Author Topic: Isaiah says hip is great and still talking max money  (Read 5123 times)

Isaiah says hip is great and still talking max money
« on: August 06, 2017, 09:22:15 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
From an article by Steve Bulpett:

“The hip is great,” said Thomas, who didn’t seem bothered by it as he played with campers yesterday. “It’s a real slow rehab process, but it’s getting better and that’s what it’s all about.”

Thomas’ health is of the utmost importance as the Celtics try to ascend the next step up the NBA hierarchy, and he personally looks to climb on the pay scale. He has one year remaining on his contract. He hasn’t been shy about his desire to land a max contract next summer.

Team goals and winning a title come first, but Thomas still expects a big payday. The two may come hand in hand.

“Very confident,” Thomas said when asked how confident he is that he’ll get that max deal. “I deserve it. I put the work in, and you can put me down against any guard in the NBA. . . . My numbers are up there with the best players in the world, and my team is winning. So, I mean, you have to reward that.

“I’m just going to keep working though. My time is gonna come. I have a lot of faith in God, and I just have to keep working to get better.”

Re: Isaiah says hip is great and still talking max money
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 09:37:03 AM »

Offline iadera

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
  • CroCeltics
If someone's going to offer you a max, then you have any right to talk about it and this dude is gonna have it, here or elsewhere.

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2017, 09:55:39 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
See ya..... It's 2017.

"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2017, 10:07:47 AM »

Offline Rhyso

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 37
The media is going to keep asking him about the money all season now because of his repeated comments. He probably deserves a max contract (definately if you count his underpaid years), but after watching him get abused defensively against the Wizards I really hope we dont, a 3 year max deal would be good though.

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2017, 10:11:47 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I hope this doesn't ruin an otherwise exciting season.

The Brinks truck (and slides) comments were one thing, but now it is 'max this' and 'max that.' It is getting uncomfortable. I have been on the side of keeping IT, but part of me is hoping Marcus Smart actually shows signs of breaking out. It will be almost impossible to keep both of them if IT is a max guy and Smart is a $15M/yr guy.

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2017, 10:22:40 AM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
"I'll think about my next contract when the season is over. I'm focused on getting back into shape and helping the team win."

That is the only way he should be answering every question on the topic. Anything else provokes unnecessary distraction.

« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2017, 10:52:34 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I hope this doesn't ruin an otherwise exciting season.

The Brinks truck (and slides) comments were one thing, but now it is 'max this' and 'max that.' It is getting uncomfortable. I have been on the side of keeping IT, but part of me is hoping Marcus Smart actually shows signs of breaking out. It will be almost impossible to keep both of them if IT is a max guy and Smart is a $15M/yr guy.

It seems like he was just responding to a reporters question. I think Smart is good as gone though and we draft Doncic.

« Reply #7 on: August 06, 2017, 11:10:40 AM »

Offline __ramonezy__

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 62
"I'll think about my next contract when the season is over. I'm focused on getting back into shape and helping the team win."

That is the only way he should be answering every question on the topic. Anything else provokes unnecessary distraction.
The reason he's stressing it so much is because there are growing circles in Boston media constantly questioning if he is worth it. IT didn't start the max debate, we did... he's simply making us know what he wants and feels he deserved.

Honestly at this point it is beyond question, this man put us on his back and carried us to the ECF while also shouldering the burden of losing his sister. He's a top 3 scorer in the NBA and led 4th quarter scoring. If he were playing on a max contract last season would anyone be saying he wasn't worth it?

Back up the brinks truck and pay the man!!!

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2017, 11:23:34 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

The reason he's stressing it so much is because there are growing circles in Boston media constantly questioning if he is worth it. IT didn't start the max debate, we did... he's simply making us know what he wants and feels he deserved.

Honestly at this point it is beyond question, this man put us on his back and carried us to the ECF while also shouldering the burden of losing his sister. He's a top 3 scorer in the NBA and led 4th quarter scoring. If he were playing on a max contract last season would anyone be saying he wasn't worth it?

Back up the brinks truck and pay the man!!!
I think people are scared that due to multiple concerns (age, playing style, injuries) that he wouldn't be worth the max contract down the track. IT takes a beating, and is a weak defender to put it mildly. If he isn't able to blow up games offensively, due to whatever reason, then he isn't worth a max.

I think Hayward will help with IT getting smashed to bits, as he will take a massive load off of IT's shoulders on the offensive end. This season will be very interesting in determining what IT is worth.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2017, 11:40:55 AM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
He literally just answered a reporters question. He did so in a basic form of that. Nothing to see here/discuss

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2017, 11:48:32 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
IT just outplayed John Wall in the playoffs despite being significantly injured.  John Wall just signed a supermax extension.  Of course IT thinks he should get the max.  And I agree with him.

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2017, 11:50:44 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
Have you ever heard an NBA player say no, I'm not worth the max when asked?

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2017, 12:04:46 PM »

Offline td450

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 254
It's hard to see how this won't become a problem. I'm almost certain Ainge is not going to simply give IT a 5 year $179M max deal, but that's what IT clearly thinks he deserves. He will want to see what the market will bear, then match it, and he will want some tail off of the deal. The likelihood is they will be $30M-40M or more apart.

Will IT cooperate with that process? I'm guessing this will get ugly.

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2017, 12:05:25 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150
Great hearing that his hip is feeling great. Hope he has a healthy and productive season.

As for talking max money Isaiah's best option is to shut up! Too many people are struggling just to make ends meet. He sounds like he feels entitled. If he's worth the max, then let his actions will prove his worth, not his mouth. His agent needs to talk with him.

If I remember correctly Sport Illustrated (or some other news source) wrote that, when his overall play is considered, his numbers didn't equate to being anything special. Plus, his playoff performance against Cleveland in the 2016 weren't anything special either.

This past year it was noticeable that more teams were doing a better job keeping him in check. Thus, he's a liability at times because he's shooting too much. He needs to focus on basketball and not comment any further to questions on his future contract. 

« Reply #14 on: August 06, 2017, 12:15:39 PM »

Offline KGs Knee

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1544
IT may very well be worth a max contract, but I'm getting a bit tired of hearing him talk about it. It's not a great look and could end up being a distraction.

Besides, negotiating through the media is a fools errand.