Poll

Assume He's ~100% Healthy. Is Isaiah Thomas With Us Past 2018?

Yes
18 (66.7%)
No
9 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 27

Author Topic: Horford And Hayward Aren't Here...  (Read 1773 times)

Horford And Hayward Aren't Here...
« on: August 07, 2017, 07:11:11 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 2954
  • On To Banner 18!
Without the All-Star play of Isaiah Thomas and his recruiting during the off seasons.

I mean, does anyone REALLY think we are nabbing Horford and/or Hayward in the last 2 FA periods (or being one of six teams getting a meeting with Kevin Durant) if we didn't have Isaiah Thomas?

Brad Stevens is a great coach, but this team is probably still in legitimate rebuilding mode if it weren't for the growth of Isaiah Thomas under Steven's system. Hayward even said that while he and CBS have had good relations, it wasn't THAT close as sources/media made it out to be since they were only together for like 2 years at Butler. Hayward chose to come here because the East got weaker and the Celtics are a Top-3 team in the East (PRIMARILY because of Isaiah).

So I just don't see why the Celtics and the FO (Ainge, Wyc, etc.) let Isaiah walk this summer because "he's not worth the $$".

As @saltlover has even mentioned on many posts, the Celtics are likely paying the luxury tax anyways NEXT year, even if Isaiah takes a big paycut to stay, so w/his Bird Rights, I think the C's will offer him a 4 or 5 year max (my hope is he settles for "a bit less" at 4 years max).

Of course, if his hip injury is a lot more severe than we realized, then yeah that changes everything, but it doesn't look like it's that bad anymore (thank god).

IT4 has grown into a Boston sports star in the past few years and has also brought in a lot of national media attention and revenue/sales to the organization. He also went and watched the Patriots training camp session today to "admire greatness". This is a guy who seriously wants to win in Boston and the organization and many fans love him too.

So honestly, when I hear things like, "trade IT4, Crowder, picks for a 'big upgrade' in Irving", I honestly just laugh. After all he's done and seeing what other guys are getting in FA, and also considering IT has been (criminally) underpaid his whole career, yes, I feel he deserves the Brinks Truck.

Without Isaiah, we don't make the playoffs 2 years ago, and are probably a 7 seed at best this year (although we may not have had Horford either).

Maybe it's just me, but I think Ainge and Wyc are confident they can keep IT long term and both sides probably have a "wink wink" deal regarding contract extension/negotiations. I'm sure Hayward and Horford also wanted assurances IT would be a long term part of the team's plans too before deciding to come here.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Horford And Hayward Aren't Here...
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 07:46:34 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Thought this thread was about them two being AWOL in Venezuela.

I hope we try lowball him to keep long term flexibility. Maybe 5 years 100 million.

Not really worried about what it does to his brinks truck ego
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 08:04:19 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
I hope we trade him to Brooklyn for Jeremy Lin.
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 08:07:21 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
The poll, title, and post are all over the place.

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 08:57:18 PM »

Offline tarheelsxxiii

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1389
The poll, title, and post are all over the place.

Hi, Ed. 
The Tarstradamus Group, LLC

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 09:22:40 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
IT is awesome, but a 5 year max would be nuts. In 5 years he will be the worst contract in the league. I'm hoping for a 3 year max, no option.

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 09:45:28 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I thought this was more than another commercial for IT.

I like IT too, but lets no loose our minds.