Author Topic: ESPN Ranks worst offseason additions  (Read 5039 times)

ESPN Ranks worst offseason additions
« on: August 10, 2017, 12:59:37 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
The 5 they came up with were

Howard
Rondo
Rose
Galinari
Hardaway Jr.

Howard received the most and Hardaway Jr the second most worst votes.

I get why Hardaway Jr is on the list with his contract. I don't really understand why people hate on Howard so much. He is a really good rebounder and still solid defensively. He has a reasonable contract also. I think the Rondo and Rose signings may not work, but hard to call them bad when they were signed for a pittance and can be waved.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20295589/2017-summer-forecast-worst-newcomer

Re: ESPN Ranks worst offseason additions
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 01:04:32 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Rondo is the only one I agree with.  I mean they knock the Gallinari signing because AFTER he was signed he punched someone and hurt his thumb. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 01:18:43 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Dwight howards inability to shoot and defend the perimeter has made him virtually useless for too many situations and lineups in modern basketball. Its pretty insane how far he's fallen. At one point he had a signature shoe line in stores and was in the nba finals.. Now he's traded for a 2nd round pick to his 20th team

People are not "hating" on Dwight howard. Its recognition that his bullyball game isn't going to work the same. That's why he was traded for nothing in return

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 01:27:52 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Rondo is the only one I agree with.  I mean they knock the Gallinari signing because AFTER he was signed he punched someone and hurt his thumb.

Wait  you think the Hardaway Jr. signing was reasonable?

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2017, 01:29:27 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
How could someone vote Gordon Hayward for being one of the worst offseason additions??? Who placed that vote?

I completely forgot that Rondo signed with New Orleans. Could that Rondo trade not only bring back Crowder, but also possibly lead the Celtics to getting Anthony Davis? If the Pelicans have another bad season, they would have to at least consider different options and maybe trading Davis is one of them.

I'm surprised Chris Paul isn't higher on that list. That trade still doesn't make any sense to me, since neither guy is effective without the ball in their hands and are both ball dominate.

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 01:32:01 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
Dwight howards inability to shoot and defend the perimeter has made him virtually useless for too many situations and lineups in modern basketball. Its pretty insane how far he's fallen. At one point he had a signature shoe line in stores and was in the nba finals.. Now he's traded for a 2nd round pick to his 20th team

People are not "hating" on Dwight howard. Its recognition that his bullyball game isn't going to work the same. That's why he was traded for nothing in return

I think virtually useless is a bit overstating it. There is definitely still a role for centers that are really good rebounders or can protect the rim very well. Deandre Jordan, Howard, Tristan Thompson, Andre Drummond etc may not have the same impact they would have on the game 5-10 years ago, but they certainly can help you. He probably got traded more for peanuts because he has definitely had a lot of questions about his attitude and fit at his last 3 stops. Also while i think his deal is reasonable, it is still tough for a lot of teams to fit in when they are at the cap or near it. 

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2017, 01:34:42 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I don't get Rondo, he went to a team that missed playoffs last year, and they could use Rondo's help at the PG, if they start signing and trading for shooters, that team is going to be very fun to watch. Even someone like a Crowder type player on that team, a 3 and D player is going to make that team very very exciting and lots of offensive options for Rondo

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2017, 01:42:24 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I think his salary was way too much, but I think he is actually a pretty good fit next to Porzingis and because he was restricted the Knicks absolutely had to overpay.  Whether or not they should have spent the money on him or if they just should have waited till next summer (or gotten someone cheaper) is all debatable, but the actual basketball fit I don't think is bad at all and while he is certainly overpaid, I would expect him to have pretty solid production.

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2017, 02:20:21 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

I think his salary was way too much, but I think he is actually a pretty good fit next to Porzingis and because he was restricted the Knicks absolutely had to overpay.  Whether or not they should have spent the money on him or if they just should have waited till next summer (or gotten someone cheaper) is all debatable, but the actual basketball fit I don't think is bad at all and while he is certainly overpaid, I would expect him to have pretty solid production.

Yea I don't think he is a bad fit basketball wise, but especially after it was leaked what the Hawks were willing to pay him and the Knicks were 30 million over it, it seems pretty clear this was a terrible value signing.

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 02:24:23 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
How could someone vote Gordon Hayward for being one of the worst offseason additions??? Who placed that vote?

I completely forgot that Rondo signed with New Orleans. Could that Rondo trade not only bring back Crowder, but also possibly lead the Celtics to getting Anthony Davis? If the Pelicans have another bad season, they would have to at least consider different options and maybe trading Davis is one of them.

I'm surprised Chris Paul isn't higher on that list. That trade still doesn't make any sense to me, since neither guy is effective without the ball in their hands and are both ball dominate.
Paul was voted the best offseason addition. 

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20285524/2017-summer-forecast-best-newcomer

Paul, George, Butler, Hayward, Milsap

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 02:27:53 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

Yea I don't think he is a bad fit basketball wise, but especially after it was leaked what the Hawks were willing to pay him and the Knicks were 30 million over it, it seems pretty clear this was a terrible value signing.
The thing is restricted free agency is tricky.  If the Knicks were only 15 million over what the Hawks reportedly offered, then the Hawks might have matched (a team might be willing to pay a bit more then they wanted rather than lose the player for nothing) and the Knicks wouldn't have gotten their man.  That is why it is really hard to judge the value on a restricted free agent as those contracts are almost always matched even if the team doesn't want to pay that much.  I mean look at the Nets the prior summer with Crabbe and Johnson, they clearly overpaid and still didn't get either player.

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 02:30:34 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

The thing is restricted free agency is tricky.  If the Knicks were only 15 million over what the Hawks reportedly offered, then the Hawks might have matched (a team might be willing to pay a bit more then they wanted rather than lose the player for nothing) and the Knicks wouldn't have gotten their man.  That is why it is really hard to judge the value on a restricted free agent as those contracts are almost always matched even if the team doesn't want to pay that much. I mean look at the Nets the prior summer with Crabbe and Johnson, they clearly overpaid and still didn't get either player.

But that was during the "cocaine and hookers" offseason of the spike cap where teams did not know how to spend money and ended up with some absurdly bad contracts that they instantly regretted (obviously Portland regretted matching since they traded him for (less) dead money.

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 03:00:04 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
How can Rose be one of the worst? By its nature, a 1 year minimum can't be all that bad.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 03:06:12 PM »

Online johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 298
I can't wait for the playoffs, just to see how Chris Paul and James Harden work together. Chris Paul will be a pit bull barking orders, while Harden completely forgets how to play basketball because the pressure of the playoffs is too much for him. As much as I like Paul, he can be too controlling, which is probably why he has never made it far in the playoffs.

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 03:25:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

The thing is restricted free agency is tricky.  If the Knicks were only 15 million over what the Hawks reportedly offered, then the Hawks might have matched (a team might be willing to pay a bit more then they wanted rather than lose the player for nothing) and the Knicks wouldn't have gotten their man.  That is why it is really hard to judge the value on a restricted free agent as those contracts are almost always matched even if the team doesn't want to pay that much. I mean look at the Nets the prior summer with Crabbe and Johnson, they clearly overpaid and still didn't get either player.

But that was during the "cocaine and hookers" offseason of the spike cap where teams did not know how to spend money and ended up with some absurdly bad contracts that they instantly regretted (obviously Portland regretted matching since they traded him for (less) dead money.
every summer restricted free agents get matched.  teams know this, that is why not one team bothered to even really meet with Noel and none offered him a contract and only two other teams even met with Porter (who Washington matched).  It is hard to land a restricted free agent.  You have to overpay significantly.