Author Topic: Glen Taylor's weird (and now public) request of Wiggins  (Read 3766 times)

Glen Taylor's weird (and now public) request of Wiggins
« on: August 08, 2017, 12:42:52 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/twolves/2017/08/08/andrew-wiggins-must-commit-timberwolves-glen-taylor-max-offer/547982001/

I mean, he has to meet with Wiggins to tell him to get better before he will give him an extension.  First, shouldn't he already know what Wiggins commitment, work ethic, etc. is?  Second, why on earth would he tell the media this?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Re: Glen Taylor's weird (and now public) request of Wiggins
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 01:46:32 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/twolves/2017/08/08/andrew-wiggins-must-commit-timberwolves-glen-taylor-max-offer/547982001/

I mean, he has to meet with Wiggins to tell him to get better before he will give him an extension.  First, shouldn't he already know what Wiggins commitment, work ethic, etc. is?  Second, why on earth would he tell the media this?

I don't know why he would tell this to the media. I actually thought he had a really strong summer with Teague, Gibson, Crawford and Butler so surprising to see him immediately do an awful tactic

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 01:50:06 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
He didn't learn from the Kevin Love situation because LeBron bailed him out.  No more, no less.  Just a rich guy who thinks he can motivate his players better than his coaches.  Wiggins will sign the same contract next summer that Otto Porter did this year, and Taylor will get to decide if he wants to match it.  It'll be a worse contract for the Wolves than they could get for Wiggins right now.

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 02:15:54 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
He didn't learn from the Kevin Love situation because LeBron bailed him out.  No more, no less.  Just a rich guy who thinks he can motivate his players better than his coaches.  Wiggins will sign the same contract next summer that Otto Porter did this year, and Taylor will get to decide if he wants to match it.  It'll be a worse contract for the Wolves than they could get for Wiggins right now.
Why would 4 years 106 Million be worse than 5 years 148 Million? I think the wolves would much rather save 42 Million than just get 1 extra year from Wiggins. Plus Wiggins is going to sign that max 5 year extension anyway.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 02:23:01 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Easy answer - Because the wolves are a terribly managed team.

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 02:24:47 PM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
Are we sure there aren't issues with Wiggins behind the scenes? Maybe Taylor knows something we don't? Wasn't Wiggins billed as a potential stud defender coming out of college? I haven't watched a ton of him, but it doesn't seem like he's lived up to his potential defensively. Either way, I personally don't hate the idea of an owner having a discussion with his player before making a massive financial commitment.

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 03:05:18 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Why would 4 years 106 Million be worse than 5 years 148 Million? I think the wolves would much rather save 42 Million than just get 1 extra year from Wiggins. Plus Wiggins is going to sign that max 5 year extension anyway.

For starters, it will be for about $111 million, since the max salary will increase next year.
Secondly, it will contain a 15% trade kicker, which means the Wolves may wind up paying still a little more if they try to trade him.  It also may have a weird salary date, which could also mean the Wolves pay more money if they trade him.
Thirdly, and most importantly, it will have a player option for year 4.  So if Wiggins continues to get better, he'll get a new max deal at the 30% max-player threshold after 3 years, which will mean a higher salary than he'd otherwise make compared to years 4 and 5 of a max deal offered today.  And if Wiggins is ticked off by Taylor, as Love was, he will signal that he won't re-sign at all after those three years are up.

If Taylor's basketball people think Wiggins isn't worth the max, then they shouldn't offer it to him.  If they do, then they should.  Taylor's role should be as a cheerleader urging Wiggins to sign it and become a franchise player, not as someone who's trying to play mind games.

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 03:25:38 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Are we sure there aren't issues with Wiggins behind the scenes? Maybe Taylor knows something we don't? Wasn't Wiggins billed as a potential stud defender coming out of college? I haven't watched a ton of him, but it doesn't seem like he's lived up to his potential defensively. Either way, I personally don't hate the idea of an owner having a discussion with his player before making a massive financial commitment.
You don't think the owner has already had those conversations with his player.  Or at the very least high level management, including the coaches, haven't had those conversations.  It isn't like Wiggins was just drafted or they were thinking about adding him as a free agent, he has been there for 3 years. 

and even if everything you say is true and Taylor really hasn't had any conversations with his player, why on earth would he say any of that to the media?  It makes absolutely no sense. 

I'm more convinced Wiggins ends up as the main piece in an Irving trade now.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 05:02:05 PM »

Offline RIPRED

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 63
You don't think the owner has already had those conversations with his player.  Or at the very least high level management, including the coaches, haven't had those conversations.  It isn't like Wiggins was just drafted or they were thinking about adding him as a free agent, he has been there for 3 years. 

and even if everything you say is true and Taylor really hasn't had any conversations with his player, why on earth would he say any of that to the media?  It makes absolutely no sense. 

Clarification on my statement: I'm really just saying that we might not have all the details. Not indicting Wiggins of anything since I've payed almost no attention to his career. The examples I gave were for devil's advocate purposes only.

With that said, I still don't see an issue with an owner meeting with his player or publicly discussing his/her opinion about a player who is about to sign a massive contract. Does it seem out of the ordinary? yes. Does that really matter? No. Is Taylor a bad owner? Signs point to yes. https://www.canishoopus.com/2017/4/18/15343924/kg-timberwolves-breakup-showed-me-the-true-glen-taylor

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 05:27:51 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

Wouldn't Teague and Irving be extremely redundant? It also creates a roster imbalance for them where their pieces actually fit together really nice right now. While it is "good" value for the Cavs does it really help them next year? Their starting backcourt would be Rose and Jr Smith? That isn't beating golden State...

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2017, 05:42:00 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton

Wouldn't Teague and Irving be extremely redundant? It also creates a roster imbalance for them where their pieces actually fit together really nice right now. While it is "good" value for the Cavs does it really help them next year? Their starting backcourt would be Rose and Jr Smith? That isn't beating golden State...
No they are much different players. Teague is a solid all around guard who does everything pretty good, but nothing spectacular. Can play off the ball or with the ball. Irving is only an offensive player, and isn’t much of a facilitator, but is a fantastic scorer. He can play off the ball as well, but you want him to have the ball in his hands. Irving obviously can’t guard shooting guards well, but he can’t guard point guards either. Since it’s a point guard driven league, it might be easier for him anyway to be guarding 2s instead. Plus having a great defensive player next to him in Jimmy and another solid one in Teague, he might be able to be hidden on defense, especially if Thibs is able to execute a good scheme.

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2017, 06:38:12 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis

No they are much different players. Teague is a solid all around guard who does everything pretty good, but nothing spectacular. Can play off the ball or with the ball. Irving is only an offensive player, and isn’t much of a facilitator, but is a fantastic scorer. He can play off the ball as well, but you want him to have the ball in his hands. Irving obviously can’t guard shooting guards well, but he can’t guard point guards either. Since it’s a point guard driven league, it might be easier for him anyway to be guarding 2s instead. Plus having a great defensive player next to him in Jimmy and another solid one in Teague, he might be able to be hidden on defense, especially if Thibs is able to execute a good scheme.

Gonna have to disagree with all of this. They are both 6'1-6'2 shoot first point guards. Can't really polish that one into anything else.

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2017, 07:28:37 PM »

Online hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700
He's the owner , he pays all the salaries. If talking face to face with a player before giving him a max contract makes him feel more invested in the decision, and in turn  leads to him being more willing to open up the checkbook when the GM asks him to go over the cap to get a guy or two for a playoff run, then I don't see any issues with it.

Also, why is it at all considered strange for a billionaire to want to ask his employee face to face if he is willing to commit to be the best he can be before making him one of the highest paid people in the organization and committing the long term future of the franchise to him?

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2017, 08:17:49 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton

Gonna have to disagree with all of this. They are both 6'1-6'2 shoot first point guards. Can't really polish that one into anything else.
Judging by your lack of detail and accuracy, I’d guess you have never seen Jeff Teague play. Thats ok, but stick to posting about stuff you know about then.

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2017, 08:50:12 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
He's the owner , he pays all the salaries. If talking face to face with a player before giving him a max contract makes him feel more invested in the decision, and in turn  leads to him being more willing to open up the checkbook when the GM asks him to go over the cap to get a guy or two for a playoff run, then I don't see any issues with it.

Also, why is it at all considered strange for a billionaire to want to ask his employee face to face if he is willing to commit to be the best he can be before making him one of the highest paid people in the organization and committing the long term future of the franchise to him?
It's not strange.  The strange part is that he's saying it to the media instead of Wiggins.  Seems like a Phil Jackson type move.