Author Topic: NBA Schedule has a lot more rest  (Read 795 times)

NBA Schedule has a lot more rest
« on: August 09, 2017, 12:53:27 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20286965/nba-issues-memo-detailing-how-add-rest-schedule

The hope is to have less players feeling the need to sit out games for rest purposes.

the new schedule protects key national television matchups to make sure teams aren't playing on back-to-back nights.

Much of this is made possible by extending the season by one week, staring earlier in October. Also, for the first time, the players' union is a part of the scheduling process to review possible problem areas.

Some of the new improvements include:

• Eliminating stretches of four games in five days and 18 games in 30 days.

• Reduction of five games in seven nights to just 40 instances across (1.3 per team), down from last year when it was on the schedule 90 times (three per team).

• Reduction in number of back-to-backs to 14.9 per team, down from 16.3 per team. In all, 40 back-to-backs have been eliminated from last season.

• Reduction of single-game road trips by 17 percent.

• Reduction in single-game road trips over 2,000 miles by 67 percent; there are only 11 of them on schedule.

• Increase in weekend games from 549 to 568, much of the boost coming on Saturdays. Previously the NBA avoided Saturdays and Sunday afternoons during football season to dodge conflicts.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: NBA Schedule has a lot more rest
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 12:59:12 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
I'm a big fan of the new changes. The increased rest should help avoid injuries to big name players, and the stretched out season should mean that players miss fewer games when they do get injured (same number of days, but fewer games). As an added bonus it should give us more practice time, which is important for a team with 6 rookies.

At this point, though, they may as well get rid of the preseason (whether they move the start of the season up or not). 4 games is too short.
I'm bitter.

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 01:19:23 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I'd love to get rid of back to backs altogether.  At least maybe have something like baseball like a mini series for teams in your own conference.  For example we play the Nets back to back at home, and later in the year back to back on the road in Brooklyn.  That will also limit wear and tear.

I would also love a set schedule during the week for example I always know games are Friday, Sunday, Wednesday, and Fridays so I'm not constantly looking at the schedule. lol that will never  happen though.

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 01:23:45 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Sadly this helps the Cavs a lot more than us given they are the oldest team in the league by a significant margin and will probably get even older when they trade Kyrie. The rest is particularly beneficial for Lebron as may miss less games for rest also.

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 01:42:27 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Since they're not going to be cutting games, adding more rest is the single best move they could make to reduce some of the fatigue/injury problems we see over the regular season.  Glad they're taking steps to accomplish that.