Author Topic: Who will surprise  (Read 7269 times)

Semi will surprise
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2017, 12:33:15 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111
I don't at all agree that Semi is NBA ready, certainly not more so than Tatum. There's a reason he wasn't drafted in the first round, teams see weaknesses in his game. Looking good in summer league means just a little bit more than nothing, it certainly does not suggest he's NBA ready. His shot looked good in the summer, when there was essentially no defense, I think he'd likely shoot very poorly against an NBA defense. Tatum, on the other hand, has NBA ready offensive skills. No comparison.
Folks tend to fall in love the shiny new draft picks and SL does not help in that regard. 

Good point.

Semi cannot create his own shot ... 

I think that you'll discover otherwise.

He's a spot-up shooter...

More than that, I think. The pick and pop was very much in evidence in SL, for one, and the roll is not far behind.

Great athlete as shown by the Hoops House videos, but he doesn't strike me as having a good feel for the game. 

We'll see how this plays out, but I thought he did a great job of: giving up the ball when he didn't have an open shot; set good angles on screens; moved to the open spot on O; bodied up and stayed vertical without fouling... a lot of 'feel' stuff he's got already.

He's also a tweener.

I don't think so.

Usually that means that a guy isn't strong enough or big enough to guard 4's (or can't get off his shot over them), and too slow to guard 3's. But he's 241 with a wingspan of 6'10"; as important, he's got great lower body strength, hops - and he uses his length. The athleticism you mention makes it possible for him to guard smaller players effectively.

He was highly effective in SL guarding centers (e.g., shut down Zubac after Zizic couldn't do anything with him), in fact.

He's a swing - that weird new category. He'll be a matchup problem for opponents, rather than the other way around.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 01:53:12 PM by ThePaintedArea »

Re: Who will surprise
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2017, 01:27:59 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Best combine athlete using all scores totaled
vertical,lane agility and sprint
this guys defensive stance is a gift-he has defensive DNA
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 01:34:29 PM by rollie mass »

Semi will surprise
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2017, 01:51:36 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum

Beautiful to behold.

Looks like Ainge may have gotten two rotation players in the draft.... maybe better than that.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 07:00:57 PM by ThePaintedArea »

Semi will surprise
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2017, 06:23:58 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum

"I didn't know that he could be matched up on 5's because of his leverage and his strength... His flexibility defensively is going to be enormous.  I think that he will compete to be one of our better defenders right out of the gate."

- Brad Stevens on Semi.

« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2017, 06:59:06 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum

Explosive, fluid body, balanced joints, "juicy", springy, quick second jump. Really good NBA body, bottom line.

« Reply #50 on: August 19, 2017, 03:08:03 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Baynes.

« Reply #51 on: August 19, 2017, 04:44:15 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Explosive, fluid body, balanced joints, "juicy", springy, quick second jump. Really good NBA body, bottom line.

You're really bending forum rules here.  I wouldn't want my kids to read this kind of smut.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #52 on: August 19, 2017, 05:45:05 PM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 52
Don't get me wrong, I would be quite happy if Semi ended up being the steal of the draft, I just don't have any expectation that it will happen. I firmly hold to the school of thought that you can tell almost nothing from summer league. The fact that he looked good against summer league competition does not in any way suggest that he can play in the NBA. I think it is much more telling that he was not able to make it at a big time college program. It is to his credit that he blossomed after transferring, and he certainly deserves a look from the Celts, but he looks to me like a big fish in a small pond. I would be shocked if he got significant mpg with the Celts. I am expecting him to be a G League all star this year and not much more.

Semi will surprise
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2017, 11:35:32 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
Don't get me wrong, I would be quite happy if Semi ended up being the steal of the draft, I just don't have any expectation that it will happen.

Let's check back at the all-star break. If he gets a chance it'll be later in the season, I'd bet, especially if Morris misses games.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 11:51:13 PM by ThePaintedArea »

Semi will surprise
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2017, 11:50:29 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum

You're really bending forum rules here.  I wouldn't want my kids to read this kind of smut.

Hahah!

Re: Semi will surprise
« Reply #55 on: August 20, 2017, 10:59:09 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown
Don't get me wrong, I would be quite happy if Semi ended up being the steal of the draft, I just don't have any expectation that it will happen.

Let's check back at the all-star break. If he gets a chance it'll be later in the season, I'd bet, especially if Morris misses games.
Morris might miss a few games at some point in the season, but not more than a handful I think. My guess is he'll plead to some misdemeanor and get his wrist slapped by the league. Not enough to give Semi much of a shot, if he's even the one that would get those mpg, which at this point I highly doubt.

« Reply #56 on: August 20, 2017, 01:11:52 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Just going on summer league, fluid is not how I would describe Ojeleye.  Powerful, fast, quick, but lacking an element of fluidity which great players have.

« Reply #57 on: August 22, 2017, 11:14:01 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum

Morris might miss a few games at some point in the season, but not more than a handful I think.

He's certainly been reliable for playing most games in his last five seasons.  That's a good predictor for next season - but you never know.  At any rate, I would not bet much on it.

The action that the NBA has taken this off-season to reduce b2b's and 4 in 5's is very wise and should reduce injuries, especially catastrophic ones, and they should be thanked by all fans - even though that will show up as something NOT happening.

« Reply #58 on: August 22, 2017, 11:22:17 AM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
Just going on summer league, fluid is not how I would describe Ojeleye.  Powerful, fast, quick, but lacking an element of fluidity which great players have.

A couple of the best ways to see his fluidity: 1) his gorgeous shot mechanics - loose, quick shoulders, supple wrists, and springy spine; and 2) his finesse finishing, with a soft touch and excellent ball control, even as he changes direction.

« Reply #59 on: August 22, 2017, 11:33:42 AM »

Offline bellerephon

• Jaylen Brown

Morris might miss a few games at some point in the season, but not more than a handful I think.

He's certainly been reliable for playing most games in his last five seasons.  That's a good predictor for next season - but you never know.  At any rate, I would not bet much on it.

The action that the NBA has taken this off-season to reduce b2b's and 4 in 5's is very wise and should reduce injuries, especially catastrophic ones, and they should be thanked by all fans - even though that will show up as something NOT happening.

I assumed that the possibility of Morris being suspended was behind the comment about missed games, not injury. If he pleads guilty to some lesser charge, which seems likely, then he could very well be suspended for a few games, but not that many I would think.