Poll

Celtics off-season grade

A / A-
B+/ B / B-
C+ / C / C-
D+ / D / D-
F+ / F

Author Topic: Grading Danny's offseason moves  (Read 10271 times)

Re: Grading Danny's offseason moves
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2017, 12:08:44 AM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
My take on our offseason :

Hayward, 4(minus 1)-year max --> (A)
Tatum at #3 --> (B+)
Semi at #37 --> (B+)
Baynes, 1-year deal for $4,300,000 --> (B-)
Nader, 4(3+1)-year deal for $5,917,045 --> (C+)
Theis, 2-year deal for the minimum --> (C)
Pistons trade --> (D+)
Larkin, 1-year deal for $1,524,305 --> (D+)
Sixers trade --> (D-)
stretching Jackson over 7 years --> (F) - obviously it's a minor move but I hate it anyway

Kadeem Allen at #53 (meh whatever)
Jabari Bird at #56 (meh whatever)

Overall   C-

Jeez.

You're giving Danny C's and D's for inconsequential moves like signing Shane Larkin and Daniel Theis? Who do you expect him to get with the vet min, Lebron? You give him a D+ for trading AB, but we *had* to trade him in order to make room for Hayward anyway, and Danny still managed to get fair value.

Not to mention the fact that the whole reason we're in this great position to begin with is because of Danny's past brilliance. No Nets trade, no Tatum. No IT trade, no Hayward.

Danny is an A+ GM.

« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2017, 07:04:32 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

Tatum at #3 --> (B+)
Semi at #37 --> (B+)
Pistons trade --> (D+)
Sixers trade --> (D-)
stretching Jackson over 7 years --> (F) - obviously it's a minor move but I hate it anyway

Overall   C-
You're giving Danny C's and D's for inconsequential moves like signing Shane Larkin and Daniel Theis? Who do you expect him to get with the vet min, Lebron? You give him a D+ for trading AB, but we *had* to trade him in order to make room for Hayward anyway, and Danny still managed to get fair value.

I am not too high on Theis but getting a decent euroleaguet tested big body for the minimum is definately not a bad deal unless you expected to get 25mpg guy.   

And it seems that the OP values the same way signing Hayward and signing Larkin or stretching Jackson.  GH by himself guarantees a B+

The summer could have gone better but overall it was a good offseason

« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2017, 07:11:33 AM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 976
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."

Tatum at #3 --> (B+)
Semi at #37 --> (B+)
Pistons trade --> (D+)
Sixers trade --> (D-)

Overall   C-

Jeez.

Not to mention the fact that the whole reason we're in this great position to begin with is because of Danny's past brilliance. No Nets trade, no Tatum. No IT trade, no Hayward.

Danny is an A+ GM.
Well A+ is a bit of hyperbole, but I agree that jvalin didn't do his overall grade correctly.  He gave an A and 2- B+'s for the most important moves, so his overall grade should have been a B+ or A-.  8)

« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2017, 07:13:11 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
Its hard to know what move DA didnt make that where available to him. Based on what we know was available I have to give DA an A. For me the bottom line is he signed Hayward and drafted Tatum. I believe Tatum will have as good a career as any player in this class.

The what if that will hang over this entire season is the Paul George trade. I do not believe the Pacers used any logic with this deal and there for can not blame DA for not landing George.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2017, 09:14:50 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I grade the OPs grade an F.

/class dismissed
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #35 on: August 11, 2017, 09:29:54 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I'm in the B- category.  Overall a good but not great summer of moves. 
« Last Edit: August 11, 2017, 09:39:26 AM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2017, 10:01:18 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Giving it a plain old A
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2017, 10:27:47 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
We got the best free agent available* the #3 pick in the draft, and a very good shot at another mid-to-high lottery pick.

Losing AB hurt and trading down in the draft is controversial, but the only way the offseason went anything but great is compared to the counterfactuals about how we think/wish it could've gone.

*not counting guys like Durant who were never looking at other teams

« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2017, 01:45:13 PM »

Offline DarkAzcura

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 100
I still don't understand how anyone could think signing a top free agent in the prime of his career and drafting 3rd in the same summer is anything less than a great offseason. Your expectations are out of wack if that is anywhere less than good. Even thinking it was simply 'good' is a odd to me, but not a big deal.

You are really out thinking yourself if you are coming out of this summer believing the Celtics had an average or below average offseason. Teams don't sign top players and draft top picks in this league often if ever, and the Celtics have done it two years in a row.

« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2017, 02:13:02 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
I still don't understand how anyone could think signing a top free agent in the prime of his career and drafting 3rd in the same summer is anything less than a great offseason. Your expectations are out of wack if that is anywhere less than good. Even thinking it was simply 'good' is a odd to me, but not a big deal.

You are really out thinking yourself if you are coming out of this summer believing the Celtics had an average or below average offseason. Teams don't sign top players and draft top picks in this league often if ever, and the Celtics have done it two years in a row.
I gave the summer a B- for a number of reasons. 

First, we had the 1st pick and traded back to get the 3rd pick and an unknown future pick.  In the process, we gave up a chance to pick up the two most highly regarded prospects from the draft to select someone else, who many felt wasn't even the 3rd best prospect.  I understand Ainge really liked Tatum and the trade probably saved Ainge some face, but I still think it was a bad trade on the whole.

Second, Ainge knew for a number of weeks that in order to sign a max level free agent, he was going to have to move Smart, Crowder, or Bradley and likely would need to waive Mickey and/or Jackson.  It appeared that he was scrambling around and settled on the Bradley/Morris trade at the last minute.  Had he been a little more proactive, especially before the draft, I feel he could have gotten better value than Morris and certainly shouldn't have had to give up a 2nd round pick in the process.

Third, I was very disappointed that Boston didn't even seem to try to acquire Butler or George, two players that were traded for value that Boston could have easily eclipsed.  Butler and George are also both better than Hayward and frankly I'd rather have George and Bradley then Morris, Smart, Crowder and a future non-premium 1st (even if that cost Boston Hayward).  I think Ainge really missed on not landing George.  He could have been a real difference maker and the difference between losing to Cleveland or beating Cleveland.  And I understand why Ainge didn't go harder after Butler (i.e. he loved Tatum), but I'd rather have Butler and 16 than 3, Smart, and Crowder (or whatever the package ultimately would have ended up as if it was in that range).  I just feel Ainge was so set on using cap space, that he let better players go for relatively inexpensively that he shouldn't have.

So for me, on the whole I rate the summer as a B-. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #40 on: August 11, 2017, 04:26:19 PM »

Offline rochrist

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Aside from trading AB (instead of Smart&Crowder), and not bringing in rebounding are my two knocks on the offseason so far.

Hayward signing and acing the draft by getting Tatum + another asset makes up for that, mostly. Want to control the boards though.

B

How many freaking rebounders did you want him to bring in? Baynes, Zizic, Theis, Ojeleye... For that matter, Tatum's length and play in SL indicates he's likely to provide rebounding help.

This team is potentially a far better rebounding team than last year's.

« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2017, 04:47:47 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Aside from trading AB (instead of Smart&Crowder), and not bringing in rebounding are my two knocks on the offseason so far.

Hayward signing and acing the draft by getting Tatum + another asset makes up for that, mostly. Want to control the boards though.

B

How many freaking rebounders did you want him to bring in? Baynes, Zizic, Theis, Ojeleye... For that matter, Tatum's length and play in SL indicates he's likely to provide rebounding help.

Well let's hope they're a better rebounding team. Holy smokes.

Concerning personnel, I was hoping for a rebounder who might A) be a rotation player, and B) play significant minutes, and C) has some solid NBA experience.

Who is getting the 96 minutes up front?  Pencil in Horford and Morris for 30-32 each, but after that we're really hoping someone impresses.  There is room for someone to step up.

« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2017, 05:12:20 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

I gave the summer a B- for a number of reasons. 

First, we had the 1st pick and traded back to get the 3rd pick and an unknown future pick.  In the process, we gave up a chance to pick up the two most highly regarded prospects from the draft to select someone else, who many felt wasn't even the 3rd best prospect.  I understand Ainge really liked Tatum and the trade probably saved Ainge some face, but I still think it was a bad trade on the whole.

Second, Ainge knew for a number of weeks that in order to sign a max level free agent, he was going to have to move Smart, Crowder, or Bradley and likely would need to waive Mickey and/or Jackson.  It appeared that he was scrambling around and settled on the Bradley/Morris trade at the last minute.  Had he been a little more proactive, especially before the draft, I feel he could have gotten better value than Morris and certainly shouldn't have had to give up a 2nd round pick in the process.

Third, I was very disappointed that Boston didn't even seem to try to acquire Butler or George, two players that were traded for value that Boston could have easily eclipsed.  Butler and George are also both better than Hayward and frankly I'd rather have George and Bradley then Morris, Smart, Crowder and a future non-premium 1st (even if that cost Boston Hayward).  I think Ainge really missed on not landing George.  He could have been a real difference maker and the difference between losing to Cleveland or beating Cleveland.  And I understand why Ainge didn't go harder after Butler (i.e. he loved Tatum), but I'd rather have Butler and 16 than 3, Smart, and Crowder (or whatever the package ultimately would have ended up as if it was in that range).  I just feel Ainge was so set on using cap space, that he let better players go for relatively inexpensively that he shouldn't have.

So for me, on the whole I rate the summer as a B-.

If Ainge himself personally explained to you that they really had Tatum rated the highest of all prospects, really couldn't get a better deal for Bradley no matter when it happened, and really couldn't make a reasonable trade for either George or Butler, would you believe him or would you stick to your grade?
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2017, 05:41:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Why are people assuming that the Bradley for Morris trade only started being discussed after Hayward gave the Celtics word he would sign with them? I don't know about you but I think Danny is more the guy that is thinking three steps ahead of time not two steps back. Ainge was talking with Detroit to trade Bradley for Morris for some time as an option to save money and get a good asset. These trades don't just happen out of nowhere. I am sure of it. He probably had quietly been seeing what he could get for Avery for months.

« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2017, 05:52:32 PM »

Offline rochrist

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

B

Kind of like Baynes you mean.

Well let's hope they're a better rebounding team. Holy smokes.

Concerning personnel, I was hoping for a rebounder who might A) be a rotation player, and B) play significant minutes, and C) has some solid NBA experience.

Who is getting the 96 minutes up front?  Pencil in Horford and Morris for 30-32 each, but after that we're really hoping someone impresses.  There is room for someone to step up.