Author Topic: 2017-18 EPL Season  (Read 54840 times)

Re: 2017-18 EPL Season
« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2017, 12:48:11 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Marcos Alonso is killing Tottenham right now. What a game he's having.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #76 on: August 21, 2017, 02:06:11 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
Sigh...I want to see Gus Hiddink... :'(
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2017, 08:19:42 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I thought Spurs lacked quality in their wing backs yesterday. They weren't able to stretch the pitch. Wanted to keep coming back into the middle where their creative players were (Eriksen, Alli, Dembele) but Chelsea had locked that down by flooding the central areas.

Tottenham needed to be able to shift the play wide and play down the flanks but their wing backs were too limited going forward. Capable of good delivery when given time and space but lacking in the ball control and dribbling skills to beat their man and create space for themselves. Which meant the ball had to keep coming back into the middle where Chelsea had shut down that area of the pitch.

I also thought Tottenham's side center backs (Dier, Vertonghen) could have offered more in possession. Pushed higher up and wider in possession. Allow the wing backs to venture further forward and stretch Chelsea this way. They didn't look comfortable enough in doing this. Alderweireld is incredible in possession (with his range of passing) in the middle of the defence but I think Tottenham can improve their attacking qualities alongside him. I think Chelsea using Azpilicueta as a CB allows them this. As does Arsenal with Monreal / Kolasinac. Or previously the great Ajax / Barcelona teams with Frank De Boer.

Anyways, I think Tottenham need better quality in their wing backs to reach that next level as an attacking force.

In the meantime, I think teams can get some joy against them by overloading the middle of the pitch like Chelsea did. Newcastle were similarly effective until they had a man sent off in the first match. More teams should do likewise against Tottenham if they stay in that 3-4-2-1. I think they can slow them down with D.Rose still out and K.Walker gone.

« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2017, 09:40:07 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I thought Spurs lacked quality in their wing backs yesterday. They weren't able to stretch the pitch. Wanted to keep coming back into the middle where their creative players were (Eriksen, Alli, Dembele) but Chelsea had locked that down by flooding the central areas.

Tottenham needed to be able to shift the play wide and play down the flanks but their wing backs were too limited going forward. Capable of good delivery when given time and space but lacking in the ball control and dribbling skills to beat their man and create space for themselves. Which meant the ball had to keep coming back into the middle where Chelsea had shut down that area of the pitch.

I also thought Tottenham's side center backs (Dier, Vertonghen) could have offered more in possession. Pushed higher up and wider in possession. Allow the wing backs to venture further forward and stretch Chelsea this way. They didn't look comfortable enough in doing this. Alderweireld is incredible in possession (with his range of passing) in the middle of the defence but I think Tottenham can improve their attacking qualities alongside him. I think Chelsea using Azpilicueta as a CB allows them this. As does Arsenal with Monreal / Kolasinac. Or previously the great Ajax / Barcelona teams with Frank De Boer.

Anyways, I think Tottenham need better quality in their wing backs to reach that next level as an attacking force.

In the meantime, I think teams can get some joy against them by overloading the middle of the pitch like Chelsea did.
Newcastle were similarly effective until they had a man sent off in the first match. More teams should do likewise against Tottenham if they stay in that 3-4-2-1. I think they can slow them down with D.Rose still out and K.Walker gone.
And I think teams get some joy by overcrowding the midfield against Chelsea as well, look at the United vs Chelsea match where we used a 3-5-2 and a 3-6-1 formation against them and went away with a 2-0 win where Chelsea couldn't even get a shot on target and only shot like 3 shots. In fact I think Conte learnt this from Mou lol.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #79 on: August 26, 2017, 07:09:53 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Mauricio Pochettino says Davinson Sánchez has the talent and strength of character to develop into “one of the best centre-backs in the world”. The Tottenham Hotspur manager took the 21-year-old Colombian from Ajax for a club record £42m this week and he was relieved that a more financially powerful club had not tried to hijack the deal.

Pochettino described Sánchez as the perfect fit for his style at Tottenham, which involves a high defensive line – something he got used to during his single season at Ajax under Peter Bosz. Sánchez has the pace to be confident about leaving spaces in behind him.

“He has an amazing history and background,” Pochettino said. “He is so aggressive, so fast and he loves to play with risk at his back. It’s a massive opportunity because we believe he will be one of the best centre-backs in the world.”

Couldn't agree more = D.Sanchez is awesome and can be one of the top CBs in the world.

Great signing for Tottenham.

Aurier will sign for €25m (£23m) if he can resolve the issues that relate to his convertible two-month prison sentence.The 24-year-old Ivory Coast international has appealed against the punishment – which was suspended – and given to him last year, after he allegedly assaulted a police officer outside a nightclub in Paris. Convertible sentences mean the offender is more likely to do community service and pay a heavier fine.

Tottenham have agreed terms on the move for Aurier with both him and PSG. The final obstacle involves the Home Office giving Aurier the necessary clearance to enter the United Kingdom. The defender missed a Champions League game at Arsenal last season because he was not allowed into the country.

Big fan of Aurier too. Great replacement for Kyle Walker.

To be honest, I'd rather have Aurier than Walker. Better crosser of the ball. I think he'd be an upgrade for Tottenham.

Spurs doing excellent business to close the window.

They might get Ross Barkley too if Barkley lowers his wage demands. Barkley would be superb in Pochettino's tactics with his physicality and athleticism in midfield.

« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2017, 02:58:25 AM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Mauricio Pochettino says Davinson Sánchez has the talent and strength of character to develop into “one of the best centre-backs in the world”. The Tottenham Hotspur manager took the 21-year-old Colombian from Ajax for a club record £42m this week and he was relieved that a more financially powerful club had not tried to hijack the deal.

Pochettino described Sánchez as the perfect fit for his style at Tottenham, which involves a high defensive line – something he got used to during his single season at Ajax under Peter Bosz. Sánchez has the pace to be confident about leaving spaces in behind him.

“He has an amazing history and background,” Pochettino said. “He is so aggressive, so fast and he loves to play with risk at his back. It’s a massive opportunity because we believe he will be one of the best centre-backs in the world.”

Couldn't agree more = D.Sanchez is awesome and can be one of the top CBs in the world.

Great signing for Tottenham.

Aurier will sign for €25m (£23m) if he can resolve the issues that relate to his convertible two-month prison sentence.The 24-year-old Ivory Coast international has appealed against the punishment – which was suspended – and given to him last year, after he allegedly assaulted a police officer outside a nightclub in Paris. Convertible sentences mean the offender is more likely to do community service and pay a heavier fine.

Tottenham have agreed terms on the move for Aurier with both him and PSG. The final obstacle involves the Home Office giving Aurier the necessary clearance to enter the United Kingdom. The defender missed a Champions League game at Arsenal last season because he was not allowed into the country.

Big fan of Aurier too. Great replacement for Kyle Walker.

To be honest, I'd rather have Aurier than Walker. Better crosser of the ball. I think he'd be an upgrade for Tottenham.

Spurs doing excellent business to close the window.

They might get Ross Barkley too if Barkley lowers his wage demands. Barkley would be superb in Pochettino's tactics with his physicality and athleticism in midfield.

Here's a link for you about Aurier:

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/features/tottenham-target-serge-aurier-a-fine-footballer-a-troubling-background

« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2017, 03:10:44 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
United still GOATing, love how we still kept on attacking until we finally got the goal.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2017, 06:33:15 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Players being played out of position. No passions whatsoever. Bought a £50 million striker and brought in the best Left Back in the Bundesliga last year and have them sit on the bench. Questionable substitutions.

Huddersfield spent more money than we did. . . Bloody Huddersfield!

Arsene Wenger has lost it. And his demented brain is going to be in charge for the next two year.

I can't take this anymore.

« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2017, 07:15:10 PM »

Offline Sixth Man

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 82
Players being played out of position. No passions whatsoever. Bought a £50 million striker and brought in the best Left Back in the Bundesliga last year and have them sit on the bench. Questionable substitutions.

Arsene Wenger has lost it. And his demented brain is going to be in charge for the next two year.

If you lot need £££, you're welcome to sell us Alexis! 

« Reply #84 on: August 28, 2017, 10:42:01 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

I hope to God we do. Alexis deserves better than this incompetent football club.

I really want Ozil, Alexis and Ox to be sold. Ozil and Alexis so they could go to better clubs because they deserve it. Ox because he's just stupid.

We will lose two of our best players, two guys that makes Arsenal an attractive team to come to, but we lose the uncertainty as well. I think all the contract talks are taking a toll with this squad. We lose that, we can focus on games.

If we made the Champions League having Chamakh, Bendtner, Arshavin, Denilson, Rosicky, and Alex Song in our squad, we can do it with Lacazette, Ramsey, Walcott, Giroud, Xhaka, (I think).

Maybe we can buy Riyad Mahrez from the money we get from the three sold players. We may never land a world class player in the next decade, but selling Ozil and Alexis could set us up for a full rebuild. I'd rather have that right now to be honest.

Arsenal is such a mess.

« Reply #85 on: August 28, 2017, 11:00:25 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279

If we made the Champions League having Chamakh, Bendtner, Arshavin, Denilson, Rosicky, and Alex Song in our squad, we can do it with Lacazette, Ramsey, Walcott, Giroud, Xhaka, (I think).

It's PL so everything is possible but i highly doubt it. The competition for CL spots is much higher today.

« Reply #86 on: August 28, 2017, 11:32:03 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

It's PL so everything is possible but i highly doubt it. The competition for CL spots is much higher today.

We can win the Europa League? ;-)

« Reply #87 on: August 28, 2017, 11:56:51 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

I hope to God we do. Alexis deserves better than this incompetent football club.

I really want Ozil, Alexis and Ox to be sold. Ozil and Alexis so they could go to better clubs because they deserve it. Ox because he's just stupid.

We will lose two of our best players, two guys that makes Arsenal an attractive team to come to, but we lose the uncertainty as well. I think all the contract talks are taking a toll with this squad. We lose that, we can focus on games.

Maybe we can buy Riyad Mahrez from the money we get from the three sold players. We may never land a world class player in the next decade, but selling Ozil and Alexis could set us up for a full rebuild. I'd rather have that right now to be honest.

Arsenal is such a mess.
Well Huddersfield is 3rd on the table with convincing play :laugh:. For Alexis I think you should sell him to City ASAP for 70 million pounds, you need the money to fund possible signings like Draxler and the 21 year old guy in Monaco. For Ozil...I really don't rate him highly, he isn't a real game changer for PL teams imo, dude goes invisible often, just sell him to a team willing to pay 35+ million. For Ox I think you should keep him as a young piece to pair with Draxler/Monaco guy as the w.ings. Arsenal is in a good position, I think Wenger was just a bit conservative. Believe in him. I think after selling those guys you should just throw 40+ million for a talented CB, there's a lot of promising youngsters on the market.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2017, 12:09:03 PM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #88 on: August 28, 2017, 12:10:20 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
How we get £35 million for Ox is beyond me. But hey, I'll take some good news.

http://www.skysports.com/transfer-centre

BREAKING NEWS

We understand Chelsea have agreed a fee with Arsenal for Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain. The 24-year old is currently with the England squad at St George’s Park.

It’s thought that large parts of his medical could be carried out at England’s training centre. The clubs are yet to confirm the development but it’s our understanding that an agreement between the two clubs has been reached this afternoon.

The fee is believed to be around £35m.

« Reply #89 on: August 28, 2017, 12:35:56 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

Arsenal is such a mess.
Well Huddersfield is 3rd on the table with convincing play :laugh:. For Alexis I think you should sell him to City ASAP for 70 million pounds, you need the money to fund possible signings like Draxler and the 21 year old guy in Monaco. For Ozil...I really don't rate him highly, he isn't a real game changer for PL teams imo, dude goes invisible often, just sell him to a team willing to pay 35+ million. For Ox I think you should keep him as a young piece to pair with Draxler/Monaco guy as the w.ings. Arsenal is in a good position, I think Wenger was just a bit conservative. Believe in him. I think after selling those guys you should just throw 40+ million for a talented CB, there's a lot of promising youngsters on the market.

I'm reading £70 million AND Jason Denayer. I'd take it.

Ox has already been sold. Good.

Ozil, I maybe on the camp of a few where we think he's still world class. He has been on the top of the PL as far as creating chances. If Lead Foot Welbeck and Giroud were making half of those chances they missed, we're talking about a few more assists. I won't sell him unless he rejects a new deal, which we should be negotiating NOW. Need an answer before the window closes, if he declines, sell him to Dortmund.

As far as bringing in Draxler, I don't know if he would want to come to this freak show, but Riyad Mahrez will. I'd rather have Mahrez in a sense that that business could be done quicker and easier than Draxler. Not saying we shouldn't be trying though.

Still need a CDM and another defender. Will Virgil Van Dijk play for Arsenal? Would be nice. Steven N'Zonzi has a very reasonable release clause. Get him.

Lacazette
Ozil/Ramsey Mahrez
Xhaka N'zonzi
Kolasinac Bellerin at WB
Koscielny Van Dijk whoever we put here

Cech

That may not be winning the PL, but that's a fun, solid squad that could challenge the top 4. And once we have UCL football back, we can THEN attract better players again.

But yes, it all starts from selling Alexis, something we SHOULD do.