Author Topic: Kyrie trade would open doors for younger players  (Read 6986 times)

Re: Kyrie trade would open doors for younger players
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2017, 01:15:33 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Thomas, Crowder, Rozier and maybe Boston's 2018 1st is a reasonable trade for both teams.

That also means Boston can keep Smart next summer (which it can't do if it keeps Thomas, especially with Crowder and Rozier on the roster).

Yeah, Thomas, Crowder and Rozier works on the trade checker. Irving has a better contract than IT will get. $18-20 M for the next 3-4 years.

Basically, they can fit a third star under the cap with this deal for the next few years.

Ainge knows that, or he wouldn't be interested.
What?? Kyrie make 18 Million this upcoming season and 20 Million the next. Then he has player option for 21 Million that he will definitely opt out of and sign a max deal. So he is signed for 2 years, and the only reason it would 3 if he sucks or gets seriously injured.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2017, 05:48:22 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
Does the C's acquisition of Gordon Hayward make them better than the Cavs?

Ainge:
"I don't know," the Celtics president of basketball operations said. "The summer isn't over. There's still time [for moves to be made]. We've just acquired some players that we like. That's a question maybe I can answer in November or December."

« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2017, 06:11:54 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
Does the C's acquisition of Gordon Hayward make them better than the Cavs?

Ainge:
"I don't know," the Celtics president of basketball operations said. "The summer isn't over. There's still time [for moves to be made]. We've just acquired some players that we like. That's a question maybe I can answer in November or December."
that is GM speak for no.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2017, 06:57:02 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2017, 07:51:38 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think it could hamper their development and the ball flow of the team.  Irving wants to be the man and call the shots.   He has been around the super spoiled LeBron and may think he could do that here.   

Given his win loss record prior to LeBron it worries me as well.  I think in many ways he is an upgrade over IT but I wonder at what cost.   I am not one of the guys who thinks IT is untradeable.

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2017, 08:10:54 AM »

Offline Greyman

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 211
For many fans I don't think it is the Kyrie v IT comparison or what else we might give up. The timing is just bad. Despite what Kyrie brings, with the roster set and other moves made, you have to consider the disruption. I know this is business and you should improve by taking opportunities when they arise but this has a bad feel to me - not the best qualification for not making the move I know. I just have a feeling like old Butchie had when Prop Joe wanted to organise a parlay between Stringer Bell and  Omar. It doesn't feel right.

« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2017, 08:18:44 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Irving > IT

« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2017, 08:31:05 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
http://nesn.com/2017/08/would-kyrie-irving-trade-significantly-upgrade-celtics-championship-chances/

interesting
not really.  basically talks around in a circle --> offers up a deal I don't think a smart person would suggest for Boston and then says it'd be too steep a price that provides little to no improvement due to the cost and the statistical difference between Irving and IT.

« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2017, 08:39:33 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Irving > IT
not by much though -- certainly not enough to justify swapping them and whatever other assets Cleveland would ask for particularly when IT has helped recruit Horford and Hayward and is now basically the face of the franchise.  supposedly players in the league (some at least have stated as much) see IT as someone desirable to play with -- not so sure that's the case with Kyrie. 

While both are poor defenders, IT's issues are height-related, not effort-related.  Kyrie just doesn't bother.  if Kyrie bothered to play D, I'm sure he could at least be average if not better than that but is he willing to make that effort after this many years in the league? 

Offensively, I think it's a wash.  IT can score in so many ways it's unreal.  his ability to finish with a basket and draw contact is a real asset (it'd be even more of an asset if we had a big man that was an actual threat in the post who could also get the other team's bigs in foul trouble).  Kyrie can almost get to the rim at will and has the height to finish without much issue.  I think Kyrie is a slightly better distributor but that's my own personal view.

In the end, it doesn't seem like enough of an improvement to swap the 2 of them. 

« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2017, 12:04:40 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
Everyone always forgets one point when comparing the two. Attitude

IT has an infectious personality, he is a great recruiter for the team, and has a better attitude in general.

As for Kyrie, how could anyone trust, or build a team around a player that deserted his prior team because he wasn't getting enough love.

« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2017, 12:11:24 PM »

Offline PaulP34

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
Just because Kyrie Irvin would come to Boston doesnt mean he will stay. Cleveland just wants to suck up our assets and interupt our future.

I say no to the trade, let Kyrie go somewhere else and if he dont get traded, let him destroy the Cavs from the inside out..

« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2017, 05:34:00 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75
IT can Continue being a better player than KI for the next 3 years before Age comes into play.. 

KI has had the luxery of playing with Lebron - meaning he did not have to carry a team on his back for 4 Qtrs.. (for 82 games to get his team in the playoffs) 
IT has never had anything close to a Lebron to help him shoulder the load.. (and Still IT had a monster top 5 Season)

(Ontop of that, when Lebron SAT the Cavs scoring went to bottom part of the league..) (You put IT in that same situation and I dont think that that would be the case - IT is a playemaker not just an Elite one on one scorer)

Anyway, saying all that to say you dont give up Assets for a lateral move at best..   

« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2017, 05:57:18 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
IMO Kyrie is superior offensively and hasnt hit his peak yet.

Those young players (Brown,Tatum and possibly OJ) need to play and grow. Boston cant keep everyone.

Im sure Kyrie can fit the system.

The future is brighter with this trade

Isaiah is the better player on offense pretty significantly given his efficiency supremacy.

Kyrie is younger and we'd get an extra 2 years of his 20 million dollar deal. It might actually be one year (as in one year extra at 20 million vs paying 30 million after this season).

But right now, IT is the far better player on offense and it's really not close.

That being said, because of Kyrie's age and the fact that he is less deficient on defense, AND his current contract situation, he's certainly worth considering.

"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2017, 07:06:16 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
IT, Crowder and possibly the Lakers pick is well worth Kyrie

1st it gives us a guard who has IMO the better ability to space and create all while scoring at will

2nd trading Crowder opens the door for Brown and Tatum to grow their game

Kyrie
Brown
Hayward
Morris
Horford

I can see that lineup taking a big step for Boston next season

Brown starting would be great and Tatum possibly growing into that 6th man roll would be much desired
good points all around

« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2017, 10:33:08 AM »

Offline bostonsbrash

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 3
Well not to toot my own horn.. but....

I was pretty [dang] close on this one

Boston gets to utilize their young core now, love it