips implanted in our eyeballs and know that we bought the ticket in our minds.

You're right.  I brought this topic up at dinner 2nite and then we talked about a story I just read about some employees at some company having chips inserted into their arms.  We can have those inserted and they'll be our money and ID and receipts and phones and music and....u name it.  But my personal favorite new technology is the sex robots.  But alas, this is a C's website.

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 08:52:49 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Gotta wonder how much carriers paid them to do this

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 09:27:54 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

They don't go to live sporting events or concerts.  They could use smartphones for a lot of other stuff though and just don't want to pay another monthly bill I guess.

« Reply #23 on: August 11, 2017, 10:18:47 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

They don't go to live sporting events or concerts.  They could use smartphones for a lot of other stuff though and just don't want to pay another monthly bill I guess.
I'm not 70 (nor even close to it), I don't have a smart phone and I do attend games.  I do have a cell phone that I don't use (old Samsung G3 phone on a tracphone coverage) and don't carry with me except on the 2 days I travel for work and even then it's only used in case I have to call my boss to tell him that my train has broken down.

I won't get a smartphone or switch to a plan with an annual contract simply because I don't see the need to pay a lot of money for something I hardly use. 

I can definitely state that if this becomes the only way to get a ticket to get into a game, I've likely been to my last C's game.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 11:00:48 PM by slamtheking »

« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2017, 11:16:16 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I'm not 70 (nor even close to it), I don't have a smart phone and I do attend games.  I do have a cell phone that I don't use (old Samsung G3 phone on a tracphone coverage) or carry with me except on the 2 days I travel for work and even then it's only used in case I have to call my boss to tell him that my train has broken down.

I won't get a smartphone or switch to a plan with an annual contract simply because I don't see the need to pay a lot of money for something I hardly use. 

I can definitely state that if this becomes the only way to get a ticket to get into a game, I've likely been to my last C's game.

You say this, but in a few years you'll likely have been to your last a lot of things.  A mobile device of some sort (Smartphone, smart watch, something yet to hit the market) is going to be the primary, and sole, method of payment at many places, or method of entry at many venues.   And it will have a host of other responsibilities as well (air travel boarding passes, insurance cards, ATM cards, etc.)  It might be the key to the car you buy 5 years from now.

If you don't have a portable smart device by the time 5G fully kicks in five years from now, you're going to get left behind. Maybe it won't be the Celtics, but something in your life will push you to one.  I can almost guarantee it.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 11:22:20 PM by saltlover »

« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2017, 11:18:14 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
To be fair - it doesn't have to be expensive to get a smartphone. You can actually get an iPhone 5 on eBay for like $50 and that is more than acceptable for something like this new system.

Not that I agree with the concept, but a smartphone doesn't really have to cost any more than a new flip phone nowadays.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2017, 08:16:32 AM by jambr380 »

« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2017, 06:43:01 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I'm not 70 (nor even close to it), I don't have a smart phone and I do attend games.  I do have a cell phone that I don't use (old Samsung G3 phone on a tracphone coverage) or carry with me except on the 2 days I travel for work and even then it's only used in case I have to call my boss to tell him that my train has broken down.

You say this, but in a few years you'll likely have been to your last a lot of things.  A mobile device of some sort (Smartphone, smart watch, something yet to hit the market) is going to be the primary, and sole, method of payment at many places, or method of entry at many venues.   And it will have a host of other responsibilities as well (air travel boarding passes, insurance cards, ATM cards, etc.)  It might be the key to the car you buy 5 years from now.

If you don't have a portable smart device by the time 5G fully kicks in five years from now, you're going to get left behind. Maybe it won't be the Celtics, but something in your life will push you to one.  I can almost guarantee it.
That's going to depend a lot on where you live.  Big cities probably.  The rest of the country not so much. 

Why in the world would anyone want their smartphone be the key to their car?  Why would car makers want it?  Smartphone dies, gets lost or stolen and you can no longer drive your car.  It can't get much simpler than having the key fob in your pocket and pushing a start button on the dash. 

« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2017, 08:28:07 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

That's going to depend a lot on where you live.  Big cities probably.  The rest of the country not so much. 

Why in the world would anyone want their smartphone be the key to their car?  Why would car makers want it?  Smartphone dies, gets lost or stolen and you can no longer drive your car.  It can't get much simpler than having the key fob in your pocket and pushing a start button on the dash. 
good points.  also, not everyone in this world feels compelled to be connected at all times.  I've never understood the fascination with having a phone in front of one's face at all times.  the number of phone zombies I contend with every day I travel to work is just mindboggling.

« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2017, 09:10:50 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Mobile high speed data is going to be pretty much everywhere.  Will remote areas be slower to adopt certain things?  Of course.  But even most of Alaska (at least where people live, and thus where businesses are) is going to have LTE by 2022, if not earlier.  Businesses are shifting to support both mobile digital technologies while currently serving more traditional physical technologies, but supporting two networks is costly and inefficient.  They'll each have a tipping point where they'll stop supporting one.  The Heat have gotten there earlier than most, but as more and more make that permanent switch to mobile only, it becomes easier for the next business to do so.  Cars might be one of the last ones to do so, but it also depends how quickly self-driving cars come to market.  I would be surprised if those won't be app-based to a great extent, and thus some sort of device will be necessary, and it might as well be the same phone that you carry anyways.

« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2017, 09:47:53 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
.....until someone HACKS your ticket right as you are about to present it for entry...

I LOVE technology. Advanced stats / metrics and whatnot certainly have a place in society.

But we'd better be careful with its use.