Author Topic: The 76ers are fools for not knowing were taking Tatum #1  (Read 9063 times)

The 76ers are fools for not knowing were taking Tatum #1
« on: August 05, 2017, 02:24:41 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136
 At the top of the draft secrets are not kept well. The last time I remember not being certain of the #1 pick was When the Cavs took Bennett #1.

Everyone knew we loved Brown last year and we took him, we clearly loved Tatum this year and we took him. Jackson's camp knew we were taking Tatum over him..

Even if the 76ers were wrong about who the Celtics we're going to pick, they would have been left with Tatum, Jackson, and Fox. Fox who I personally think will have the better career.

Good job Danny for holding onto your hand and not letting anybody see your Ace's, but an even worse job from Philly from not gathering better Intel.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 02:47:10 PM by KG Living Legend »

Re: The 76ers are fools for not knowing were taking Tatum #1
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 02:32:47 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Sign of bad management. Being a GM has a poker element to it. Its why I don't see the sixers making the playoffs anytime soon. Badly managed teams stay bad. This is the sixers that drafted so many bigs that some had to leave (noel), embiid is red flagged forever and won't play more than a handful of games before breaking down, and okafor is a relic of the past. Simmons hasn't really impressed me seems like lamar odom without a jumper. Fultz is good but needs the proper support system and a defending guard to hide him on D... Jj reddick is probably the last guy to help hide Fultz on D. They are terrible at drafting and managing a team
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 02:41:30 PM by CelticsElite »

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 02:40:38 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I think Philly was scared that LAL would have taken Fultz at #2 if we'd picked Tatum first, which would have left them with Ball. Not sure how well Ball and Simmons would work together.

That certainly doesn't make it worth it on their end, but that was probably what they were thinking if they knew we had Tatum on the top of our board.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 02:43:13 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think Philly was scared that LAL would have taken Fultz at #2 if we'd picked Tatum first, which would have left them with Ball. Not sure how well Ball and Simmons would work together.

That certainly doesn't make it worth it on their end, but that was probably what they were thinking if they knew we had Tatum on the top of our board.

I think the Lakers indeed would have taken Fultz.  I'm also not convinced Ainge wouldn't have taken Fultz on draft night if he felt that Fultz had more trade value than Tatum.  Each team made the trade that worked best for them.

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 02:43:19 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I see what the OP is saying, but I respect Jalen Rose's theory of "I gotta get my guy" and if you think you just know what Ainge is thinking at any point in time....I ain't like that

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 02:46:15 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1763
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
To be fair, the Sixers had the #3 pick, not the #2. Even if they assumed that the Cs weren't taking Fultz (not a sure thing), the Lakers were clearly also in the market for a pg and there was no guarantee they would take Ball over Fultz.

To be sure the Sixers got their man, they were willing to give up one of their surplus of plus assets over the next two seasons (while also protecting it in case they got luck with the #1).

There are plenty of Cs fans who think the Cs should have received more, but because Danny was never going to take Fultz anyway, he was happy to get something really solid in return, along with additional cap space.

Edit - I guess I took a little too long concocting my response. TPs to SL and gouki for beating me to the punch.

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 02:51:53 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I think the Lakers indeed would have taken Fultz.  I'm also not convinced Ainge wouldn't have taken Fultz on draft night if he felt that Fultz had more trade value than Tatum.  Each team made the trade that worked best for them.

Really Salt?

I can't remember a more obvious pick than Lonzo to the Lakers. Magic was just playing the game with his Fultz comment's.

The amount of money that Ball will generate alone was worth the Pic. Not to mention in my mind Lonzo is the better player and winner and it's not even close Imo.

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 03:03:45 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Really Salt?

I can't remember a more obvious pick than Lonzo to the Lakers. Magic was just playing the game with his Fultz comment's.

The amount of money that Ball will generate alone was worth the Pic. Not to mention in my mind Lonzo is the better player and winner and it's not even close Imo.

Fultz had a really good workout with the Lakers.  A lot of stories like the one below popped up indicating they were trying to swap spots with the Celtics to take him.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nba/2017/6/18/15826386/lakers-markelle-fultz-lonzo-ball-2017-nba-draft

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 03:05:55 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
The workout with fultz is meaningless. It was obvious that magic was going to draft the one point guard that resembles him the most since magic himself played the game

That's why danny was comfortable going 3rd after Lakers. He knew their move too

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 03:17:39 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
Fultz had a really good workout with the Lakers.  A lot of stories like the one below popped up indicating they were trying to swap spots with the Celtics to take him.

https://www.sbnation.com/platform/amp/nba/2017/6/18/15826386/lakers-markelle-fultz-lonzo-ball-2017-nba-draft

If the Lakers were sniffing around, it makes sense for the Sixers to secure the first pick by adding an asset like the 2018 pick to the trade.  I've viewed this trade from the start as one of those that both sides (Sixers and Celtics) can feel good about.  We'll see how the players work out, but that's just 20/20 hindsight. 

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 03:25:09 PM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 151
One could make a comparison to real estate deals. Sometimes people overbid just to make sure they get the property they want.

76er's did the right thing. There was no guarantee they could have drafted Fultz any other way.

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 03:51:52 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 551
At the top of the draft secrets are not kept well. The last time I remember not being certain of the #1 pick was When the Cavs took Bennett #1.

Everyone knew we loved Brown last year and we took him, we clearly loved Tatum this year and we took him. Jackson's camp knew we were taking Tatum over him..

Even if the 76ers were wrong about who the Celtics we're going to pick, they would have been left with Tatum, Jackson, and Fox. Fox who I personally think will have the better career.

Good job Danny for holding onto your hand and not letting anybody see your Ace's, but an even worse job from Philly from not gathering better Intel.
Lots of revisionism around here.  You said you wanted #3 and Simmons for the #1.  Others wanted #3, Lakers 2018 and Kings 2018 or #3, Lakers 2018 and Saric.  The actual trade would have been ridiculed as a trade proposal on here.   

The Sixers got the best prospect and by far the best fit for them.  Tatum, Jackson and Fox would have been much more difficult to fit with Simmons and Embiid.  If the trade hadn't occurred and Fultz was already taken, they probably would have ended up with Dennis Smith. 
The Sixers clearly were not fools to give up as little as they did to go up and get their guy for as little as they gave up. 

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 04:05:34 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I don't think it's so much of them being fools, we wanted Tatum @ #1, and Philly wanted Fultz, but they're the #3 pick. They weren't sure if Lakers wanted Fultz or Ball so it was safer to trade up. It worked out for both teams, as we wanted Tatum but drafting him at #3 saves us some money.

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 04:06:33 PM »

Offline mqtcelticsfan

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 236
The 76ers had Fultz as the top guy in the draft and made a move to get him. There is nothing foolish about how the handled the situation.

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 04:39:57 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I don't buy that the Celtics wouldn't have taken Fultz with their #1 pick.