Author Topic: 2017-18 EPL Season  (Read 54848 times)

Re: 2017-18 EPL Season
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2017, 02:06:39 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN

Newbie again...what's a traditional english style?

In a single word: garbage.

English play style has no use for midfielders because they rather just have the defensive backs kick the ball 70 yards up the field straight to the attacking players. Of course this never works at the International level, thus why England always disappoints in tournaments. It's a very rudimentary play style with no imagination. Not every team in the EPL plays this way, and the best teams obviously do have good midfielders and try to avoid this play style as much as possible though.

Funny thing is, the EPL up until recently was no different than any of the other European leagues, they had a couple of powerhouses and a bunch of fodder. With all the new TV deals the EPL was able to secure with American cable networks that changed, pretty much every team has money now. But I hate the way they play football in that league and refuse to watch that **** league.
It does wreck other countries' style of play, and getting the W fair and square is the important thing, not dilly dallying in the midfield like Ajax and getting their ass kicked in the EL final, so say what you want about "garbage" when it brings wins.:)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 02:12:53 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2017, 01:58:53 PM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text

English play style has no use for midfielders because they rather just have the defensive backs kick the ball 70 yards up the field straight to the attacking players. Of course this never works at the International level, thus why England always disappoints in tournaments. It's a very rudimentary play style with no imagination. Not every team in the EPL plays this way, and the best teams obviously do have good midfielders and try to avoid this play style as much as possible though.

Funny thing is, the EPL up until recently was no different than any of the other European leagues, they had a couple of powerhouses and a bunch of fodder. With all the new TV deals the EPL was able to secure with American cable networks that changed, pretty much every team has money now. But I hate the way they play football in that league and refuse to watch that **** league.
It does wreck other countries' style of play, and getting the W fair and square is the important thing, not dilly dallying in the midfield like Ajax and getting their ass kicked in the EL final, so say what you want about "garbage" when it brings wins.:)

Actually it just hand possession back to the opponents when the big number 9 fails to control the ball long enough for help to come through 95% of the time.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2017, 10:36:02 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Swap Alexis for Draxler, kill two birds with one stone.

Come on, Arsenal. He's good friends with Ozil and he's teammates with Kolasinac before, we have the recruiters.

https://twitter.com/YahooSportUK/status/898145285129588736

PSG boss Unai Emery has told Julian Draxler there's no room for him in his squad. He signed in January.... #PSG
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2017, 11:01:45 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Paul Pogba, Eden Hazard, David Silva, N'golo Kante, Nemanja Matic, Philippe Countinho, Kevin De Bruyne, Mesut Ozil, Christian Eriksen, Dele Alli, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Riyad Mahrez, Wayne Rooney disagrees.

There are also a few names, a tier below the top guys such as Aaron Ramsey, Yaya Toure (he's here now), Ander Herrera, Henrik Mkhitaryan, Ilkay Gundogan, Cesc Fabregas (he's here now too), Sadio Mane, Ross Barkley, Jordan Henderson who would also disagree. All (except maybe Andre Herrera) are representing their national teams and all are top quality.

And then there are new guys like Mohamed Salah,  Bernardo Silva, Tiemou Bakayoko, Davy Klaasen. Those guys are vital to their previous clubs' success themselves, and are now in the PL.

I don't think there's any other league in the world that can say they can sport a crop of midfielders this talented in one league.

(and I may have forgotten a few more names)

« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2017, 11:05:53 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Actually it just hand possession back to the opponents when the big number 9 fails to control the ball long enough for help to come through 95% of the time.
Well we've got Ibra and Lukaku so I'm not worrying about handing over possession lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #50 on: August 17, 2017, 11:06:49 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Paul Pogba, Eden Hazard, David Silva, N'golo Kante, Nemanja Matic, Philippe Countinho, Kevin De Bruyne, Mesut Ozil, Christian Eriksen, Dele Alli, Gylfi Sigurdsson, Riyad Mahrez, Wayne Rooney disagrees.

There are also a few names, a tier below the top guys such as Aaron Ramsey, Yaya Toure (he's here now), Ander Herrera, Henrik Mkhitaryan, Ilkay Gundogan, Cesc Fabregas (he's here now too), Sadio Mane, Ross Barkley, Jordan Henderson who would also disagree. All (except maybe Andre Herrera) are representing their national teams and all are top quality.

And then there are new guys like Mohamed Salah,  Bernardo Silva, Tiemou Bakayoko, Davy Klaasen. Those guys are vital to their previous clubs' success themselves, and are now in the PL.

I don't think there's any other league in the world that can say they can sport a crop of midfielders this talented in one league.

Yeah, you forgot Juan Mata and Mr. Overpaid albeit useful Nemanja Matic.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #51 on: August 17, 2017, 11:13:57 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I had Matic on the list. I think he's going to be great.

I did forget Juan Mata, but then again, for some part of the season, so did Jose', so call it even?

« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2017, 08:12:37 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

I had Matic on the list. I think he's going to be great.

I did forget Juan Mata, but then again, for some part of the season, so did Jose', so call it even?
Lol yeah. I like Matic but 50 million is a bit crazy for a 29 year old like him.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #53 on: August 18, 2017, 09:06:27 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Tottenham completed the signing of Davinson Sanchez.  They now clearly have the best defense in the league with

Dier, Dembele, Wanyama in midfield

Verthongen, Alderwereild, Sanchez in the back

Rose, Trippier on the wings

Lloris in net

I would not want to go up against that team
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2017, 12:39:22 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Tottenham completed the signing of Davinson Sanchez.  They now clearly have the best defense in the league with

Lloris in net

I certainly disagree, United have Pogba, Matic, Herrera and Fellaini in the midfield, Bailly, Smalling, Jones and Lindelof at the back and Valencia and Darmian on the wings with De Gea between the sticks, imo that's as good as Tottenham's defense.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2017, 06:48:36 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816

Lloris in net

I certainly disagree, United have Pogba, Matic, Herrera and Fellaini in the midfield, Bailly, Smalling, Jones and Lindelof at the back and Valencia and Darmian on the wings with De Gea between the sticks, imo that's as good as Tottenham's defense.

Wanyama had a bigger impact on Tottenham last year than Pogba did on Man U. 

Toby is the best center back in the league, and Magic had one good game but is largely inconsistent.  Rose is the best left back in the league. 

Also Dembele is probably the most underrated player in the league by pundits and fans
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2017, 08:01:33 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Matic reminding me of Darko with that #31 shirt for Man Utd.

The way he moves. Giant - towers over people in midfield. Both lefties.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 08:14:11 AM by Who »

« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2017, 08:04:10 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Lloris in net

Wanyama had a bigger impact on Tottenham last year than Pogba did on Man U. 

Toby is the best center back in the league, and Magic had one good game but is largely inconsistent.  Rose is the best left back in the league. 

Also Dembele is probably the most underrated player in the league by pundits and fans
From what I've seen we dominated a team that's most likely going to finish at 8th or 10th place and you guys could only score when a new team straight from the CL was down to 10 men. We'll see as the season progresses.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #58 on: August 19, 2017, 09:31:05 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Lukaku being a goal machine, Pogba and Matic being the ultimate midfield axis and Martial being our super sub. Everyone's GOATing in United 8)
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #59 on: August 19, 2017, 11:10:26 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Lukaku being a goal machine, Pogba and Matic being the ultimate midfield axis and Martial being our super sub. Everyone's GOATing in United 8)

The speed on their counter attack is terrifying. Happy for Martial, he's becoming one of my favorite players (which sucks because he's a Man United guy). The kid is full of promise. That run, the move to get space and that finish is just a beauty to watch.