Author Topic: IT: "had a growth spurt this summer. First one in my life"  (Read 6918 times)

Re: IT: "had a growth spurt this summer. First one in my life"
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 11:03:06 AM »

Offline CelticSince83

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 42
Thank God. No chance I'll give a max to a player that isnt AT LEAST 5'10
Well, Thomas has  been 5'10 through most of his playing career, so it seems like your wish has been granted.

No, he's been listed at 5'10" but is shorter, similar to how KG was listed at 6'11" but was actually 7'.
False. He was actually physically measured at 5'10+ multiple times.

His situation is not even remotely similar to Garnett's, who came into the league years before draft combine measurements started being made publicly available on the Internet. With those guys, you were at the mercy of whatever the team decided to put in their media guide.

Wearing clogs.  He's never sniffed 5'10 barefoot.  By his own admission he is 5'8. 

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2017, 11:09:48 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Well, Thomas has  been 5'10 through most of his playing career, so it seems like your wish has been granted.

No, he's been listed at 5'10" but is shorter, similar to how KG was listed at 6'11" but was actually 7'.

His situation is not even remotely similar to Garnett's, who came into the league years before draft combine measurements started being made publicly available on the Internet. With those guys, you were at the mercy of whatever the team decided to put in their media guide.

Koz, I've stood next to him and unless he shrunk, he's not 5'10". My best guess is 5'8".

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2017, 11:10:46 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

Wearing clogs.  He's never sniffed 5'10 barefoot.  By his own admission he is 5'8.
False again.

He measured 5'8 3/4 barefoot at the NBA Combine 1.25-1.5" for shoes is completely reasonable.

Nobody cares whether he has sniffed 5'10 barefoot, because conventionally NBA measurements are discussed with shoes on.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 11:12:58 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Koz, I've stood next to him and unless he shrunk, he's not 5'10". My best guess is 5'8".
I don't know what to tell you. I guess we'll have to agree that he managed to convince both the NBA and the New Jersey Nets to lie about his measurements.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 11:19:26 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

I guess we'll have to agree that he managed to convince both the NBA and the New Jersey Nets to lie about his measurements.

Again, I've stood next to him. The guy was literally about a foot away from me. It's funny how you change who or what you listen to in order fit your narrative. For example, I've seen you be really dismissive about Smart's listed height, even though these are the same measurements you use to now solidify Thomas' height.

BTW...Smart is a legit 6'3"-6'4"

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2017, 12:01:02 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

I guess we'll have to agree that he managed to convince both the NBA and the New Jersey Nets to lie about his measurements.

Again, I've stood next to him. The guy was literally about a foot away from me. It's funny how you change who or what you listen to in order fit your narrative. For example, I've seen you be really dismissive about Smart's listed height, even though these are the same measurements you use to now solidify Thomas' height.

But did you look down to see if he was wearing shoes? ;)

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2017, 12:10:20 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

As I said, I don't know what to tell you. The guy stood next to a measuring stick and someone who was on the league payroll took the number. It came back at 5'10 1/4. I guess they're lying.

Don't know what discussion you're referring to about Smart. He's not 6'4 unless you add 2" for shoes, which is way too much. So solid 6'3. I was under the impression that he was measured 6'2 in shoes, but that was a while ago and obviously didn't stand an empirical check.

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2017, 06:18:16 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

I'm sure you believe what you believe concerning your experiences.

But why should we believe your assessment of Thomas' height (done purely by eyeball without even pulling out a measuring tape -- or did you?) rather than the official measurements taken in public view at the NBA Draft Combine?

NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2017, 06:32:51 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

But why should we believe your assessment of Thomas' height (done purely by eyeball without even pulling out a measuring tape -- or did you?) rather than the official measurements taken in public view at the NBA Draft Combine?

So would you believe Isaiah Thomas on his own height?

In discussing the fans’ relationships with Celtics players, Thomas — one of a handful of NBA All-Stars in history under 6 feet — admits he’s even shorter than his listing lets on:

I’m a little guy — I’m only five-foot-eight — so unless you’re a huge basketball fan, you’re probably not going to recognize me around town. I’m not like Jared Sullinger ducking into the doorway of a restaurant. I blend in.

Sports stars can have a tendency to fudge the numbers a bit when it comes to their height and weight listings.

“They lie,” Charles Barkley once bluntly told The New York Times. “I’ve been measured at 6-5, 6-4 ¾. But I started in college at 6-6.”

But Thomas is telling it like it is. And he’s seemingly been consistent: He gave the 5-foot-8-inch figure in a 2012 TV interview, too.

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2017, 06:39:43 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1391
This is really weird stuff to have an argument over.

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2017, 06:51:47 PM »

Offline mmmmm

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 862

So would you believe Isaiah Thomas on his own height?

Frankly, no.   Thomas has made his whole career -- indeed, his whole life story -- about overcoming being underestimated.   He feeds into this all the time.

There was a post-game interview this last year where Avery Bradley started to go on about how good of defense Isaiah had played in that game and Isaiah stopped him and made sure everyone had it on record that he's the worst defender in the NBA.  That he was "good" if people thought that.

Ultimately, players can have agendas for pumping up or down-playing their height.  KG famously always said he was shorter than everyone believed him to be, ostensibly because he didn't want to play center.

But the measuring scale at the combine and the staffers dutifully measuring each player and entering the data -- all in plain view of public witnesses -- don't have any such agenda.   Not that they are perfect.  Humans sometimes make errors.   But that seems dubious.

There are 4 separate published measurements of Thomas all taken at various events from 2009-2011.   Not one of them has him less than 5' 9.5" with shoes.  And that was the 2009 measurement.  All three separate 2011 measurements have him between 5' 10.25" - 5' 11" (with shoes).

Why should I believe those are not more accurate than you, an anonymous blogger, who "stood next to him" one time and can "just tell" that he's 2-3 inches shorter than that?
NBA Officiating - Corrupt?  Incompetent?  Which is worse?  Does it matter?  It sucks.

« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2017, 07:28:44 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
Oh for Edited.  Profanity and masked profanity are against forum rules and may result in discipline.s sake do you prats need to argue about this? You're both right.

He's 5'8" 1/2 without shoes. Thus he's shorter than 5'10".
He's 5'10" or so with shoes. Thus by NBA measurements he's taller than 5'8" since they measure with shoes on.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2017, 09:39:53 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
I don't care if he was 3 apples high dude is a baller.
ok fine