Author Topic: Woj:.Adam Silver has concerns about Coaches running the front office/ GM role  (Read 550 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20259331/doc-rivers-move-la-clippers-front-office-was-inevitable

I personally always thought that a GM is a 24/7 role and a head coach cannot be a GM. Its also a conflict of interest. I Wonder what wyc would have done if doc had traded for Austin then give him a $30+ million contract. It's basically funneling money

I like this part of the article: "Looking back, Rivers represented a shift into a new autocracy in the NBA, the centralized power of the championship coach to rule the organizational day. Miami's Pat Riley had created the image of the bigger-than-life free agent recruiter, but the reality of running a franchise's basketball operations is a far less dramatic ideal. It is a job of incremental progress and long-term strategic planning, gathering and cultivating assets to pursue the big deals. It is tens of thousands of hours of relationship-building, information-gathering and deal-making in the shadows. The impulsiveness of a coach can be ruinous, and it's no model for sustainability."