Author Topic: ESPN Panel predicts rookie of the year  (Read 5579 times)

ESPN Panel predicts rookie of the year
« on: August 07, 2017, 02:09:21 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
Ball runaway favorite, Dennis Smith second, Simmons 3rd and Fultz 4th. Tatum had a few votes.

A few thoughts from me:

I am actually a little more interested in the ROY this year. It seemed like Simmons could have actually played 10 games down the stretch last year, but there was speculation that has contract that has a sizable bonus if he wins ROY year, helped convince him and the team to not have suit up towards the end of the year (I have no idea if there is any truth to this, but something I read repeatedly on the 76ers blog).

It is pretty impressive that Dennis Smith received second most votes after being drafted 9th. It seems like his summer league performance impressed people around the NBA more than anyone else.

As a Celtics fan it is nice to see Fultz is actually down 4th. Obviously this doesn't mean anything at all in the grand scheme of things, but he was made out to be the second coming briefly before the draft and players like Lebron, Shaq etc were always runaway favorites for the ROY. This shows at least some people on the panel didn't have him as a level above the other rookies. (which at least is a tiny bit nerve calming).

Re: ESPN Panel predicts rookie of the year
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 02:16:01 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Ball runaway favorite, Dennis Smith second, Simmons 3rd and Fultz 4th. Tatum had a few votes.

A few thoughts from me:

I am actually a little more interested in the ROY this year. It seemed like Simmons could have actually played 10 games down the stretch last year, but there was speculation that has contract that has a sizable bonus if he wins ROY year, helped convince him and the team to not have suit up towards the end of the year (I have no idea if there is any truth to this, but something I read repeatedly on the 76ers blog).

It is pretty impressive that Dennis Smith received second most votes after being drafted 9th. It seems like his summer league performance impressed people around the NBA more than anyone else.

As a Celtics fan it is nice to see Fultz is actually down 4th. Obviously this doesn't mean anything at all in the grand scheme of things, but he was made out to be the second coming briefly before the draft and players like Lebron, Shaq etc were always runaway favorites for the ROY. This shows at least some people on the panel didn't have him as a level above the other rookies. (which at least is a tiny bit nerve calming).

The likelihood of Simmons having such a bonus is very, very low, because such a bonus could not carry him above the 120% slot value that he reportedly signed for.  So if there is such a clause, it would mean that he got less than 120%, which would probably be a first for a #1 overall pick since they introduced the slotting system.

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 02:24:58 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 741

A few thoughts from me:

The likelihood of Simmons having such a bonus is very, very low, because such a bonus could not carry him above the 120% slot value that he reportedly signed for.  So if there is such a clause, it would mean that he got less than 120%, which would probably be a first for a #1 overall pick since they introduced the slotting system.
It looks like winning ROY could mean bonuses in his shoe contract with Nike:

The deal also includes bonuses that will push the value above $20 million. Some bonuses are achievable with solid efforts such as All-Rookie team and Rookie of the Year, and some, such as first-team All-NBA and MVP, are difficult to attain.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2016/06/28/nike-shoe-contract-no-1-pick-ben-simmons/86491236/

Good for Dennis Smith. He's in a unique position of likely both getting a lot of minutes right away and playing for a team trying to make the playoffs. It would be pretty great for the Celtics if Smith ended up the best PG in the draft and teh econd best player over all.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 02:28:36 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
Ball is so overrated.

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 02:41:41 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
Ball is so overrated.

He's really not Potter, especially when you consider, Opportunity, making money for the Lakers, and he contributes to winning in a big way. He's going to be special.

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2017, 02:43:09 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
another year where 76ers will have two rookies competing for ROY since usually all the rookies they draft gets injured

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2017, 02:47:46 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I think Ball could be the overall best player to come out of this draft when all is said and done. Have been saying that for a while. Still happy with the Tatum selection and trade with Philly as that LA pick could be Deandre Ayton or Mohammed Bamba.

My ROY candidate is Simmons. Think he could put up a bunch of triple doubles in Philly.

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2017, 03:00:40 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Sixers have the problem of 2 rookies taking votes from the other.  The others are basically ranked by playing time, opportunity, and exposure. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2017, 03:09:02 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386

A few thoughts from me:

Saltlover it seems it is actually a shoe bonus per the other poster...

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 03:28:59 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I think Ball could be the overall best player to come out of this draft when all is said and done. Have been saying that for a while. Still happy with the Tatum selection and trade with Philly as that LA pick could be Deandre Ayton or Mohammed Bamba.

My ROY candidate is Simmons. Think he could put up a bunch of triple doubles in Philly.

Ball will be ROY but it will be primarily a political pick. Lakers are the most important franchise to the league and that fan base is desperate for some hope. What better way to create some goodwill among the fans of what no doubt will be another awful team than giving Magic's first draft pick ROY? He'll have some exciting passes and what not and decent stats.

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 04:36:58 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Ball will be ROY but it will be primarily a political pick. Lakers are the most important franchise to the league and that fan base is desperate for some hope. What better way to create some goodwill among the fans of what no doubt will be another awful team than giving Magic's first draft pick ROY? He'll have some exciting passes and what not and decent stats.

I also expect a huge deal to be made about how PPG isn't everything, and it's been forever since a non-scorer won ROY. So Ball wins ROY despite there being a player that had a much better season, sort of like Verlander winning MVP over Ellsbury a few years ago because it had been so long since a pitcher won MVP
I'm bitter.

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2017, 04:38:28 PM »

Online BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212
Ball is so overrated.

He's really not Potter, especially when you consider, Opportunity, making money for the Lakers, and he contributes to winning in a big way. He's going to be special.

Let's at least see him win an NBA game before we start saying stuff like that
I'm bitter.

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2017, 05:01:18 PM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 412
I think Daaron Fox will win it..I said before the draft I think he was the best player.only time will tell
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2017, 06:07:10 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Fox shoots 20% from 3. He makes rondo look like ray

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2017, 06:22:30 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1833
Ball should win it for a number of reasons: playing style, team should improve, Laker bias, and Fultz/Simmons will split vote.