Author Topic: The 76ers are fools for not knowing were taking Tatum #1  (Read 9061 times)

Re: The 76ers are fools for not knowing were taking Tatum #1
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2017, 04:45:35 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Funny how Fultz was the consensus #1 on all the "expert" mocks but if no trades had been made and each team picked who they valued the highest then the draft would've gone Tatum first, Ball second, and Fultz third.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2017, 04:52:54 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Funny how Fultz was the consensus #1 on all the "expert" mocks but if no trades had been made and each team picked who they valued the highest then the draft would've gone Tatum first, Ball second, and Fultz third.

I think it's easy for media and websites to get persuaded by what the majority is saying - once a head of steam gets going behind a prospect, it is tough to slow it down. Regardless of whether or not Fultz ends up being the top player from this draft, it was in everybody's best interest to keep pushing the player that everybody was saying was #1. Nobody wants to be the one that had Darko over Lebron.

« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2017, 06:00:38 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I don't buy that the Celtics wouldn't have taken Fultz with their #1 pick.
I don't really buy it either.  And if Fultz were available there is a very good chance that the Lakers would have grabbed him too.

« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2017, 06:19:02 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Me neither

« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2017, 06:20:02 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
The Lakers had already messed up the Sixers plans in a previous draft by taking Russell over Okafor.  There is no guarantee they wouldn't have taken Fultz over Ball.  There is also the possibility that the Suns or Kings might have tried to trade up if Fultz were available at #2.  The Lakers might have been able to trade down and still get Ball.  There is a good chance the Sixers would have taken Jackson or Smith over Ball. 

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2017, 09:08:31 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
At the top of the draft secrets are not kept well. The last time I remember not being certain of the #1 pick was When the Cavs took Bennett #1.

Right up there with Darko and Greg Oden.

They had the number one pick and traded down, and added a pick.  I don't see how you could not buy it.  Ainge was in the driver seat and there were rumors of Fultz not shooting well at our workout.  If he wanted him he could have taken him, he didn't and traded down and added an asset and got his guy.

ESPN’s Jeff Goodman went on WEEI’s “Dale and Holley with Keefe” on Monday and shed some light on the Washington guard’s audition. “From what I’m told, Fultz didn’t shoot the ball exceptionally well in his workout in Boston,” Goodman said. “But they know he can shoot the ball. So, it’s one workout. … I still think it’s gonna be Fultz at (No. 1), Lonzo Ball at (No. 2).”

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2017/06/markelle-fultz-reportedly-had-bad-shooting-day-in-celtics-workout/

« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2017, 10:23:13 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
At the top of the draft secrets are not kept well. The last time I remember not being certain of the #1 pick was When the Cavs took Bennett #1.

They had the number one pick and traded down, and added a pick.  I don't see how you could not buy it.  Ainge was in the driver seat and there were rumors of Fultz not shooting well at our workout.  If he wanted him he could have taken him, he didn't and traded down and added an asset and got his guy.

ESPN’s Jeff Goodman went on WEEI’s “Dale and Holley with Keefe” on Monday and shed some light on the Washington guard’s audition. “From what I’m told, Fultz didn’t shoot the ball exceptionally well in his workout in Boston,” Goodman said. “But they know he can shoot the ball. So, it’s one workout. … I still think it’s gonna be Fultz at (No. 1), Lonzo Ball at (No. 2).”

Read more at: http://nesn.com/2017/06/markelle-fultz-reportedly-had-bad-shooting-day-in-celtics-workout/

That they traded down for me is not indicative of anything, and I'm not selling the idea that they wanted Tatum all along. I'm just not buying that they would've used the 1st pick of the draft on him.

« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2017, 11:37:54 PM »

Offline chilidawg

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 261
Fultz had a really good workout with the Lakers.  A lot of stories like the one below popped up indicating they were trying to swap spots with the Celtics to take him.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nba/2017/6/18/15826386/lakers-markelle-fultz-lonzo-ball-2017-nba-draft

If the Lakers were sniffing around, it makes sense for the Sixers to secure the first pick by adding an asset like the 2018 pick to the trade.  I've viewed this trade from the start as one of those that both sides (Sixers and Celtics) can feel good about.  We'll see how the players work out, but that's just 20/20 hindsight.

This is how I see it as well.

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2017, 12:06:15 AM »

Offline RockinRyA

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 699
They probably had an idea we were taking Tatum. What they dont know was if the Lakers wouldve picked Fultz if he was available.

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2017, 12:31:56 AM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja

That they traded down for me is not indicative of anything, and I'm not selling the idea that they wanted Tatum all along. I'm just not buying that they would've used the 1st pick of the draft on him.
sorry to have to ask this bc, but aside from wishful thinking, what basis do you have for your argument above? ainge could have drafted fultz if he wanted him. he did not HAVE to trade the #1 away. but he did. ainge simply did not seem to value fultz the same way you do.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2017, 05:04:47 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199
I think Philly was scared that LAL would have taken Fultz at #2 if we'd picked Tatum first, which would have left them with Ball. Not sure how well Ball and Simmons would work together.

That certainly doesn't make it worth it on their end, but that was probably what they were thinking if they knew we had Tatum on the top of our board.

Well this is it right? It doesn't matter who we took at #1, Fultz wasn't getting to #3 so Philly had to make a move. Although we complained a lot about the trade it was really good value for Danny.

« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2017, 07:54:54 AM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219

I think it's easy for media and websites to get persuaded by what the majority is saying - once a head of steam gets going behind a prospect, it is tough to slow it down. Regardless of whether or not Fultz ends up being the top player from this draft, it was in everybody's best interest to keep pushing the player that everybody was saying was #1. Nobody wants to be the one that had Darko over Lebron.

Yep, TP. Groupthink begets itself.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2017, 09:23:46 AM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
The Lakers had already messed up the Sixers plans in a previous draft by taking Russell over Okafor.  There is no guarantee they wouldn't have taken Fultz over Ball.  There is also the possibility that the Suns or Kings might have tried to trade up if Fultz were available at #2.  The Lakers might have been able to trade down and still get Ball.  There is a good chance the Sixers would have taken Jackson or Smith over Ball.

Exactly. Any number of scenarios existed where Philly does not get Fultz if they stay at 3. Whether it's Boston taking Fultz, LA taking Fultz or any other team trading up with either of them to take Fultz, and obviously Philly would have a reason to be concerned that Boston would trade the pick given that they were discussing a trade themselves. Even if the rumblings were there that Boston favored Tatum, it's not like there weren't rumblings they liked Butler, George or KP.

« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2017, 09:27:13 AM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

sorry to have to ask this bc, but aside from wishful thinking, what basis do you have for your argument above? ainge could have drafted fultz if he wanted him. he did not HAVE to trade the #1 away. but he did. ainge simply did not seem to value fultz the same way you do.

To be honest hwangjini_1 I'm not sure I'm buying that either.

I know that became the narrative as soon as Ainge traded the pick but that was the only narrative to sell a Celtics Nation who wanted to hang Danny by his earlobes for trading the #1. I don't know if Danny truly preferred Tatum or he thought that Tatum and Fultz were close enough in talent to make trading down a viable option. We'll never know.

I do know it took some massive balls to make that deal. If Tatum - or the LAL 18 pick - doesn't turn out to be at least close to the level of Fultz then that will always taint Ainge's legacy. The Cs could win 3 Championships over the next 10 years but if Fultz > Tatum + LAL18 then the narrative will be "how many more would we have won if Danny didn't make that deal"? It takes some major cajones to buck the consensus when you know doing so will always define you. The safer move would be to take Fultz.

Of course, if he did that then this season would be defined by a constant narrative of "can Fultz make IT expendible?". Plus we'd only have one more guaranteed lottery shot. By making the move Ainge removed that possible cloud and created even more of an opportunity next year. So I'm not saying it was the wrong move. But I'm not sure I'd have had the guts to make it.
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2017, 09:51:51 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441

To be honest hwangjini_1 I'm not sure I'm buying that either.

I know that became the narrative as soon as Ainge traded the pick but that was the only narrative to sell a Celtics Nation who wanted to hang Danny by his earlobes for trading the #1. I don't know if Danny truly preferred Tatum or he thought that Tatum and Fultz were close enough in talent to make trading down a viable option. We'll never know.

I do know it took some massive balls to make that deal. If Tatum - or the LAL 18 pick - doesn't turn out to be at least close to the level of Fultz then that will always taint Ainge's legacy. The Cs could win 3 Championships over the next 10 years but if Fultz > Tatum + LAL18 then the narrative will be "how many more would we have won if Danny didn't make that deal"? It takes some major cajones to buck the consensus when you know doing so will always define you. The safer move would be to take Fultz.

Of course, if he did that then this season would be defined by a constant narrative of "can Fultz make IT expendible?". Plus we'd only have one more guaranteed lottery shot. By making the move Ainge removed that possible cloud and created even more of an opportunity next year. So I'm not saying it was the wrong move. But I'm not sure I'd have had the guts to make it.
Me either.  Very ballsy.  Even if Fultz flops, it would be tough to criticize Ainge for taking him.  If Fultz ends up better than Tatum and the future pick isn't amazing, Ainge will be killed for making the trade.