Author Topic: gordon hayward acquisition subdued  (Read 3614 times)

Re: gordon hayward acquisition subdued
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2017, 01:56:49 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text
I am in the quietly confident category on this, because though I don't always like Danny Ainge's moves they have generally panned out in the end.

I was stunned and dismayed at the way he broke up the KG-Truth-Doc Rivers team, but the haul he got for it has set us up nicely for the future. I was initially disappointed at the haul he accepted for Rondo yet we ended up winning that trade.  Grabbing Isaiah Thomas seemed the wrong move for a team where the Celtics were at that point in time, but looking at what IT brings to the table and how cheap we got him it's another win. Which Brings me to the AB trade. Bradley was my favorite Celtic at the time and in a league with so many dangerous point guards a real asset. I also had a soft spot for Canadian  Dirk. Yet cause of the Danny Ainge's track record I trust that this season we will be good enough to justify losing these guys for the players we got back/signed.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2017, 02:08:00 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
I am in the quietly confident category on this, because though I don't always like Danny Ainge's moves they have generally panned out in the end.

I was stunned and dismayed at the way he broke up the KG-Truth-Doc Rivers team, but the haul he got for it has set us up nicely for the future. I was initially disappointed at the haul he accepted for Rondo yet we ended up winning that trade.  Grabbing Isaiah Thomas seemed the wrong move for a team where the Celtics were at that point in time, but looking at what IT brings to the table and how cheap we got him it's another win. Which Brings me to the AB trade. Bradley was my favorite Celtic at the time and in a league with so many dangerous point guards a real asset. I also had a soft spot for Canadian  Dirk. Yet cause of the Danny Ainge's track record I trust that this season we will be good enough to justify losing these guys for the players we got back/signed.

100% Amen, couldn't have said it better myself.  In addition, I'm sure glad I don't have to make the tough choices that Ainge does.

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 04:11:34 PM »

Offline Yazfan

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 16

I think people are excited for Hayward, but we're not over the moon because we had visions of PG13 (who's a notch above Hayward, especially on D) and because the Cs still don't look like we have enough to beat the Cavs. Also, most people haven't seen a lot of Hayward. He only made a leap last year and he plays in Utah. If the team catches fire in the second half of the season, you'll see plenty of excitement.

PG is not a notch above Hayward, look at the numbers.

In addition to the numbers Hayward is 10x better teammate. He does not call out his teammates for not passing him the ball at the end of the game like PG. Who, by they way has NEVER hit a game winning shot where Hayward has.

Hayward has been underestimated his entire career.

I cannot wait until this season.

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 04:22:14 PM »

Offline mspring

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 11

I think people are excited for Hayward, but we're not over the moon because we had visions of PG13 (who's a notch above Hayward, especially on D) and because the Cs still don't look like we have enough to beat the Cavs. Also, most people haven't seen a lot of Hayward. He only made a leap last year and he plays in Utah. If the team catches fire in the second half of the season, you'll see plenty of excitement.

PG is not a notch above Hayward, look at the numbers.

In addition to the numbers Hayward is 10x better teammate. He does not call out his teammates for not passing him the ball at the end of the game like PG. Who, by they way has NEVER hit a game winning shot where Hayward has.

I cannot wait until this season.

I agree that I think people are underestimating Hayward's impact.  It has been said before, but the Jazz are one of the slowest paced teams if not the slowest and he averaged 21.9 points per game.  Put him on a much faster paced team and although he won't always be the primary option, he should still get more offensive opportunities.  Combine that with the fact the Stevens has a proven track record of getting the most out of his players and I think Hayward will continue his upward progress offensively. 

Finally, I believe Hayward is being underestimated defensively as well.  He is a good defender.  I also can't wait for the season to start!

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 04:44:27 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Hard to see how this is the case, given that he has had exactly one great season, and just signed a max contract. I expect him to fall short of expectations, similar to Horford.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 04:50:14 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
Hard to see how this is the case, given that he has had exactly one great season, and just signed a max contract. I expect him to fall short of expectations, similar to Horford.

You expect him to fall short relative to your expectations.  Horford was exactly who I thought he would be, and slightly better during the playoffs.  Like Horford, Hayward is a great fit.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2017, 04:54:07 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

You expect him to fall short relative to your expectations.  Horford was exactly who I thought he would be, and slightly better during the playoffs.  Like Horford, Hayward is a great fit.
Yes, I expect him to fall short of my expectations of what a max player should be. If you have no problem with filling your max salary slots with "nice (fitting)" players, more power to you.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2017, 06:35:16 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I am willing to give Hayward the benefit of the doubt.   I was pretty stoked we got him.

I hope he proves the media, wrong.

« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2017, 07:06:42 PM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
I think Hayward a was a fantastic get !  The issue is that most assumed we'd get him and then along came the PG hype and then not getting him which made some feel unfulfilled

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2017, 07:45:20 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

That says more about you than anything else.

Horford averaged very close to his career averages last year. 14/7/5 isn't considerably different than 14/9/3. Even if you look at his more recent seasons, his assists were up and his rebounds were down because he played further from the basket. His scoring was down a bit because he took fewer shots per 100 possessions (2 from last year and 3 from a couple of years ago).

We got exactly what we paid for and what anyone should have reasonably expected. If you expected more then you expected a 30 year old player to suddenly change and elevate his game despite being less of a focal point of the offense that's entirely on you.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2017, 08:11:40 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389

Yes, I expect him to fall short of my expectations of what a max player should be. If you have no problem with filling your max salary slots with "nice (fitting)" players, more power to you.

No problem with it at all.  Competiti've now, rebuild for the future with great role models for young draft picks.  I can't imagine a better model, especially considering how we'll we have done as a meh FA destination.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC