Poll

Celtics off-season grade

A / A-
B+/ B / B-
C+ / C / C-
D+ / D / D-
F+ / F

Author Topic: Grading Danny's offseason moves  (Read 10232 times)

Re: Grading Danny's offseason moves
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2017, 05:53:32 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Why are people assuming that the Bradley for Morris trade only started being discussed after Hayward gave the Celtics word he would sign with them?

So they can feel smarter than Ainge and in a position to give him a bad grade? It can become boring to always acknowledge how good of a GM you have, constantly celebrating shrewd moves? Some people prefer to have something to complain about?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #46 on: August 12, 2017, 09:14:53 PM »

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
I grade the OPs grade an F.

/class dismissed

lol.  You definitely have that substitute teacher vibe.

« Reply #47 on: August 12, 2017, 10:53:55 PM »

Offline Bobshot

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 141
This is like the students grading the teacher. The media likes to do that. They are paid to do it.
Fans do it for fun, so that makes it more acceptable to me.

I would put Danny in the A-B category. One of the better GMs in the NBA, though there are other good ones. I think some of the things he hasn't done (like trade for George) have probably been limited by money--cap limitations.

The only deals you can judge are the ones made, and he has done pretty well there. He's filled out the roster with a lot of promising players, and we'll see who stands out.

I give him a high rating, because he's gotten rid of the players I thought he should get rid of(excluding Bradley, whom he had to trade), and gotten stronger and tougher up front.

It's nice to know we're on the same page, Danny.  :laugh:

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2017, 01:01:50 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I like adding Hayward.

I am okay with Theis, Bird, Baynes, Semi, Nader, and Zizic all seem like guys worth taking shots on.

Dislike draft of Allen should have gone for a big or traded the pick away it's a stacked position. Larkin again this isnt a need unless Smart or Rozier are dealt why waste the spot and $. Yab not staying overseas or in dleague one more year kind of hurts the roster.

Really feel AB should have been dealt on draft night for a pick 12-18 range. Morris should be serviceable but he is a little too much of a SF.

Last thing, Danny needed something more concrete in giving up #1 to the 76ers. #3 and a dual protected pick is garbage for the #1 overall.

C-

« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2017, 02:09:51 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I like adding Hayward.

I am okay with Theis, Bird, Baynes, Semi, Nader, and Zizic all seem like guys worth taking shots on.

Dislike draft of Allen should have gone for a big or traded the pick away it's a stacked position. Larkin again this isnt a need unless Smart or Rozier are dealt why waste the spot and $. Yab not staying overseas or in dleague one more year kind of hurts the roster.

Really feel AB should have been dealt on draft night for a pick 12-18 range. Morris should be serviceable but he is a little too much of a SF.

Last thing, Danny needed something more concrete in giving up #1 to the 76ers. #3 and a dual protected pick is garbage for the #1 overall.

C-
Pretty misguided criticism of the trading of the #1 pick.

Considering Tatum was their guy all along, what would you have preferred: Jayson Tatum, or Jayson Tatum and a shot at a top pick next year (or the year after)? It's a no contest.

Seems an unbalanced grading
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #50 on: August 13, 2017, 02:35:23 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I like adding Hayward.

C-

Considering Tatum was their guy all along, what would you have preferred: Jayson Tatum, or Jayson Tatum and a shot at a top pick next year (or the year after)? It's a no contest.

That's actually misguided. Just look at value of the draft position and the fact that Fultz was deemed the consensus #1. It was low return. What the players become may change the trade winner but as of right now that was a robbery for the 76ers. They should at the very least not  have accepted top protection.

« Reply #51 on: August 13, 2017, 02:44:52 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
I like adding Hayward.

C-

That's actually misguided. Just look at value of the draft position and the fact that Fultz was deemed the consensus #1. It was low return. What the players become may change the trade winner but as of right now that was a robbery for the 76ers. They should at the very least not  have accepted top protection.
the talent gap between Fultz and Tatum does not exist. All the top 5 picks and dsj have potential to be good contributors as well as future stars. Danny got away with robbery

« Reply #52 on: August 13, 2017, 07:14:53 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I like adding Hayward.

C-

the talent gap between Fultz and Tatum does not exist. All the top 5 picks and dsj have potential to be good contributors as well as future stars. Danny got away with robbery

Um...you're both right depending on your perspective.

If you believe that there was little to no separation (or even that Tatum deserved to be #1 as Danny is claiming) then the deal was a great one for the Celtics. They got what is almost certain to be a top 5 pick for essentially nothing. There's no faulting that deal when that's your perspective.

If you believe there is a gap between Fultz and Tatum then the Celtics didn't get great value for trading down. History shows that teams moving down from a sure-fire #1 get a lot more than just one other top 5 pick. So in that sense Csfan is correct - the Cs did not get the proper return for moving down.

------

I think the trade down was probably made for a few reasons. I think Danny fell in love with Tatum and it's easy to see why when you watch the tape of the ACC Tournament versus Fultz' sitting at home at the same time. I don't think Fultz particularly impressed in his workout here either with his skills or his attitude and Tatum blew the doors off with both. I also think that Danny didn't want to create a circus with Fultz/IT. Long term those guys can't play together and the narrative all year would have been "will IT get resigned because of Fultz?". That would be the omnipresent question every single night, every single press conference. That's how you destroy a locker room and it wasn't something that needed to happen. Tatum plays more of a position of need than Fultz.

So I believe ultimately what happened was that Tatum closed the gap to next-to-nothing from a skills standpoint. Once that happened, the lure of trading down to a desperate Philly team while getting another top 5 pick and a cheaper player became the way to go. Since Danny needed that pick to be in the top 3 to be sure he got Tatum, the 76ers were the only choice to make the deal. They were very high on Fox and would not give up a King's Ransom to get Fultz, whom they considered only a slight upgrade. So that's why we wound up with the middle-of-the-road trade where we didn't get full value for the pick.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #53 on: August 13, 2017, 08:21:02 AM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
I like to break in down with talent in verses talent out comparing roles/positions/contracts.

The big one.

Hayward verses Bradley.  As much as I like Bradley this is a big upgrade.  Maybe some think it's debatable if Hayward is a max player, but it's a much better contract than what Bradley will get next offseason and he might have left for nothing.

Morris verses Olynyk.  Morris is more consistent and dependable, and that in itself is an upgrade.  Morris is on a much better contract than what KO is now gettting paid. 

Baynes verses A Johnson.  I liked Johnson but he seemed broken down even though younger than Baynes.  Baynes is a rock solid backup C and adds a bit of toughness, and on a very good contract.

Zizic verses Zeller.  Zeller may be the better player now, but it doesn't mean a whole lot when you don't play much. As a 3rd string center I'd rather take a chance on Zizic's upside and cheap contract.

Tatum verses Green.  Green was a scoring spark on occasions off the bench, and even started some playoff games. Tatum can fill at least that role in his rookie year.

Theis verses JJ.  Theis is a complete unknown to me.  Jonas was a very useful player at times for us.  If Theis could that which is a huge question mark I'll be happy.  Who knows though Larkin may make the team over him.

Other developmental players
Yabu, Semi, and Nadar I like better than Mickey, Jackson, and Young. Too bad we didn't get anything out of those 3.  It will be interesting to see if any of them make it somewhere else in the league.

Overall I'd have to give this off-season at least a B+. Given the cap situation being less than we though Ainge did a very good job.

That's not factoring in possible improvements in Brown, Smart, and Rozier while also keeping Crowder.

My only real slight worry is Horford is another year into his 30s but I'll think he will be fine especially considering he won't be relied upon as a big scoring threat. Just keep doing the all around things.

My other slight worry is Thomas had such a magical year, and really carried this team.  I wouldn't be surprised if he took a little step back, but with Hayward on board they can share the number one option.

« Reply #54 on: August 13, 2017, 11:59:06 AM »

Offline GreenEnvy

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1031
I like to break in down with talent in verses talent out comparing roles/positions/contracts.

The big one.

Hayward verses Bradley.  As much as I like Bradley this is a big upgrade.  Maybe some think it's debatable if Hayward is a max player, but it's a much better contract than what Bradley will get next offseason and he might have left for nothing.

Morris verses Olynyk.  Morris is more consistent and dependable, and that in itself is an upgrade.  Morris is on a much better contract than what KO is now gettting paid. 

Baynes verses A Johnson.  I liked Johnson but he seemed broken down even though younger than Baynes.  Baynes is a rock solid backup C and adds a bit of toughness, and on a very good contract.

Zizic verses Zeller.  Zeller may be the better player now, but it doesn't mean a whole lot when you don't play much. As a 3rd string center I'd rather take a chance on Zizic's upside and cheap contract.

Tatum verses Green.  Green was a scoring spark on occasions off the bench, and even started some playoff games. Tatum can fill at least that role in his rookie year.

Theis verses JJ.  Theis is a complete unknown to me.  Jonas was a very useful player at times for us.  If Theis could that which is a huge question mark I'll be happy.  Who knows though Larkin may make the team over him.

Yabu, Semi, and Nadar I like better than Mickey, Jackson, and Young. Too bad we didn't get anything out of those 3.  It will be interesting to see if any of them make it somewhere else in the league.

Overall I'd have to give this off-season at least a B+. Given the cap situation being less than we though Ainge did a very good job.

That's not factoring in possible improvements in Brown, Smart, and Rozier while also keeping Crowder.

My only real slight worry is Horford is another year into his 30s but I'll think he will be fine especially considering he won't be relied upon as a big scoring threat. Just keep doing the all around things.

My other slight worry is Thomas had such a magical year, and really carried this team.  I wouldn't be surprised if he took a little step back, but with Hayward on board they can share the number one option.

So, according to you, he basically upgraded across the board, but doesn't get higher than a B+?

Reading this thread, it seems anything short of signing Durant, trading AB/Crowder for George, trade #1 for Porzingis, and having Fox fall to us at #37 while keeping the Nets '18 was a bad offseason.
CELTICS 2024

« Reply #55 on: August 13, 2017, 12:41:25 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I still don't understand how anyone could think signing a top free agent in the prime of his career and drafting 3rd in the same summer is anything less than a great offseason. Your expectations are out of wack if that is anywhere less than good. Even thinking it was simply 'good' is a odd to me, but not a big deal.

You are really out thinking yourself if you are coming out of this summer believing the Celtics had an average or below average offseason. Teams don't sign top players and draft top picks in this league often if ever, and the Celtics have done it two years in a row.
I gave the summer a B- for a number of reasons. 

First, we had the 1st pick and traded back to get the 3rd pick and an unknown future pick.  In the process, we gave up a chance to pick up the two most highly regarded prospects from the draft to select someone else, who many felt wasn't even the 3rd best prospect.  I understand Ainge really liked Tatum and the trade probably saved Ainge some face, but I still think it was a bad trade on the whole.

Second, Ainge knew for a number of weeks that in order to sign a max level free agent, he was going to have to move Smart, Crowder, or Bradley and likely would need to waive Mickey and/or Jackson.  It appeared that he was scrambling around and settled on the Bradley/Morris trade at the last minute.  Had he been a little more proactive, especially before the draft, I feel he could have gotten better value than Morris and certainly shouldn't have had to give up a 2nd round pick in the process.

Third, I was very disappointed that Boston didn't even seem to try to acquire Butler or George, two players that were traded for value that Boston could have easily eclipsed.  Butler and George are also both better than Hayward and frankly I'd rather have George and Bradley then Morris, Smart, Crowder and a future non-premium 1st (even if that cost Boston Hayward).  I think Ainge really missed on not landing George.  He could have been a real difference maker and the difference between losing to Cleveland or beating Cleveland.  And I understand why Ainge didn't go harder after Butler (i.e. he loved Tatum), but I'd rather have Butler and 16 than 3, Smart, and Crowder (or whatever the package ultimately would have ended up as if it was in that range).  I just feel Ainge was so set on using cap space, that he let better players go for relatively inexpensively that he shouldn't have.

So for me, on the whole I rate the summer as a B-.

If Ainge himself personally explained to you that they really had Tatum rated the highest of all prospects, really couldn't get a better deal for Bradley no matter when it happened, and really couldn't make a reasonable trade for either George or Butler, would you believe him or would you stick to your grade?
I'm sure Ainge believes all that to be true, but it doesn't make it so.  Especially the George part because it has been put out there and hasn't been refuted that Indiana would have traded George for Smart, Crowder, and a non-premium 1st.  No one from either team has disputed that report.  Ainge just didn't want to commit to do the trade at the time Indiana wanted a commitment that it would go down no matter what (i.e. Indiana merely wanted Boston to say, we will do the trade even if we don't land Hayward, just give us some time to work out the cap space).  Ainge totally blew that and if it wasn't true, someone would have said it wasn't true.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2017, 01:31:27 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I still don't understand how anyone could think signing a top free agent in the prime of his career and drafting 3rd in the same summer is anything less than a great offseason. Your expectations are out of wack if that is anywhere less than good. Even thinking it was simply 'good' is a odd to me, but not a big deal.

You are really out thinking yourself if you are coming out of this summer believing the Celtics had an average or below average offseason. Teams don't sign top players and draft top picks in this league often if ever, and the Celtics have done it two years in a row.

First, we had the 1st pick and traded back to get the 3rd pick and an unknown future pick.  In the process, we gave up a chance to pick up the two most highly regarded prospects from the draft to select someone else, who many felt wasn't even the 3rd best prospect.  I understand Ainge really liked Tatum and the trade probably saved Ainge some face, but I still think it was a bad trade on the whole.

Second, Ainge knew for a number of weeks that in order to sign a max level free agent, he was going to have to move Smart, Crowder, or Bradley and likely would need to waive Mickey and/or Jackson.  It appeared that he was scrambling around and settled on the Bradley/Morris trade at the last minute.  Had he been a little more proactive, especially before the draft, I feel he could have gotten better value than Morris and certainly shouldn't have had to give up a 2nd round pick in the process.

Third, I was very disappointed that Boston didn't even seem to try to acquire Butler or George, two players that were traded for value that Boston could have easily eclipsed.  Butler and George are also both better than Hayward and frankly I'd rather have George and Bradley then Morris, Smart, Crowder and a future non-premium 1st (even if that cost Boston Hayward).  I think Ainge really missed on not landing George.  He could have been a real difference maker and the difference between losing to Cleveland or beating Cleveland.  And I understand why Ainge didn't go harder after Butler (i.e. he loved Tatum), but I'd rather have Butler and 16 than 3, Smart, and Crowder (or whatever the package ultimately would have ended up as if it was in that range).  I just feel Ainge was so set on using cap space, that he let better players go for relatively inexpensively that he shouldn't have.

If Ainge himself personally explained to you that they really had Tatum rated the highest of all prospects, really couldn't get a better deal for Bradley no matter when it happened, and really couldn't make a reasonable trade for either George or Butler, would you believe him or would you stick to your grade?
I'm sure Ainge believes all that to be true, but it doesn't make it so.  Especially the George part because it has been put out there and hasn't been refuted that Indiana would have traded George for Smart, Crowder, and a non-premium 1st.  No one from either team has disputed that report.  Ainge just didn't want to commit to do the trade at the time Indiana wanted a commitment that it would go down no matter what (i.e. Indiana merely wanted Boston to say, we will do the trade even if we don't land Hayward, just give us some time to work out the cap space).  Ainge totally blew that and if it wasn't true, someone would have said it wasn't true.
So we now live in a world where because people don't refute stuff that makes it so?

« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2017, 02:32:42 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512

The big one.

So, according to you, he basically upgraded across the board, but doesn't get higher than a B+?

Reading this thread, it seems anything short of signing Durant, trading AB/Crowder for George, trade #1 for Porzingis, and having Fox fall to us at #37 while keeping the Nets '18 was a bad offseason.

Jeez dude, I did basically say he did mostly the best he could given the cap situation.  Alright I'll upgrade to an A-.  I was hoping for slightly more in return for Bradley, but I get it given Bradley's inpending FA, and I wonder how much we'll miss his D on opposing PGs.  Yeah a perfect A is if we could trade for another star ala 2007 all over again. Nothing wrong with saying that.

« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2017, 02:54:06 PM »

Offline ThePaintedArea

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 111

So we now live in a world where because people don't refute stuff that makes it so?

It seems to me that we now live in a world where refuting things makes no difference at all...

« Reply #59 on: August 13, 2017, 03:18:19 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

The big one.

TP. This is basically exactly how I feel. B+/A- territory. Ainge upgraded across the board without making the big firework all-timer move (which I guess would've been signing Hayward and trading for George) which would've gotten him an A+. But overall a really good offseason.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008