Author Topic: Doc Rivers (4 years ago): "Lakers are best sports franchise in history"  (Read 1783 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Four years ago, Rivers told Woj: "The risk is all mine. To go to an organization that hasn't won but [two] playoff series in their entire history, in a town where the other team is the best franchise in sports history -- that's risk.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20259331/doc-rivers-move-la-clippers-front-office-was-inevitable

Re: Doc Rivers (4 years ago): "Lakers are best sports franchise in history"
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 07:22:48 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2509
I don't think the comment was made in the context of analyzing the top franchises of all-time.  He was using hyperbole to make the case for the challenge faced by going to the Clippers. 

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 10:05:30 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
He might not be wrong, especially 4 years ago before the Lakers were competing for the worst record the last couple of seasons.

I mean think about it this way outside of the Lakers and Celtics, the only teams really in consideration are the Yankees and maybe the Steelers.  No hockey franchise has really sustained success long enough and he is obviously talking about the major US sports, so no soccer teams come into play there.

So if you are talking about the Yankees, Steelers, Lakers, and Celtics, I think you could fairly reasonably pick the Lakers with all their titles, all their finals appearances, and the near unprecedented string of playoffs appearances. 
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 10:11:47 PM by Moranis »
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 10:27:02 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 325
He might not be wrong, especially 4 years ago before the Lakers were competing for the worst record the last couple of seasons.

I mean think about it this way outside of the Lakers and Celtics, the only teams really in consideration are the Yankees and maybe the Steelers.  No hockey franchise has really sustained success long enough and he is obviously talking about the major US sports, so no soccer teams come into play there.

So if you are talking about the Yankees, Steelers, Lakers, and Celtics, I think you could fairly reasonably pick the Lakers with all their titles, all their finals appearances, and the near unprecedented string of playoffs appearances.

I'd have to throw the Canadiens in that discussion too -- 24 titles, second only to the Yankees' 27.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 05:40:15 AM »

Offline Androslav

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 528
My suggestions;
Starting with an out of the box pick,
FC Benfica - IMO biggest active fan base (paying yearly club membership of any sport club on the Earth. Been that way since I am aware of my existance.)
I had the chance to be there in Lisbon, on the Stadium of the Light, each game feels like a festivity there, with giant eagle flying inside the stadium before each game to get the roar of the crowd. Brass section is playing with drumms accompaning them. When the club anthem is playing everybody rises. And one more thing 1-100 year olds at the game. After 3/5 minutes of circling, eagle lands on its trainers hand and then a game opening whistle can sound off - just a crazy good fan expirience. 67k seats - full as a rose hip. Invoking so much rescpect in me.

https://www.quora.com/How-come-Benfica-is-considered-to-be-the-biggest-club-in-the-world-ahead-of-RealMadrid-Manchester-United-Bayern-Munich-Barcelona-and-the-like-and-it-belongs-to-the-Portuguese-league-not-one-of-the-richest-leagues-in-Europe-and-the-world

Real Madrid - becoming famous world wide, during the infamous Francos dictatorship rule of Spain, in the 50s after 5 champions cups (later bacame Champions league)

Barcelona - seems like they are the most famous of them all.

BTW, Real and Barca have amazing basketball, watepolo, handball and other sports teams. The truest sport frachises in my book.
Dario spanish fan probably knows more about it.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2017, 05:57:27 AM by Androslav »
"The joy of the balling under the rims."

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2017, 06:09:28 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

I'd have to throw the Canadiens in that discussion too -- 24 titles, second only to the Yankees' 27.
they haven't won (or even made the Finals) since 1993 and since their title in 1979 only have 3 Finals appearances with just 2 wins.  That is far too long since they were relevant to be with those other franchises.

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2017, 07:42:18 AM »

Offline D Dub

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 251

they haven't won (or even made the Finals) since 1993 and since their title in 1979 only have 3 Finals appearances with just 2 wins.  That is far too long since they were relevant to be with those other franchises.

I'm struggling to put the Minneapolis Lakers in such high regard. 

They shouldn't get to count both cities titles in a debate against NY, Boston, Pittsburg or Montreal.

« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2017, 08:20:43 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
and where Doc Rivers is the most over rated sack of poo in coaching history

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2017, 09:04:26 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

if that's your standard then you'd exclude the Celtics as well --> 1 title since 1986 and only 1 other finals appearance in that timeframe. 

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2017, 09:36:04 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith

if that's your standard then you'd exclude the Celtics as well --> 1 title since 1986 and only 1 other finals appearance in that timeframe.
I know.  I think the Lakers are the standard bearer of the NBA for that reason (even with less titles).  I just didn't want to get into that debate in this thread as it would have side tracked the whole thread. 

It is also why I wouldn't put UCLA as the best college basketball program.  In my mind that honor goes to Kentucky.