Author Topic: Mobile-Only Entry  (Read 4685 times)

Mobile-Only Entry
« on: August 11, 2017, 10:17:54 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
The Miami Heat announced Thursday that fans who attend home games this upcoming season will only be able to get through the gate with tickets on their phones.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20306283/miami-heat-become-first-nba-team-mobile-only-entry

Thoughts? I think this is pure crap.

Re: Mobile-Only Entry
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 10:21:20 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
That's the way things are drifting.  Heck, the Celtics sent out an email to STM this week about how mobile tickets is now their preferred method of ticket delivery.

It's probably pretty good for those trying to buy on the secondary market where it's pretty easy to get scammed these days if you're not careful.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 10:28:47 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
That's the way things are drifting.  Heck, the Celtics sent out an email to STM this week about how mobile tickets is now their preferred method of ticket delivery.

It's probably pretty good for those trying to buy on the secondary market where it's pretty easy to get scammed these days if you're not careful.

I don't mind shifting, I mind the exclusivity among other aspects.

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 10:52:20 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Won't this discriminate against some of the older generation fans who may not have followed the rise of the smartphone?

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2017, 10:53:40 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

It has four purposes, one of which I agree with, one of which I don't, and two of which I'm indifferent on.

1) Prevents ticket scamming, which is a growing issue.
2) Gets people through the gates more quickly.
3) Allows them to collect more data on their customers.
4) Allows them to track how many tickets some season ticket-holders are selling, and revoke future season-ticket privileges if the team wants because too many were resold.

Everything is going digital.  Soon I expect that concessions will be credit only, and eventually may be tied directly to your ticket through Apple Pay/Samsung Pay and the like.

I'll miss paper tickets, however.

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2017, 11:02:49 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Won't this discriminate against some of the older generation fans who may not have followed the rise of the smartphone?

No.  Even a majority of American seniors own Smartphones at this point.  About 80% of Americans do, and at higher incomes (those with the disposable incomes to go to NBA games) it's closer to 90%.  It might alienate a few fans who proudly don't own smartphones still, but if the NBA doesn't push them to own them, some other company will instead.  They will within a few years he owned by virtually 100% of the population above 18, and a good chunk of the 13-18 range as well.  They are ubiquitous.

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 11:07:56 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Do they also charge a "convenience fee" like some movie theaters.  That p---es me off. too.

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2017, 11:09:31 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

It has four purposes, one of which I agree with, one of which I don't, and two of which I'm indifferent on.

4) Allows them to track how many tickets some season ticket-holders are selling, and revoke future season-ticket privileges if the team wants because too many were resold.

Everything is going digital.  Soon I expect that concessions will be credit only, and eventually may be tied directly to your ticket through Apple Pay/Samsung Pay and the like.

We already have restaurants out here in Chicago that are no longer accepting cash.  It's crazy when you first see those signs but once you put some thought into it, it does make sense for a lot of those businesses.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2017, 11:11:00 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Seems like it to me.  My 70 year old parents included.  My mom has an old school prepaid phone and my dad still refuses to own a cell phone.

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2017, 11:13:03 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833

We already have restaurants out here in Chicago that are no longer accepting cash.  It's crazy when you first see those signs but once you put some thought into it, it does make sense for a lot of those businesses.

Funny, we still have restaurants that only take cash, I guess because they don't like paying the credit card fee, and/or want to play with their books. 

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2017, 11:29:36 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

Yeah, the ice cream shop not far from me got held up two weeks ago.  Last weekend they'd put up signs that said No Cash.

The only time I personally use cash is when I'm putting money into the offering plate at church (and even that's rare since I'm in the choir and not usually in the pews when it's passed around).  I've had a single emergency dollar in my wallet for the last month (for when I break down and use the work vending machine), but I like going cashless.  When mobile pay is accepted by restaurants, I'll probably go walletless.

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2017, 03:41:15 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 907

Agree with one although my experience with #2, getting people through the gates faster, was the opposite. I went to about a dozen games last year and their scanners never seemed to work properly. It always took a few zaps of the phone to get us through.

3&4 annoy me. I'm a STM and made it to about 1/4 of the regular season games last year. I'd be annoyed if the Celtics decided that they were going to set a minimum on the number of games that I could go to and the number that I could sell, although they'd really have no way of knowing which games I sold and which ones I gave away, unless I do it on the TM resale site. And if I'm in trouble, the person next to me is really hosed. I've had my seats three years and have yet to meet the actual owner of the person sitting in the seats next to mine.

As for the marketing, well, I guess they have the right to do anything that they want with the information (and, for that matter, the seats). Still feels a little weird.

This upcoming year will be my sixth as a STM. In my second, they started to charge extra for getting real tickets. This year, I don't even know if they offer them. Kind of sad not being able to save ticket stubs, but it's definitely more convenient doing it on my phone.

Mike

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2017, 03:55:05 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
So no more scalpers? Weird.

I bought a couple of tickets from Stubhub last week for a Pirates game (traveling)  and electronic tickets weren't even an option.

I also don't really see how this cuts out scammers. If you buy 'used' tickets from somebody online (like Craigslist), they still have the option of emailing them to as many people they want.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 08:09:36 PM by jambr380 »

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2017, 04:17:02 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741
Meh. Pretty soon they'll be able to just scan the chips implanted in our eyeballs and know that we bought the ticket in our minds.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2017, 04:34:03 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
So no more scalpers? Weird.

I bought a couple of tickets from Stubhub last week for a Pirates game (traveling)  and electronic tickets weren't even an option.

I also don't really see how this cuts out scammers. If you buy 'used' tickets from somebody online (like Craigslist), they still have the option of emailing them to ad many people they want.

Presumably they will have a digital transfer option that makes it non-duplicatable.  There will still be scammers (PayPal me money and sure, you'll get some tickets, I promise), but they won't have to deal with people holding fake tickets at the turnstile.

I'll miss scalpers.  My first ever Celtics game was Game 6 of the 2002 ECF.  We lost to the Nets, obviously, but it had been a really fun post-season run, and it was the first time I'd experienced the "Let's Go Celtics" last five minutes of a series chant.  But for a scalper, I wouldn't have gotten in.  (Although I suppose now I can just go on StubHub.  Still, getting that ticket was more fun in person.)