Author Topic: 2018 Chad Ford Draft Tiers  (Read 7069 times)

2018 Chad Ford Draft Tiers
« on: August 06, 2017, 02:30:28 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
I know his tiers are a bit polarizing around here, but are we going to have 5 Tier 1 prospects next year in Bagley, Porter, Doncic, Ayton, and Bamba? And even if you don’t want to categorize it as Chad Ford draft tier 1, are we going to have 5 legit blue chip prospects come out? As far back as I can remember the range of blue chip prospects in a draft has only been anywhere from 0-3.

Obviously I know a lot can change through the course of a year so some of these guys might see their draft stock tumble, but that can also mean another player jumps into that blue chip prospect level with a great year and they might see their stock soar.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

Re: 2018 Chad Ford Draft Tiers
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2017, 02:55:11 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Top 5 as of now which is great. But remember last year Giles and smith Jr were projected 1 and 2 so things can always change. But looks good so far
I'm personally starting to warm up to the 2nd tier in case there are dark horses that rise. Someone like Wendell Carter can appear out of nowhere and rise to the top 5. There's good talent in that 2nd tier a lot of good bigs
« Last Edit: August 06, 2017, 03:29:24 AM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2017, 07:25:13 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
Here is tier 1 and tier 2/3 (imo) as of 8/9/2017. Of course it is ridiculously early but this is pretty much an educated guess of who the 8-10  best prospects will be in 10 months.

Just because I'm bored at work, I also threw in fun hybrid comparisons.

Tier 1:

Marvin Bagley= 50% Chris Bosh
                          50% Lamar Odom

Michael Porter Jr.= 33.3% Danillo Gallinari
                               33.3% Chandler Parsons
                               33.3% Rashard Lewis

Deandre Ayton= 50% Karl Towns
                           50% Greg Oden

Luka Doncic= 75% Gordon Hayward
                       25% Ricky Rubio

Mo Bamba= 95% Rudy Gobert
                      5% Anthony Davis

Tier2 and 3:

Miles Bridges= 33.3% Tobias Harris
                         33.3% Richard Jefferson
                         33.3% Aaron Gordon

Robert Williams
Collin Sexton
Trevon Duval

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2017, 07:29:41 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
@CELTICSofBOSTON

If you’re right and Bamba is Rudy Gobert with a tad bit of AD splashed in, that is the guy we need lol.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2017, 07:32:18 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
@CELTICSofBOSTON

If you’re right and Bamba is Rudy Gobert with a tad bit of AD splashed in, that is the guy we need lol.

I had to include a splash of Anthony Davis because unlike Gobert, I've seen Bamba hit a jump shot once or twice  :laugh:

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2017, 07:47:42 PM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
I know his tiers are a bit polarizing around here, but are we going to have 5 Tier 1 prospects next year in Bagley, Porter, Doncic, Ayton, and Bamba? And even if you don’t want to categorize it as Chad Ford draft tier 1, are we going to have 5 legit blue chip prospects come out? As far back as I can remember the range of blue chip prospects in a draft has only been anywhere from 0-3.

Obviously I know a lot can change through the course of a year so some of these guys might see their draft stock tumble, but that can also mean another player jumps into that blue chip prospect level with a great year and they might see their stock soar.

Didn't Chad Ford get fired?

Anyway, I think the biggest risks to fall out of that top tier are Bamba and Ayton. Both gad been rumored to have motor/motivation issues. We'll see if they carry over..

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2017, 08:51:26 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Didn't Chad Ford get fired?

Anyway, I think the biggest risks to fall out of that top tier are Bamba and Ayton. Both gad been rumored to have motor/motivation issues. We'll see if they carry over..
motor issues or not, we'd be lucky to have them. They'd only play low minutes for us anyways so as long as their motor works for that long were good

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2017, 09:24:05 PM »

Offline Dannys Chipotle Guy

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
I see 1 top tier and 4 second tier guys.

bagley being the top tier guy.

I wouldnt be shocked if Porter Jr. got up into that tier tho.

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2017, 10:09:50 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
I see 1 top tier and 4 second tier guys.

bagley being the top tier guy.

I wouldnt be shocked if Porter Jr. got up into that tier tho.

Yeah, I'm with you.  I don't view Doncic at all on the level as other tier 1 prospects and I think Bamba's offensive limitations hold him back as well.

I actually think Ayton is a tier 1 prospect, but differing opinions are OK.
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2017, 12:46:36 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
At this stage I only view Bagley as a top tier guy, but I think Ayton and Doncic are most likely to make the leap into that tier, followed by Porter. I like Bamba, but I can't see him as a top tier prospect.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2017, 02:35:13 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
How are the tier defined? Tier 1 is for  the best of the class so it is relative to the class or is it for projected All NBA players?

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2017, 02:52:02 AM »

Offline GC003332

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 62
How are the tier defined? Tier 1 is for  the best of the class so it is relative to the class or is it for projected All NBA players?

https://www.reddit.com/r/NYKnicks/comments/6h7xhm/nba_draft_prospects_ranked_by_tier_fordespn/

It is for all players , not just for the class that they are in

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2017, 04:13:34 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Thanks... I don't know about the rest 4 tier1 players but i don't think Doncic belongs there. He needs a new 1.3 tier just for him cause he is no John Wall or AD kind of talent but he is certainly better than Dilikina !

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2017, 09:29:39 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 860
Projecting high school players success in the NBA is like predicting where a hurricane is going to hit when it is nothing more than a disturbance over the Atlantic Ocean.  Even after a freshman year of college it is hard.  I enjoy reading these things though.  It is nice to get excited that we are going to have the first two picks in a draft that is shaping up to be a very good draft.

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 11:16:19 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111
Thanks... I don't know about the rest 4 tier1 players but i don't think Doncic belongs there. He needs a new 1.3 tier just for him cause he is no John Wall or AD kind of talent but he is certainly better than Dilikina !

I'd project Doncic to be better than Wall, who really isn't THAT great. Doncic isn't Dragan Buster or even Rubio, he is much more skilled than either.