Author Topic: Michael Porter Jr. Watch Thread  (Read 16309 times)

Michael Porter Jr. Watch Thread
« on: August 05, 2017, 12:05:13 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
https://www.facebook.com/balldontstopinc/videos/1391772870872428/

Man, tell me this kid doesn't have Durant 2.0 written all over him. His size, length, and how well he moves at that size is just so reminiscent of Durant. He even looks thicker and more physical than Durant already.

And the best part is: we have a legitimate shot of landing both him and one of Bagley/Ayton next summer! (Though I suspect if we do get two top-5 picks they'll be headed in a package for Anthony Davis.)

Re: Michael Porter Jr. Watch Thread
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2017, 12:12:10 AM »

Offline JHTruth

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 111

Man, tell me this kid doesn't have Durant 2.0 written all over him. His size, length, and how well he moves at that size is just so reminiscent of Durant. He even looks thicker and more physical than Durant already.

And the best part is: we have a legitimate shot of landing both him and one of Bagley/Ayton next summer! (Though I suspect if we do get two top-5 picks they'll be headed in a package for Anthony Davis.)

I suspect we'd take on of him or Bagley and Doncic if the luck goes our way. Super team engaged. I suspect AD will still be untouchable for  while, it's nice to dream but we're probably building through the draft..

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2017, 12:24:44 AM »

Offline Somebody

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 560
  • STAND FIRM, SAY NO TO VIBE MEN
I see him as Reggie Lewis with a hint of Durant, which I prefer than just KD.
Jaylen Brown for All-NBA

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2017, 12:35:18 AM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
He is huge. Very tall, big  build for his age. Very athletic shoots above the rim with ease. Sharpshooter as well can shoot from everywhere. my favorite player in this upcoming draft. We could do well with him

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2017, 01:39:05 AM »

Offline MichaelJ

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
It'll be very interesting to revisit after a year of college.  Based on his build I think he'll fill out earlier and more than Durant.

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 03:20:50 AM »

Offline Bucketgetter

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 11

No way am I trading Porter + Bagley + more for Anthony Davis.
CB Mock Deadline - Minnesota Timberwolves
Kemba Walker / Tyus Jones / Aaron Brooks
Jimmy Butler / Jamal Crawford / Treveon Graham
Rodney Hood / Nic Batum / Marcus Georges Hunt
Taj Gibson / Nemanja Bjelica / Jonas Jerebko
KAT / Derrick Favors / Cole Aldrich
Picks - 2018 CHA 1st (Lotto protected), none out

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 05:47:10 AM »

Offline TheSundanceKid

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 199

No way am I trading Porter + Bagley + more for Anthony Davis.
Fans will need something to criticize Danny for next summer though!

I understand that Porter jr is a top talent but what does this video tell us? It was a Pro-Am game right? Was he playing anyone decent? Given he's going to be one of the best players in college basketball I'd hope he'd beat some guys who don't even play in the major leagues

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 09:46:12 AM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I think Porter is going to be a lot closer to Bagley than people think.

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 10:10:17 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867

he is no durant cmon

« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2017, 10:48:09 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

One of the things that makes Durant so special is his absurd wingspan to go with his skillset.  It's between 7'4" and 7'5".  He's unique, and it's a disservice to other players to make the comparison.  We get excited about how skilled Anthony Davis is, but Durant is basically the same size but with the offensive skills of elite wings.  Porter isn't small, but he's not NBA center big, which KD essentially is.

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2017, 01:07:17 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Porter isn't small, but he's not NBA center big, which KD essentially is.
Porter is taller than Durant. Porter is the same height as al horford, 6'10

I don't believe in Durant listed height conspiracy theories. Even if Durant is 6'11 or 7'0, porter is ridiculously big even for a wing. And his athleticism is very high.

« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2017, 01:19:06 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I would say Kevin Durant is both taller and longer than Porter. Probably more athletic when he was younger. He was also a better prospect.

Kevin Durant is 1 of 1.

« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2017, 01:22:57 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
I would say Kevin Durant is both taller and longer than Porter. Probably more athletic when he was younger. He was also a better prospect.

Kevin Durant is 1 of 1.
kevin Durant couldn't bench press 1 rep of 180 lbs at the draft combine, so not sure what athleticism you're referring to. I don't think anyone's arguing whether durants inch taller makes a big difference. The point is many scouts see Durant in porter. Its hard not to. We would be very lucky to have him

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2017, 01:26:54 PM »

Offline clevelandceltic

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 30
I cant wait til people actually get to see Porter and Bagley play instead of talking in the abstract since most people dont watch HS hoops.

Porter isnt as dynamic of a scorer or a smooth as Durant but the guy can fill it up really quickly. A little stiff in the hips but shouldnt have any issues at the 4 spot.

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 01:29:01 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Kevin Durant is 1 of 1.
kevin Durant couldn't bench press 1 rep of 180 lbs at the draft combine, so not sure what athleticism you're referring to. I don't think anyone's arguing whether durants inch taller makes a big difference. The point is many scouts see Durant in porter. Its hard not to.
I forgot athleticism was entirely dictated by how much someone can bench.

The Durant comparisons are a stretch, as of now. If Porter can follow his HS season up with an insane college year like Durant did, I'll happily eat my words. But I don't see that happening. Durant is probably a top 10 scorer of all time, due to his efficiency and versatility.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)