Author Topic: Celtics draft picks this decade  (Read 9606 times)

Re: Celtics draft picks this decade
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2017, 03:43:29 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I don't think KO has outperformed his draft slot at all.  I think in a redraft he goes right around the same range if not a little worse (some of it is preference of course, but that draft while lacking top end talent aside from Giannis and maybe Gobert was pretty darn deep and even had the undrafted Covington and Dellavedova in it). 

I don't think Smart goes 6 in a redraft either (Wiggins, Embiid, Jokic, Hood, Harris, Parker, Gordon, and Randle all likely go ahead of him and that doesn't account for LaVine, Capela, or Payton who all might as well). 

Sullinger isn't even in the league anymore, and while he played very well for his draft slot while on the Celtics, Ainge got nothing for him when he left so it wasn't a salvageable draft pick (like say Fab Melo was). 

It is personal preference but some of those are bogus. Choosing Hood, Parker, Gordon and Harris over Smart is simply bias. Parker has spent most of his career injured, Gordon has worse stats than Smart without any of the defense, Hood and Harris whilst competent are not the difference makers Smart is.

We got Horford using the cap space from renouncing Sullinger, that's not nothing. Just as renouncing KO to get Hayward is not nothing.

Finding 12 players to draft ahead of KO is not likely. Covington is not better than KO, nor is Delladova. You can hide behind preference if you want but stats don't back it up.

« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2017, 04:10:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't think KO has outperformed his draft slot at all.  I think in a redraft he goes right around the same range if not a little worse (some of it is preference of course, but that draft while lacking top end talent aside from Giannis and maybe Gobert was pretty darn deep and even had the undrafted Covington and Dellavedova in it). 

I don't think Smart goes 6 in a redraft either (Wiggins, Embiid, Jokic, Hood, Harris, Parker, Gordon, and Randle all likely go ahead of him and that doesn't account for LaVine, Capela, or Payton who all might as well). 

Sullinger isn't even in the league anymore, and while he played very well for his draft slot while on the Celtics, Ainge got nothing for him when he left so it wasn't a salvageable draft pick (like say Fab Melo was). 

It is personal preference but some of those are bogus. Choosing Hood, Parker, Gordon and Harris over Smart is simply bias. Parker has spent most of his career injured, Gordon has worse stats than Smart without any of the defense, Hood and Harris whilst competent are not the difference makers Smart is.

We got Horford using the cap space from renouncing Sullinger, that's not nothing. Just as renouncing KO to get Hayward is not nothing.

Finding 12 players to draft ahead of KO is not likely. Covington is not better than KO, nor is Delladova. You can hide behind preference if you want but stats don't back it up.
We actually had had plenty of space to sign Horford without letting go of Sully. Horford was signed on the 8th of July while the qualifying offer for Sullinger wasn't renounced until July 11th. Sully was let go with no return.

« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2017, 04:33:12 PM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell

We actually had had plenty of space to sign Horford without letting go of Sully. Horford was signed on the 8th of July while the qualifying offer for Sullinger wasn't renounced until July 11th. Sully was let go with no return.
I don't believe that is true. To make the space for both Horford and Durant we would have needed to waive Sully, Zeller, Amir and Jonas. When Durant went to GS we kept Amir and Jonas which meant one of Zeller or Sully needed to be waived. The moratorium ended on the 10th so it makes sense that the Cs only waived Sully on the 11th.

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2017, 04:42:43 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
TP to Nick for the nice thread topic.

For perspective I've put those picks in context by listing the three guys taken after the one Ainge took. These are the best comps in terms of what other GMs valued in the same draft, at the same slot.

Avery Bradley (James Anderson, Elliot Williams, Craig Brackins)
Luke Harangody (Pape Sy, Willie Warren, Jeremy Evans)

JaJuan Johnson (Norris Cole, Cory Joseph, Jimmy Butler)
E'Twaun Moore (Chukwudiebere Maduabum, Targuy Ngombo, Ater Majok)

Jared Sullinger (John Jenkins, Jared Cunningham, Tony Wroten)
Fab Melo (John Jenkins, Jared Cunningham, Tony Wroten)
Kris Joseph (Ognjen Kuzmic, Furkan Aldemir, Tornike Shengalia)

Kelly Olynyk (Shabazz Muhammed, Giannis, Lucas Noguiera)
Colton Iverson (Arsalan Kazemi, Joffrey Lauvergne, Peyton Siva)

Marcus Smart (Julius Randle, Nik Stauskas, Noah Vonleh)
James Young (Tyler Ennis, Gary Harris, Bruno Caboclo)

Terry Rozier (Rashad Vaughn, Sam Dekker, Jerian Grant)
R J Hunter (Chris McCullough, Kevon Looney, Cedi Osman)
Jordan Mickey (Anthony Brown, Willy Hernanogomez, Rakeem Christmas)
Marcus Thornton (Norman Powell, Arturas Gudaitas, Dakari Johnson)

Jaylen Brown (Dragan Bender, Kris Dunn, Buddy Hield)
Guerschon Yabusele (Wade Baldwin, Henry Ellenson, Malik Beasley)
Ante Zizic (Timothe Luwawu, Brice Johnson, Furkan Korkmaz)
Demetrius Jackson (AJ Hammons, Jake Layman, Paul Zipser)

I think the best apples-to-apples comparison is to ask how often Ainge ended up with the best player in the group ("Win"), how many times he ended up missing on someone "(Loss)", and how many times it was a tossup ("Draw").

I suspect that opinions will vary there based on everyone's perceptions and biases, so I won't show my own personal evaluation. But I can say that based on my personal evaluation Ainge has won these picks at about on average rate.

It is fair to say however that his two big losses (Butler and Giannis) are far more substantial than his clear wins (like Bradley).

On the flip side, I think that if you look at the best picks he's had (Brown and Smart), those are certainly not losses and could in fact end up being clear wins in both cases.
I find the better way to judge a draft is if you did a re-draft where would the player Ainge selected be drafted in that redo (need to give it at least 3 seasons I think).  Ainge comes out very average if you do it that way.

Does he? Looking from 2010-14, only 2011 seems to be a down year for Ainge. Bradley has outperformed his draft slot, as have KO and Smart and Sully outperformed his slot in his time in Boston which is all we should care about.

Where Ainge has fallen down is picking the unicorn players like Giannis. As was said at the time though, that was a very risky pick by the Bucks that could very very easily have gone the other way. Giannis could have been another PJIII.

In another year, 2015 could be considered a down year too, although that is more due to the lack of opportunity Rozier has had in his time in the league.
What exactly was the risk in Ainge picking Giannis? Missing out on KO?
Probably the fact he had very little actual talent at the time and was stick thin. He didn't come into the league as the next big thing, he came in as a complete unknown. The Bucks (and many internet fans) went for him because he had  huge metrics. The theory was if you could teach him how to play basketball he could become great, that has been tried with many players and does not have a high success rate.
Given the circumstances around the draft I can understand the rationale for taking a flier on him but I can also understand the reluctance.
It was an extremely weak draft, if people knew what he was going to become he would have gone #1. It's fairly clear that noone knew, just like noone knew Jimmy Butler or Draymond Green would turn out the way they did.

Yeah, let's face it, the outliers are pure luck. Is Chicago's management considered stellar? Just the opposite. Ainge has done so well on trades and average on picks, that is his record. So far.

« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2017, 05:21:52 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
- if not for the cap shortfall, AB would probably still be with the team this season.  he wouldn't have needed to be traded to fit Hayward.
Not necessarily true. IT-AB-Smart are all entering their contract year. It would have been highly unlikely to resign all 3 of them (much less since we signed Hayward).

Assuming that
- AB would still be the odd man out
- we weren't willing to just let him walk

...only difference would have been that Danny would have had more time available to test the market for AB.
my point was that AB wouldn't have needed to be traded.  also, AB wouldn't necessarily be the odd man out if he was kept.  I could very well picture Crowder coming off the bench, not AB.
The thing is, we would have still had to trade one of AB-IT-Smart (most likely one of AB-IT).

If we had kept all 3 of them (plus Hayward obviously), the luxury tax would have been ridiculous.

1. Hayward $31,214,295
2.Thomas $30+ million (??)
3. Horford $28,928,710
4. Bradley $20+ million (??)
5. Smart let's say $11 million (??)
6. Crowder $7,305,825
7. Tatum $6,700,800
8. Brown $5,169,960
9. Rozier $3,050,389
10. Yabu $2,667,600
11. Zizic $1,952,760
12. Nader $1,378,242
13. Semi ~$1.3 million (assuming he signs for the minimum)
14. Theis ~$1.3 million
15. Nets 2018 pick let's say ~$6 million (??)
Jackson $92,857

Total ~158 million

(I'm not even including the Lakers(?)-Celtics pick(s))

Highest payroll in the league right now is $133,248,620 (Cleveland). No way Wyc would have agreed to such a plan (meaning he would then have to pay the tax). Just no way.

Chances are that AB would have been the odd man out. Crowder is on a bargain contract for 3 more years.
but that's next year.  not this year.

again, AB didn't need to be traded for this coming season had the cap not had an unexpected drop due to lost playoff revenue. 

Adding Hayward to this team while keeping AB as the defensive player he is would have made us a very tough match for Cleveland in the sense that with Hayward's playmaking skills and scoring, he could be out there with both AB and Smart in the backcourt which would help stifle Kyrie (pre-trade demand Kyrie) and JR Smith. 

Hayward would also make Lebron work on D much more than what he did having to cover Crowder.  Having either Baynes or Zizic on the floor with Horford should improve the rebounding by having bigger, more solid bodies to block out Thompson and Love.

I'd happily roll into the playoffs with that roster to see how Cleveland dealt with it.  should we get to the finals, that same line-up would be quite possibly the best defense GSW's backcourt would have to deal with.  If we lost AB for nothing after that but made the finals, I could live with that.  Getting Morris for AB just seems like a bit of a step back to me.
Agreed. My point is that letting AB walk would have been an even bigger step back. Hence, I bet we would have traded him regardless of the cap shortfall. To put it another way, unless we were willing to let Bradley walk, we would have had to trade him this year. So realistically speaking, Bradley needed to be traded.

« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2017, 05:33:45 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 873
Getting Morris for AB just seems like a bit of a step back to me.

So many moving parts, it is hard to look at this in isolation.  How about you think of it as:

Bradley + Olynyk
for
Hayward + Morris

Do you like that any better?

« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2017, 05:58:14 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1213

I don't believe that is true. To make the space for both Horford and Durant we would have needed to waive Sully, Zeller, Amir and Jonas. When Durant went to GS we kept Amir and Jonas which meant one of Zeller or Sully needed to be waived. The moratorium ended on the 10th so it makes sense that the Cs only waived Sully on the 11th.

We needed to get rid of either Sully or Zeller, it seems like Zeller was the only one willing to do the 1+1 deal that Ainge likes, while Sully was looking for either longer term security (not gonna happen, plus it would have cut into our cap space this season) or a 1 year "prove it" deal like he signed in Toronto
I'm bitter.

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2017, 06:16:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

If it is untrue then how did we sign Horford before pulling Sullinger's qualifying offer off the table and renouncing him. Obviously Sully still was on the salary cap as of that signing.

« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2017, 07:26:15 PM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Pretty solid run of picking NBA players. Mostly role players, but Brown and Tatum could have star upside. Not bad at all.

Not too many gambles on upside lately. Could this be a CBS effect? No Gerald Green/Al Jefferson types I mean, trying to find a star in the middle of the draft.

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2017, 07:28:31 PM »

Offline mctyson

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 372
So has it been a successful 2010's decade of drafting for Ainge?

Can you please also list the draft slots each player was taken at, the expectations for the average player selected at that spot, the redo your post?

Because otherwise it is impossible to rate it.

« Reply #40 on: August 09, 2017, 02:30:49 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
If it is untrue then how did we sign Horford before pulling Sullinger's qualifying offer off the table and renouncing him. Obviously Sully still was on the salary cap as of that signing.
Because the moratorium only lifted on the 11th. Anything signed before that didn't come into effect until then.

« Reply #41 on: August 09, 2017, 08:32:18 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2973
Getting Morris for AB just seems like a bit of a step back to me.

So many moving parts, it is hard to look at this in isolation.  How about you think of it as:

Bradley + Olynyk
for
Hayward + Morris

Do you like that any better?

Hayward and Morris ......saved me from an ulcer of max contract Bradley and another year  Femlynk

« Reply #42 on: August 09, 2017, 08:58:25 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Pretty solid run of picking NBA players. Mostly role players, but Brown and Tatum could have star upside. Not bad at all.

Not too many gambles on upside lately. Could this be a CBS effect? No Gerald Green/Al Jefferson types I mean, trying to find a star in the middle of the draft.

I think Rozier was very much an upside gamble, as was Yabusele.  And James Young.

« Reply #43 on: August 09, 2017, 09:42:41 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065

Can you please also list the draft slots each player was taken at, the expectations for the average player selected at that spot, the redo your post?

You could go and look that stuff up yourself and then post it to help everyone else out.

I should know because I pretty much did it in two posts earlier in the thread. But if you're not inclined to do that you could look at my posts, which requires only that you read the thread before posting in it.

« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2017, 10:21:47 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

You could go and look that stuff up yourself and then post it to help everyone else out.

I should know because I pretty much did it in two posts earlier in the thread. But if you're not inclined to do that you could look at my posts, which requires only that you read the thread before posting in it.
TP Boris. I was going to write something similar, though probably less tactful.