Author Topic: Michael Porter Jr. Watch Thread  (Read 16320 times)

Re: Michael Porter Jr. Watch Thread
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2018, 12:43:56 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 2923
  • On To Banner 18!
Sucks that the Lakers Pick won't convey.

Would have LOVED any of Ayton, Porter or Bagley.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2018, 12:49:02 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 375

PROBABLY won’t convey. I’m saying there’s a chance.  ;)

« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2018, 12:50:43 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11
Is likely to play today. He's the quintessential Stevens player.

I wonder if we make a Winslow type offer to nab him in the draft. Again, he's just such a perfect player for our system and having Tatum, Brown, and Porter for the next 10 years would be unreal. Plus, given his back issues and the amount of tier talent in this draft, he's likely to go no higher than 4. This makes him for much more attainable.
There's almost no chance we trade for him, and there is absolutely no chance that we trade for him while keeping Brown and Tatum. We're trying to win a championship, not make a "Winslow type offer" for a guy who has played 2 minutes in college. Only shot we get him is the Lakers pick.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2018, 01:13:12 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton

I hate when people say this. Unless you think the Lakers are a lock for making the playoffs (Spoiler: They aren't), then the pick will always have a chance of conveying, until we find out for sure during the lottery. Teams jump into the top 3 all the time.

« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2018, 01:20:24 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

I hate when people say this. Unless you think the Lakers are a lock for making the playoffs (Spoiler: They aren't), then the pick will always have a chance of conveying, until we find out for sure during the lottery. Teams jump into the top 3 all the time.
Not from the 10th spot or later.  Also if it lands #1, the Sixers keep the pick.  If the Lakers finish  10th worse, we'd have a 2.9% chance of getting the 2nd or 3rd pick and the Sixers would have a 1.1% chance of getting the #1 pick.   

« Reply #50 on: March 03, 2018, 01:49:46 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

I wonder if we make a Winslow type offer to nab him in the draft. Again, he's just such a perfect player for our system and having Tatum, Brown, and Porter for the next 10 years would be unreal. Plus, given his back issues and the amount of tier talent in this draft, he's likely to go no higher than 4. This makes him for much more attainable.

There's almost no chance we trade for him, and there is absolutely no chance that we trade for him while keeping Brown and Tatum. We're trying to win a championship, not make a "Winslow type offer" for a guy who has played 2 minutes in college. Only shot we get him is the Lakers pick.

Contradictory statements. But yeah, I was referring to using the Lakers pick, among other picks.

These definitive "no way" statements are kind of odd, though. If Ainge values a player, he'll aggressively target him.

« Reply #51 on: March 03, 2018, 02:21:48 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton

Contradictory statements. But yeah, I was referring to using the Lakers pick, among other picks.

These definitive "no way" statements are kind of odd, though. If Ainge values a player, he'll aggressively target him.
Lol no they're not. I said we won't be able to trade for him without giving up Tatum or Brown, which is true. We don't have the assets unless you're looking to give up Tatum or Brown (Or Kyrie I guess), which makes no sense.

So then I said our only real chance at getting him is the Lakers pick, which is also true. If it conveys, then we would certainly have a shot at taking him, and not have to trade for him.

And saying we would have to use the Lakers pick PLUS other picks to get him doesn't make sense either. He will most likely be available if the Lakers pick conveys, so we would just draft him.

« Reply #52 on: March 03, 2018, 02:28:48 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton

Not from the 10th spot or later.  Also if it lands #1, the Sixers keep the pick.  If the Lakers finish  10th worse, we'd have a 2.9% chance of getting the 2nd or 3rd pick and the Sixers would have a 1.1% chance of getting the #1 pick.
Nope it still has a chance of conveying, even from the 10th spot. Unless the Lakers make the playoffs, we will have a shot at the pick until the lottery. That's simply a fact. And even if our chance don't increase (And they very well might if the Lakers go back to losing), 3% is still a very real chance. Like I said, teams have hit from a lot worse.

So don't say the pick won't convey like it's a fact. I know a lot of you are still going to be watching the lottery when the time comes, even if we only have 3% chance of getting the pick.

« Reply #53 on: March 03, 2018, 02:33:45 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Lol no they're not. I said we won't be able to trade for him without giving up Tatum or Brown, which is true. We don't have the assets unless you're looking to give up Tatum or Brown (Or Kyrie I guess), which makes no sense.

So then I said our only real chance at getting him is the Lakers pick, which is also true. If it conveys, then we would certainly have a shot at taking him, and not have to trade for him.

And saying we would have to use the Lakers pick PLUS other picks to get him doesn't make sense either. He will most likely be available if the Lakers pick conveys, so we would just draft him.

When you said the Lakers pick, I was under the assumption that you grouped it as the LAL/SAC pick.

There are a few scenarios in which we could realistically get him. I mean you have Ayton, Doncic, and Bagley over him and then there is Bamba, Jackson, and Young. Given his injury, it isn't farfetched to believe that those 3 players could jump him as well. In fact, ESPN has him ranked #6 at the moment. 
http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/21307077/nba-draft-rankings-espn-top-100-prospects-2018

So say that draft comes and Ainge really likes him, he's not medically flagged, and he's available 6, as ESPN projects. If you're a really bad team would it be that much of a stretch to think that an offer of Sac 19, Memphis 19 (or whenever it conveys), and Boston's own pick in 2018 (in order for the receiving team to get back a pick in the same draft) would be enticing? Especially if your medical staff have concerns on his medicals.

« Reply #54 on: March 03, 2018, 03:09:51 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Will most likely be playing elsewhere than Boston.

« Reply #55 on: March 03, 2018, 03:10:23 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

When you said the Lakers pick, I was under the assumption that you grouped it as the LAL/SAC pick.

There are a few scenarios in which we could realistically get him. I mean you have Ayton, Doncic, and Bagley over him and then there is Bamba, Jackson, and Young. Given his injury, it isn't farfetched to believe that those 3 players could jump him as well. In fact, ESPN has him ranked #6 at the moment. 
http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/21307077/nba-draft-rankings-espn-top-100-prospects-2018

So say that draft comes and Ainge really likes him, he's not medically flagged, and he's available 6, as ESPN projects. If you're a really bad team would it be that much of a stretch to think that an offer of Sac 19, Memphis 19 (or whenever it conveys), and Boston's own pick in 2018 (in order for the receiving team to get back a pick in the same draft) would be enticing? Especially if your medical staff have concerns on his medicals.
I think most GMs would want a lot more since there's a strong possibility that Sac pick could be in the 20's.

« Reply #56 on: March 03, 2018, 03:33:08 PM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton

Ok. I don't anymore, and certainly not in this context, when you're talking about trading for a guy who we could just draft with the Lakers pick if it conveyed, and if it didn't, then you would call it the Kings pick.

And as for if that would be enough to get Porter, I don't think it would be. There's value in that package, but there is no top pick or young prospect. It's a lot of quantity, and not a lot of quality. I don't think many teams would trade a top pick in this draft for that.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 03:38:44 PM by Bucketgetter »

« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2018, 04:00:21 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
Porter targeting a return of Thursday in the SEC conference tournament.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2018, 04:10:24 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804
I know everyone had high hopes for this pick this season but if we don't get it, it's not the end of the world. I know a lot of people think this is THE YEAR OF THE BIG but we still have a lot of ways to get what we need if we miss out on these kids, don't fret, DA is the safe bet!
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2018, 06:05:25 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 320
It seems like he's a top 6 pick at this moment, but we're not sure if he's healthy until he plays a couple of games against legit competition. Teams are going to want to see him at the Draft Combine as there will be limited tape. I'd want to see explosive moves from him before investing a top pick on him.