Poll

Anything short of reaching game 6 of 2017/2018 of ECF = No max for IT4 (poll)

Offer less than max deal - 3 year 80 million dollar deal
7 (30.4%)
Offer max
7 (30.4%)
Offer max as long as he makes the All star team or All nba team
6 (26.1%)
No offer, let IT4 walk
3 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Anything short of reaching game 6 of 2017/2018 of ECF = No max for IT4? (poll)  (Read 2842 times)

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
Ultimately if Danny believes the team is better with IT (he does) then he'll pay IT whatever the market rate is.

I can't remember a time when screwing one of your best players worked out well for a team. If you slight IT then its hardly going to make the situation better. Given how ownership and DA have been able to build a contender due to how underpaid he is, it is reasonable to think they'll pay the extra tax dollars to see it through.

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
This discussion without the most important components, salary cap considerations, buying power, alternatives, is fairly meaningless.

If you're not retaining Isaiah Thomas, at whatever his market rate ends up being, what's your plan then?

I've also always thought that the whole "if we don't reach X round, we can't pay X player" to be a very shortsighted way of looking at things.

Really?  With this mentality, isnt this how Carmelo was overpaid?

Please explain MY mentality? Thanks.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
This discussion without the most important components, salary cap considerations, buying power, alternatives, is fairly meaningless.

If you're not retaining Isaiah Thomas, at whatever his market rate ends up being, what's your plan then?

I've also always thought that the whole "if we don't reach X round, we can't pay X player" to be a very shortsighted way of looking at things.

Winning a championship is the #1 priority

If horford, hayward, IT4 is not sufficient.. no need to put a stranglehold on the cap imo

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

If horford, hayward, IT4 is not sufficient.. no need to put a stranglehold on the cap imo

The problem lies in your assumption that letting IT4 go would allow us to have the buying power to properly replace him, to have a better alternative.

Hence why I mentioned that a discussion without considering the most important components that should be considered, outside of whether Thomas is good or not, is meaningless and shortsighted in the end.

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

The problem lies in your assumption that letting IT4 go would allow us to have the buying power to properly replace him, to have a better alternative.

Hence why I mentioned that a discussion without considering the most important components that should be considered, outside of whether Thomas is good or not, is meaningless and shortsighted in the end.

Plan B to replace IT4 wont be as hard as you think

Yes he is a very good offensive player but its not like we are talking about having to replace a Lebron or Durant

Celtics can replace via FA, draft/Brown/Tatum min increase.... Does not necessarily have to be a PG either..

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson

Yes he is a very good offensive player but its not like we are talking about having to replace a Lebron or Durant

Celtics can replace via FA, draft/Brown/Tatum min increase.... Does not necessarily have to be a PG either..

Replace via FA... with what cap space? When? What level of talent?

Draft? You can draft just the same with IT on hand, so what's the benefit?

You can increase Brown/Tatum's minute with or without IT... so what's the benefit, particularly when their roles and positions are leagues apart?

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

Irrelevant as those things will happen regardless of IT being on the roster. To replace him we would need to add a player earning the MLE or less or trade some of our assets for a player who would make more difference than all those assets + IT.
The advantage we have with IT is we have his bird rights.

If you aren't prepared to offer him the max then you absolutely have to trade him this season, or much more likely the summer just gone. This should tell you that it is highly likely we have already decided what we are going to do with Isaiah

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Irrelevant as those things will happen regardless of IT being on the roster. To replace him we would need to add a player earning the MLE or less or trade some of our assets for a player who would make more difference than all those assets + IT.
The advantage we have with IT is we have his bird rights.

If you aren't prepared to offer him the max then you absolutely have to trade him this season, or much more likely the summer just gone. This should tell you that it is highly likely we have already decided what we are going to do with Isaiah

Or just play out his contract

Just bc IT4 has not been traded or wont be , before the trade deadline means...the team is committed to sign him to top dollars for the next 4-5 years

Hence Danny still has a chance to see the river card

Signing IT4 bc we have his bird rights is nice and all but it also means it will be difficult to extend Brown, Smart in a year or two... Celts owners also seem like a stingy bunch and wont pay a dime towards the luxury tax

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
IMO You can't just assign a number of victories, or a certain placement in the Eastern Conference to the value of any one player. There are always extenuating circumstances.

The Celtics brain trust will look at the team through film, with honest and open eyes. They'll make a decision as to why the team lost a series.

If its found that the Celtics are loosing playoff games because the team defense is weak with IT in the lineup, and that fact overrides his offensive output. Then he may not get his Brinks Truck.

It's about winning a ring, not collecting jerseys. As the Celtics accumulate more and better all-around players, the value of IT will reduce because of his being a liability on D.

This year, with the addition of Hayward, and Tatum, and the growth of Brown, and even the presents of Morris... expect his shot attempts to go down.