Author Topic: Rules on player resting  (Read 1010 times)

Rules on player resting
« on: August 10, 2017, 08:30:13 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Looks like there may be rules approved on player resting before the beginning of the season.  Don't see that working out well but it will be interesting to see how teams work around it. 

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/247154/NBA-To-Approve-Rules-On-Player-Resting

Re: Rules on player resting
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 08:37:21 PM »

Offline CelticD

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
Maybe this rule will only be applied to nationally televised games? I'm on the fence with somethin like this. I'd understand the argument either way.

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 08:44:26 PM »

Offline wayupnorth

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 141
Really bothers me how talking heads always refer to LBJ when it comes to 'rest'.

Dude played like 37 minutes a game...you don't get to complain about rest. Your coach should realize you need it and play you less.

Different time, and different game, but is insane how many minutes Bill Russell and Wilt played.

Heck, one year Wilt averaged OVER 48 minutes a game for the season.

Incredible.

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 08:57:45 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
I'd love to hear Greg Popovich's thoughts about this.

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 09:13:00 PM »

Online bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
So they're just going back to making up phony medical excuses?  Swapping DNP-Rest for DNP-Sore [insert random body part here]?

Because that's what's going to happen if you make a rule saying players can't miss a game for rest.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 09:30:18 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
So they're just going back to making up phony medical excuses?  Swapping DNP-Rest for DNP-Sore [insert random body part here]?

Because that's what's going to happen if you make a rule saying players can't miss a game for rest.

Yup.  There's too much gray area regarding injuries to really enforce this.  Instead, it'll either be some rules with no teeth that are really only there to make it look like they're doing something, or some overzealous rules that punish legitimate injuries.  There's no way to make rules like this without massive unintended consequences.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 12:01:22 AM »

Offline CelticsFanFromNYC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 137
I'd love to hear Greg Popovich's thoughts about this.

A few players might just lose a year or two of their careers from this