Author Topic: 2017-18 EPL Season  (Read 54838 times)

Re: 2017-18 EPL Season
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2017, 11:41:30 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
And Cesc Fabregas got two yellows. Chelsea down to 9 men.

Good Lord, what a start to your title defense, eh?
Defense? Do they even have defense? 8)

I won't go there just yet, two of their 3 goals were really tough goals. The 2nd one, yep, that was a lapse on the defence.
Well obviously they are still a good team, but with Cahill out for a few games what I'm hoping for is a horrible start for Chelsea, after all I want to see my old friend Gus Hiddink again 8).
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2017, 10:08:45 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
Tottenham and the 2nd tier Manchester team overtaking Arsenal at the top of the table :laugh:
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 10:34:55 AM by Somebody »
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #32 on: August 13, 2017, 11:55:01 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Tottenham and the 2nd tier Manchester team overtaking Arsenal at the top of the table :laugh:

And we are all below Huddersfield.

We need to recognize.

Beautiful counter attack by United by the way. Matic superb in breaking thru West Ham's link up, Rashford with the beauty of a through ball and Lukaku with the finish.

Matic is going to be the best buy of the PL, I really think so...
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2017, 12:14:34 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Man Utd have dominated West Ham. Matic has been immense. Lukaku the new Van Nistlerooy.

West Ham haven't looked good at all. Their midfield is a mess. Obiang and Noble continue to struggle as a double pivot for West Ham. I have seen that many of their fans want a 3rd CM in there alongside them and it is easy to see why on today's performance. Completely overrun in midfield.

« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2017, 12:37:05 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
I'm really sad about Martial not playing, he has immense potential and I think Mou really needs to give him a chance to deliver.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2017, 12:45:34 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Man Utd have dominated West Ham. Matic has been immense. Lukaku the new Van Nistlerooy.

West Ham haven't looked good at all. Their midfield is a mess. Obiang and Noble continue to struggle as a double pivot for West Ham. I have seen that many of their fans want a 3rd CM in there alongside them and it is easy to see why on today's performance. Completely overrun in midfield.

Yep. That midfield could not bring that ball up to their attacking third to save their lives. It could just be because of Matic dominating, but indeed, that midfield needs work.

Jack Wilshere's time in Arsenal is questionable, this is a guy West Ham should try and get.

« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2017, 12:47:38 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
MARTIAL GOATING!!! KEEP HIM IN MOU! Number one baby!
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2017, 07:42:55 PM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Newbie here...is EPL the best league in the world?

« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2017, 08:24:59 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

As far as competition, I would say yes.

The top teams in the EPL does not compare to the top teams in entire Europe, and it doesn't have the two top players in the world, but they have a very strong league altogether, as there's always about 6-7 teams that could win the title every season, and there are a few more mid-table teams that can surprise.

Compare to the other leagues, that has the Barcelona, Real Madrid, PSG, Juventus or Bayern Munich, those are the best teams in all of Europe, but their mid table teams are really, well, not good. It's always the same teams on top, and there's not a lot of competition being offered by the bottom teams, unlike the PL where a really good team could miss out on an important top 4 finish. Just this week, a bottom dwelling team, a team that could be poised for relegation just beat the (albeit incomplete) defending champions. There's also a team that managed to salvage a draw vs Liverpool, one of the top 6 teams in the PL. That thing rarely happens in other leagues

So, long story short, it doesn't have the best teams in all of Europe, but all around it has the best competition.

« Reply #39 on: August 13, 2017, 11:49:55 PM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

The top teams in the EPL does not compare to the top teams in entire Europe, and it doesn't have the two top players in the world, but they have a very strong league altogether, as there's always about 6-7 teams that could win the title every season, and there are a few more mid-table teams that can surprise.

Compare to the other leagues, that has the Barcelona, Real Madrid, PSG, Juventus or Bayern Munich, those are the best teams in all of Europe, but their mid table teams are really, well, not good. It's always the same teams on top, and there's not a lot of competition being offered by the bottom teams, unlike the PL where a really good team could miss out on an important top 4 finish. Just this week, a bottom dwelling team, a team that could be poised for relegation just beat the (albeit incomplete) defending champions. There's also a team that managed to salvage a draw vs Liverpool, one of the top 6 teams in the PL. That thing rarely happens in other leagues

So, long story short, it doesn't have the best teams in all of Europe, but all around it has the best competition.
To elaborate further on quality, the PL's top teams are now very much in the mix for the best teams in the world with Barca selling Neymar to Paris-Saint Germain with the PL also buying a lot of quality players with huge money. So I'd say the PL has close to top quality while fielding top competition. Also, PL teams have the huge advantage of being able to play a traditional english style which many teams in other leagues have difficulties with, Arsenal losing to Bayern 10-2 in 2 matches are an anomaly instead of the norm. Also The One what's your favourite PL team?
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2017, 12:00:26 AM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.

To elaborate further on quality, the PL's top teams are now very much in the mix for the best teams in the world with Barca selling Neymar to Paris-Saint Germain with the PL also buying a lot of quality players with huge money. So I'd say the PL has close to top quality while fielding top competition. Also, PL teams have the huge advantage of being able to play a traditional english style which many teams in other leagues have difficulties with, Arsenal losing to Bayern 10-2 in 2 matches are an anomaly instead of the norm. Also The One what's your favourite PL team?

Yah had to take a shot at us, don't ya?  ;)

« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2017, 02:20:35 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald

Yah had to take a shot at us, don't ya?  ;)
Of course my man, that was really bad, you could've used the traditional English style to just pass their whole midfield.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2017, 07:50:08 AM »

Offline The One

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

Newbie again...what's a traditional english style?

« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2017, 08:20:52 AM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544

Newbie again...what's a traditional english style?

In a single word: garbage.

English play style has no use for midfielders because they rather just have the defensive backs kick the ball 70 yards up the field straight to the attacking players. Of course this never works at the International level, thus why England always disappoints in tournaments. It's a very rudimentary play style with no imagination. Not every team in the EPL plays this way, and the best teams obviously do have good midfielders and try to avoid this play style as much as possible though.

Funny thing is, the EPL up until recently was no different than any of the other European leagues, they had a couple of powerhouses and a bunch of fodder. With all the new TV deals the EPL was able to secure with American cable networks that changed, pretty much every team has money now. But I hate the way they play football in that league and refuse to watch that Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline. league.

« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2017, 08:49:07 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
Tottenham nearing a club record deal for Davinson Sanchez from Ajax.  Could be an awesome back 3 with Jan, Toby and him.  Rest of the league spending on attackers Tottenham should have by far he beat defense in a not great defensive league.  Levy playing chess
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16