Author Topic: If we determine that we are inches away from a title, what is the next move?  (Read 3042 times)

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
How does Tatum compare to Harrison Barnes?  Is that a good comp or way off?
I think Barnes is quite a bit more athletic than JT, and JT has a more polished offensive game compared to Barnes at 19. They both love the mid-range though, which is where the comparison is best.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 82
I think Barnes is quite a bit more athletic than JT, and JT has a more polished offensive game compared to Barnes at 19. They both love the mid-range though, which is where the comparison is best.

How about as three point shooters, on defense, and as rebounders?

Online Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2944
  • On To Banner 18!
Honestly I think they might make a small move to fill out depth and what not, but nothing else. Even if CLE falters (Irving traded too?), GSW are just too much unless TWO of Curry/Durant/Thompson go down to injury. Even then it's tough.

I think Ainge's hope is that, as early as next summer, he can have two-Top 5 picks and potentially use those picks via draft OR package one or both of them in a deal for KP or AD, depending on how their team's seasons go (Knicks project to be horrible, Pelicans might be okay but depends if AD-Cousins pairing works well).

But I'm not seeing much star power available in the trade deadline anyways (not even KP, or Davis, and most of the "disgruntled stars" of the past season have already been traded). But it's a long season and surprises happen so who knows.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
Not sure what we could really do via trade, given salary match requirements, without having to change the core starters. It would seem most likely moves would involve improving roles/filling holes and development outpacing decline. Cost controls seem key and having rotation players on rookie deals helps as much as having cheap ring chasers. 

It's all about shooting and multiple ball handlers and facilitators, so... interior defense and boards, with shooting isn't easy to find but Crowder and the lower picks are undoubtedly on the table.

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 413
Marc Gasol
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 742
I mostly agree with what Granath posted.

If the C's make the Finals and are competitive at all in the series, they should resign IT and Smart, assume growth from Jaylen and Jayson, add another top talent from the draft, and maybe you make minor moves to consolidate the roster as necessary but that's all. Keep the young talent, run it back to continue to compete now and still be able to look to the future as well.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 03:13:42 PM by Big333223 »
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

How about as three point shooters, on defense, and as rebounders?
Barnes has always been a relatively weak rebounder for his size and athleticism, but his 3 point shooting and defence has always been solid at worst. If Tatum can develop his 3 to the same level then I see him ending up as a similar player to Barnes, but better (barring any explosion from Barnes this year)
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)