Author Topic: 2017-18 EPL Season  (Read 54831 times)

Re: 2017-18 EPL Season
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2017, 03:12:07 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82

If we made the Champions League having Chamakh, Bendtner, Arshavin, Denilson, Rosicky, and Alex Song in our squad, we can do it with Lacazette, Ramsey, Walcott, Giroud, Xhaka, (I think).

It's PL so everything is possible but i highly doubt it. The competition for CL spots is much higher today.

We can win the Europa League? ;-)

Yes, of course.  Look who won it last season... ;)

« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2017, 03:31:11 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
How we get £35 million for Ox is beyond me. But hey, I'll take some good news.

http://www.skysports.com/transfer-centre

BREAKING NEWS

We understand Chelsea have agreed a fee with Arsenal for Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. The 24-year old is currently with the England squad at St George’s Park.

It’s thought that large parts of his medical could be carried out at England’s training centre. The clubs are yet to confirm the development but it’s our understanding that an agreement between the two clubs has been reached this afternoon.

The fee is believed to be around £35m.

Good addition for Chelsea. Oxlade-Chamberlain will provide a good alternative to Victor Moses as that side midfielder / wing back role. And can serve as insurance for central midfield and the two wide attackers behind the striker. Capable of playing all roles across midfield and wide or deep forwards. Good utility player.

« Reply #92 on: August 28, 2017, 07:27:00 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
How we get £35 million for Ox is beyond me. But hey, I'll take some good news.

http://www.skysports.com/transfer-centre

BREAKING NEWS

We understand Chelsea have agreed a fee with Arsenal for Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. The 24-year old is currently with the England squad at St George’s Park.

It’s thought that large parts of his medical could be carried out at England’s training centre. The clubs are yet to confirm the development but it’s our understanding that an agreement between the two clubs has been reached this afternoon.

The fee is believed to be around £35m.

Good addition for Chelsea. Oxlade-Chamberlain will provide a good alternative to Victor Moses as that side midfielder / wing back role. And can serve as insurance for central midfield and the two wide attackers behind the striker. Capable of playing all roles across midfield and wide or deep forwards. Good utility player.

I disagree, with all due respect, Who.

The very reason he wants to leave Arsenal is because he didn't want to play Wing Back.

The club offered him a new contract that's worth £150 - £180 K a week in wages. No way he's worth that, and he declined it because he wants to play CM, and Wenger isn't having it.

I don't know how he would like it to be the back up WB at Chelsea, and I don't know how he's going to crack that CM spot over Cesc, Bakayoko and Kante. Unless of course, if the reason he wants to leave is just because he hates Arsenal, it actually doesn't make sense for Ox to move to Chelsea.

But hey, we'll take the £35 million. Here's hoping we roll that and trigger Jean Seri's release clause.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #93 on: August 30, 2017, 01:46:34 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Ox snubbed Chelsea, going to Liverpool.

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/41098529

Liverpool have agreed a £40m deal to sign Arsenal and England midfielder Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain.

The 24-year-old rejected a move to Chelsea on Tuesday after a fee had been agreed.

Oxlade-Chamberlain has started each of Arsenal's four games so far this season despite telling manager Arsene Wenger he would not sign a new contract.

He has made 198 appearances for Arsenal since joining them from Southampton in August 2011.

The fee would have been Liverpool's club record deal, but the Reds have agreed to sign RB Leipzig's Naby Keita next summer for £48m.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 01:57:04 PM by Yoki_IsTheName »

« Reply #94 on: August 30, 2017, 01:54:23 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
So, NBC sports, with Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer, Ian Wright and Danny Murphy picked their All Premier League starting XI.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8o7D3-X-6nc

Their squad.

Peter Schmeichel

Gary Neville - Rio Ferdinand - John Terry - Ashley Cole

Cristiano Ronald0 - Steven Gerrard - Frank Lampard - Ryan Giggs

Alan Shearer - Thierry Henry

It got me interested. Can you build an All Premier League XI that can beat that team? Players that they haven't chosen.

I came up with this. (I went 4-2-3-1)

David Seaman

Branislav Ivanovic - Tony Adams - Sol Campbell - Patrice Evra

Patrick Vieira - Nemanja Matic

David Beckham - Cesc Fabregas - Robert Pires

Luis Suarez

Can my team beat the NBC team? More importantly, who's on your team?

(c'mon, we have one day left on the transfer window, and then international break, this is something to do while we wait)

« Reply #95 on: August 30, 2017, 05:30:40 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
So, NBC sports, with Gary Lineker, Alan Shearer, Ian Wright and Danny Murphy picked their All Premier League starting XI.

Their squad.

Peter Schmeichel

It got me interested. Can you build an All Premier League XI that can beat that team? Players that they haven't chosen.

David Seaman

Luis Suarez

(c'mon, we have one day left on the transfer window, and then international break, this is something to do while we wait)

I'll give it a go.

Gotta have Scholes in there. Best CM to ever play in Premier League.

And Cech in goal. Cech was absolutely incredible at Chelsea before Hunt wrecked his head. Never fully recovered from that. Was still very good afterwards but he was absolutely incredible beforehand. Rivaled Buffon for best GK in the world.

GK - Petr Cech
CM - Paul Scholes

Agreed on Sol Campbell and Patrice Evra. Evra was right up there alongside Ashley Cole as the best LB in the world at their respective peaks.

DC - Sol Campbell
DL - Patrice Evra

I'll go with Vidic as Sol's partner in central defense.
And I want Keane in midfield.

DC - Nemanja Vidic
CM - Roy Keane

Agreed on Luis Suarez and I am gonna put Drogba alongside him. Two consummate team players who give everything they have and create goals both for themselves but also for others. They will help create good team-play in the final 3rd. Both put in a shift defensively too.

CF - Luis Suarez
CF - Didier Drogba

The RB position is a tough one. Not a lot of great choices there. I will go with Lauren here. Very good going forward and good defensively too. Played in midfield and was comfortable on the flank or coming inside. Good skills on the ball and good crosser.

Okay, now how to round out this team. I will go with a 4-3-1-2.

I was wondering about Patrick Vieira or whether to go with someone more attacking since I already have Roy Keane in the team ... but I gotta pick Vieira. The idea of Vieira and Keane together in midfield is mouthwatering.

And for the final pick, so many options as my playmaker. I am going to go with Dennis Bergkamp. Lethal passer in the final 3rd. Brilliant at finding runners. Can add in some goals. Great work-rate and a nasty side to him. I like a bit of a nastiness. He will help out in midfield with some defensive work.

Petr Cech

Lauren - Nemanja Vidic - Sol Campbell - Patrice Evra

Patrick Vieira - Paul Scholes - Roy Keane

Dennis Bergkamp

Luis Suarez - Didier Drogba

Toughest to leave out ...

Zola was the hardest one. I liked his mobility, dribbling and movement over the whole final 3rd over Bergkamp. Just so hard for the defense to pickup. But I went with Bergkamp for his physicality and superior creative passing.

Gareth Bale was real tempting too.

And I only just thought of Makelele. He was freakishly dominant at Chelsea but I didn't want a purely defensive midfield player. I wanted guys who could give more in attack.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2017, 05:37:24 PM by Who »

« Reply #96 on: August 30, 2017, 08:11:57 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Their squad.

Peter Schmeichel

David Seaman

Luis Suarez

I'll give it a go.

And Cech in goal. Cech was absolutely incredible at Chelsea before Hunt wrecked his head. Never fully recovered from that. Was still very good afterwards but he was absolutely incredible beforehand. Rivaled Buffon for best GK in the world.

GK - Petr Cech
CM - Paul Scholes

Agreed on Sol Campbell and Patrice Evra. Evra was right up there alongside Ashley Cole as the best LB in the world at their respective peaks.

DC - Sol Campbell
DL - Patrice Evra

DC - Nemanja Vidic
CM - Roy Keane

Agreed on Luis Suarez and I am gonna put Drogba alongside him. Two consummate team players who give everything they have and create goals both for themselves but also for others. They will help create good team-play in the final 3rd. Both put in a shift defensively too.

CF - Luis Suarez
CF - Didier Drogba

The RB position is a tough one. Not a lot of great choices there. I will go with Lauren here. Very good going forward and good defensively too. Played in midfield and was comfortable on the flank or coming inside. Good skills on the ball and good crosser.

I was wondering about Patrick Vieira or whether to go with someone more attacking since I already have Roy Keane in the team ... but I gotta pick Vieira. The idea of Vieira and Keane together in midfield is mouthwatering.

And for the final pick, so many options as my playmaker. I am going to go with Dennis Bergkamp. Lethal passer in the final 3rd. Brilliant at finding runners. Can add in some goals. Great work-rate and a nasty side to him. I like a bit of a nastiness. He will help out in midfield with some defensive work.

Petr Cech

Dennis Bergkamp

Zola was the hardest one. I liked his mobility, dribbling and movement over the whole final 3rd over Bergkamp. Just so hard for the defense to pickup. But I went with Bergkamp for his physicality and superior creative passing.

And I only just thought of Makelele. He was freakishly dominant at Chelsea but I didn't want a purely defensive midfield player. I wanted guys who could give more in attack.

Love the insight.

I forgot about Paul Scholes. I feel really terrible leaving him out...

« Reply #97 on: August 30, 2017, 09:40:07 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

Their squad.

Peter Schmeichel

David Seaman

Luis Suarez

---------------------De Gea-------------------
Sagna-------Adams----Desailly-------Evra
Beckham----Vieira----Yaya Toure----Bale
--------------------Scholes--------------------
--------------------Suarez---------------------

4-4-1-1 (Becks was more of a right midfielder than a right winger)

Don't know which team would have won, but it would have been one hell of a game, that's for sure.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 06:57:12 AM by Jvalin »

« Reply #98 on: August 31, 2017, 07:10:32 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Liverpool have gotten Oxlade-Chamberlain. He will do great as a box-to-box CM in that Liverpool team. Klopp gives his CMs lots of opportunities to get forward. Ox with his dribbling, athleticism and work-rate should be a hit there.

Disappointed Chelsea have missed out on Ox. Never been too high on him because of his iffy end-product but seeing what Conte has done with a similar player in Moses only makes me think of all the things Conte could've done with Ox as a wing back and utility player. Pity.

Good signing for Liverpool. Sounds like they are quite active on a few other fronts today too.

Big day for Chelsea. They need some more depth in CM and at both wing back spots.

« Reply #99 on: August 31, 2017, 01:27:24 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
I can't believe Brighton, Huddersfield and Watford, among others, are going to outspend Arsenal in a summer transfer window.

I bet there are League 1 teams that would as well.

Good God, what has happened to this club...

« Reply #100 on: September 01, 2017, 12:26:42 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
I can't believe Brighton, Huddersfield and Watford, among others, are going to outspend Arsenal in a summer transfer window.

I bet there are League 1 teams that would as well.

Good God, what has happened to this club...

Stan Kroenke acquired 75% of Arsenal.  The downward spiral will continue for as long as he is calling the shots.  "The fish rots from the head down" as they say! 

« Reply #101 on: September 02, 2017, 10:49:32 AM »

Offline LatterDayCelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 171
  • Community Text

Their squad.

Peter Schmeichel

David Seaman

Luis Suarez

I'll give it a go.

GK - Petr Cech
CM - Paul Scholes

DC - Sol Campbell
DL - Patrice Evra

DC - Nemanja Vidic
CM - Roy Keane

CF - Luis Suarez
CF - Didier Drogba

Petr Cech

Dennis Bergkamp

Love the insight.

I forgot about Paul Scholes. I feel really terrible leaving him out...

I will go with a 4-1-3-2 formation

GK: Peter Schmeichel
Back 4: Gary Neville, Rio Ferdinand, Jaap Staam, Ashley Cole,
Def Sweeper: Roy Keane
Mids: Cristiano Ronaldo, Patrick Vieira, Ryan Giggs
Forwards: Thierry Henry, Alan Shearer

Also very tempted to pick Michael Essien, Ruud van Nistelrooy, and Sol Campbell.
Banner 18 please 😍

« Reply #102 on: September 02, 2017, 12:50:06 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

Their squad.

Peter Schmeichel

David Seaman

Luis Suarez

I'll give it a go.

Petr Cech

Dennis Bergkamp

I will go with a 4-1-3-2 formation

GK: Peter Schmeichel
Back 4: Gary Neville, Rio Ferdinand, Jaap Staam, Ashley Cole,
Def Sweeper: Roy Keane
Mids: Cristiano Ronaldo, Patrick Vieira, Ryan Giggs
Forwards: Thierry Henry, Alan Shearer

Also very tempted to pick Michael Essien, Ruud van Nistelrooy, and Sol Campbell.

---------------------De Gea-------------------
Sagna-------Adams----Desailly-------Evra
Beckham----Vieira----Yaya Toure----Bale
--------------------Scholes--------------------
--------------------Suarez---------------------

4-4-1-1 (Becks was more of a right midfielder than a right winger)

Don't know which team would have won, but it would have been one hell of a game, that's for sure.

That was so much fun the first time ... I am going to give it a 2nd team with all different choices.

And I have to have one with Ruud Van Nistelrooy in it. Best pure goal-scorer the premier league has seen. Needs someone alongside him to link the play though. To keep the team flowing in attack. And nobody has done that better than Eric Cantona. So my front two are:

ST - Ruud Van Nistelrooy
SS - Eric Cantona

I completely forgot about Yaya Toure last time around. I was looking for a more attacking CM to put alongside Scholes and Keane and my mind went blank after Lamps and Gerrard. So Yaya has to be in this team and I am going to put Makelele in there alongside him to look after the defense and give Yaya some freedom to go forward.

I am going to go with a 442 and will use Becks and Pires as my wide players. Beckham with his outstanding delivery, high work-rate and ability to tuck in and give some extra defensive work when Yaya has gone too far forward is perfect for the team. Van Nistelrooy will love Beckham's crosses. I'll take Pires over Giggs. Pires was the better footballer. Giggs was outstanding for the length of time he maintained such high levels but he never reached as high a peak as Pires did. Pires was incredible for that Arsenal team as a roaming playmaker off the flank. He will combine well with Cantona and make sure the team has plenty of creativity and imagination to it's attack.

RM - David Beckham
CM - Claude Makelele
CM - Yaya Toure
LM - Robert Pires

And now 4 new defenders and a new keeper.

Jaap Stam is a super choice. 3 incredible seasons with Man Utd. Three straight league titles and won the treble in his first season at the club. I am going to go with Ricardo Carvalho as his partner in defense. Great composure in defense and could bring the ball out of the back well too. Lee Dixon will be my RB for all his years as a steady player in that legendary back four of Arsenal in the 90s. And Dennis Irwin as my LB. Mr Dependable. The GK will be Edwin van der Sar.

GK - Edwin van der Sar

DR - Lee Dixon
DC - Jaap Stam
DC - Ricardo Carvalho
DL - Dennis Irwin

Van der Sar

Lee Dixon - Jaap Stam - Ricardo Carvalho - Dennis Irwin

David Beckham - Yaya Toure - Claude Makelele - Robert Pires

Eric Cantona - Ruud Van Nistelrooy

« Reply #103 on: October 01, 2017, 06:06:35 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Arsenal has taken over Liverpool above the table.

Ever since we sold them Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, they have been horrendous and we've been on fine form.

Thanks for the £40 million, Liverpool.

« Reply #104 on: October 02, 2017, 01:08:38 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
Arsenal has taken over Liverpool above the table.

Ever since we sold them Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, they have been horrendous and we've been on fine form.

Thanks for the £40 million, Liverpool.

And at City, we've won nine and drawn one since you pulled the plug on the Alexis sale and we are in first place in the table.

Thanks for saving us the £55 million, Arsenal (we can just sign him for free in the summer!).   ;)