Author Topic: Tatum says he was Ainge's pick all along  (Read 10505 times)

Re: Tatum says he was Ainge's pick all along
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2017, 01:46:48 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Even if Tatum doesn't turn out as good as Fultz, this trade by Ainge could turn out to be a slam dunk win for the Celtics. If we end up with another top 5 pick next year, that pick along with either Jaylen Brown, Tatum, or Brooklyn 2018 could become Anthony Davis. Who cares about Fultz if the trade gets you AD for 8-10 years of his HOF career.

Say next year Brooklyn 2018 is the #1 pick and the Lakers are the 3rd pick. If Danny trades Morris and Crowder, the Lakers pick, Tatum, Zizic, and 2-3 other picks for AD(which is essentially everything he got from Philly plus). He still wins the trade, regardless of how good Tatum and that Lakers pick becomes. Why? Because this team becomes a contender and possible world champ.

IT/Rozier
Brown/Smart
Hayward/Brooklyn 2018(either Porter or Bagley)
Davis/Yabu
Horford/Baynes(re-signed)

That people wins a title and thst makes the trade a huge win.

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2017, 02:01:23 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
I just wish Danny had learned to be more daring in the draft a couple years earlier when he took Olynyk rather Giannis.

I'm convinced that KO was a Stevens' pick.

KO fit CBS' system and prototype player.....a big who can shoot and handle the ball.

Giannis was an incredible athlete who couldn't shoot and was unpolished.

DA gets blamed on this all the time (and he is the GM, and I realize the buck stops with him), but the KO pick had "accommodate the new head coach" all over it. To me that was on Stevens.

Athleticism isn't high on CBS priority list of player attributes desired. Nor is rebounding nor shot blocking. He likes skilled, versatile players who can shoot.  In my opinion that's why we do not have the Greek freak and we had KO.
I don't buy it but if that were the case Stevens should have no input on the draft selections. 

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2017, 02:13:30 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 628
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
I just wish Danny had learned to be more daring in the draft a couple years earlier when he took Olynyk rather Giannis.

KO fit CBS' system and prototype player.....a big who can shoot and handle the ball.

DA gets blamed on this all the time (and he is the GM, and I realize the buck stops with him), but the KO pick had "accommodate the new head coach" all over it. To me that was on Stevens.

Athleticism isn't high on CBS priority list of player attributes desired. Nor is rebounding nor shot blocking. He likes skilled, versatile players who can shoot.  In my opinion that's why we do not have the Greek freak and we had KO.
I don't buy it but if that were the case Stevens should have no input on the draft selections.

I really like DA, top 5 GM in the NBA, but this would still be on him for not saying "Sorry Brad, we gotta take the kid available in the mid-teens with superstar potential."
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2017, 02:20:47 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Stevens wasn't hired until a week or so after the draft.  There's no way Olynyk was his pick.  None.

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2017, 03:01:54 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Any amazing talent evaluator, myself  included, knew that Tatum was the best prospect in this draft.
Odd. I don't have him in the top 3

« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2017, 03:02:45 PM »

Offline Yoki_IsTheName

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1304
  • I'm a Paul Heyman guy.
Even if Tatum doesn't turn out as good as Fultz, this trade by Ainge could turn out to be a slam dunk win for the Celtics. If we end up with another top 5 pick next year, that pick along with either Jaylen Brown, Tatum, or Brooklyn 2018 could become Anthony Davis. Who cares about Fultz if the trade gets you AD for 8-10 years of his HOF career.

Say next year Brooklyn 2018 is the #1 pick and the Lakers are the 3rd pick. If Danny trades Morris and Crowder, the Lakers pick, Tatum, Zizic, and 2-3 other picks for AD(which is essentially everything he got from Philly plus). He still wins the trade, regardless of how good Tatum and that Lakers pick becomes. Why? Because this team becomes a contender and possible world champ.

IT/Rozier
Brown/Smart
Hayward/Brooklyn 2018(either Porter or Bagley)
Davis/Yabu
Horford/Baynes(re-signed)

That people wins a title and thst makes the trade a huge win.

Mohamed Bamba or DeAndre Ayton for me for that pick. AD and any of those two 7 footers moving forward would be monstrous defensively and athletically. And it gives us a cover when Horford expires.
2019 CStrong Historical Draft 2000s OKC Thunder.
PG: Jrue Holiday / Isaiah Thomas / Larry Hughes
SG: Paul George / Aaron McKie / Bradley Beal
SF: Paul Pierce / Tayshaun Prince / Brian Scalabrine
PF: LaMarcus Aldridge / Shareef Abdur-Raheem / Ben Simmons
C: Jermaine O'neal / Ben Wallace

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2017, 03:27:07 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737
The way I see it, Danny was wrong not to wait till draft night to make the Tatum trade.

Trades are like the game of chicken. The principle of the game is that while it is to both players’ benefit if one player yields, the other player's optimal choice depends on what his opponent is doing: if his opponent yields, the player should not, but if the opponent fails to yield, the player should.

To put it another way, if Danny had waited a few more days, it's highly likely we would have gotten a far better return. Worst case scenario, we would have made the exact same trade on draft night. I mean, the Sixers offer wasn't going anywhere. Fultz is the ideal fit for them at the PG position.

Obviously, Tatum was our guy all along but that's completely irrelevant. The point is that we should have tested the market until the last possible moment.

When Vlade traded Boogie at the all-star weekend, people were all over him cause he decided not to wait till the trade deadline. When Danny trades the #1 pick a week before the draft, people are OK with it. Go figure.

Not to mention I'm still not overly sold on Tatum, but that's a whole nother story.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 03:41:59 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2017, 03:43:45 PM »

Offline CELTICSofBOSTON

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 73
I don't think Tatum will be better than Fultz but I trust Danny.

He really liked Tatum and he was definitely #1 on his board.

That pick next year can turn out to be better than both Fultz and Tatum.

If we end up with 1 of Porter, Doncic, Ayton, or Bamba with pick 2-5, then I think we'll all be happy.  I guess we'll see.

I mean, would you take Ayton over Fultz? Heck yes
Would you take Porter over Fultz? Of course
Would you take Bamba over Fultz? Maybe
Doncic? Probably not
Tatum? no but if we end up with one of the above players, it's definitely a win.

« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2017, 03:45:13 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
The way I see it, Danny was wrong not to wait till draft night to make the Tatum trade.

Trades are like the game of chicken. The principle of the game is that while it is to both players’ benefit if one player yields, the other player's optimal choice depends on what his opponent is doing: if his opponent yields, the player should not, but if the opponent fails to yield, the player should.

To put it another way, if Danny had waited a few more days, it's highly likely we would have gotten a far better return. Worst case scenario, we would have made the exact same trade on draft night. I mean, the Sixers offer wasn't going anywhere. Fultz is the ideal fit for them at the PG position.

Obviously, Tatum was our guy all along but that's completely irrelevant. The point is that we should have tested the market until the last possible moment.

When Vlade traded Boogie at the all-star weekend, people were all over him cause he decided not to wait till the trade deadline. When Danny trades the #1 pick a week before the draft, people are OK with it. Go figure.

Not to mention I'm still not overly sold on Tatum, but that's a whole nother story.
what better offer? He got a good offer. We didn't need another player because of cost control for Hayward. I doubt they would have offered another pick, but another pick is overkill we have so many picks that next year we might have to trade that late 1st because that pick can't fit in with our salary

« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2017, 03:47:16 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 378
I'm not an expert....But all I can remember, while watching this past season...Was Fultz seemed invisible in games at times, while Tatum & Josh Jackson were all over the court.

Now, all we need is that Lakers Pick to convey Top 2-5 and we are Gold.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2017, 04:39:29 PM »

Offline Jvalin

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 737

what better offer? He got a good offer. We didn't need another player because of cost control for Hayward. I doubt they would have offered another pick, but another pick is overkill we have so many picks that next year we might have to trade that late 1st because that pick can't fit in with our salary
No one knows mate (except maybe for Bryan Colangelo and the Sixers front office). My point is that we never truly tested the market. We jumped the gun by trading the pick a week before the draft.

Perhaps the Sixers would be willing to offer us both the Lakers and the Kings picks. When the first rumors came out, I remember there were many Sixers fans expecting their team to offer #3 + Lakers 2018 + Kings 2019 for the #1 pick.

Perhaps they would be willing to include Saric in the deal. I get that we wanted the cap space to go after Hayward, but Saric plays a position of need and he is on the rookie scale for 3 more years. We could have still created enough cap space for Hayward by trading Bradley/Smart for a future pick or something.

Not to mention, the Sixers weren't the only team looking to move up in the draft.

He got a good offer.
Nope. In a vacuum, #3 + future protected first is a terrible return for the #1 pick.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 04:47:14 PM by Jvalin »

« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2017, 04:58:50 PM »

Offline Dino Pitino

• NCE
  • Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 219
Nope. In a vacuum, #3 + future protected first is a terrible return for the #1 pick.

Reverse-protected first which is very likely to be either a top 5 pick next year or a top 5-10 pick the year after. All in order to draft the guy they were going to draft anyway at #1. Your vacuum is a fantasy.
"Young man, you have the question backwards." - Bill Russell

"My guess is that an aggregator of expert opinions would be close in terms of results to that of Danny." - Roy H.

« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2017, 05:21:36 PM »

Offline chiken Green

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 75

No one knows mate (except maybe for Bryan Colangelo and the Sixers front office). My point is that we never truly tested the market. We jumped the gun by trading the pick a week before the draft.

Perhaps the Sixers would be willing to offer us both the Lakers and the Kings picks. When the first rumors came out, I remember there were many Sixers fans expecting their team to offer #3 + Lakers 2018 + Kings 2019 for the #1 pick.

Perhaps they would be willing to include Saric in the deal. I get that we wanted the cap space to go after Hayward, but Saric plays a position of need and he is on the rookie scale for 3 more years. We could have still created enough cap space for Hayward by trading Bradley/Smart for a future pick or something.

Not to mention, the Sixers weren't the only team looking to move up in the draft.

He got a good offer.

Phi would have been stupid to wait until the Draft to make a deal because they were at 3.  The lakers could have (and probably would have) Taken Fultz at 2 leaving Phi trying to make another deal with the Lakers or being stuck with Ball.  (Ball would suck playing the 2 there since they already stated that Simmons is playing the point)

In my opinion Tatum was the best player in the draft (Even though I admit to being caught in the Fultz hype)  The Celtics wanted him all along and they got him.. Watching him in Summer league I can see where he is actually a perfect fit for us.. He checks off all the boxes, including the Alpha Scorer. (Fultz looks like Robin)
Ainge got his man, Anything else they picked up along the way is a bonus.

« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2017, 05:24:04 PM »

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789
Any amazing talent evaluator, myself  included, knew that Tatum was the best prospect in this draft.
Odd. I don't have him in the top 3
who'd you have in the top 3?
Josh "I shoot 50% from FT so I can't play 4th quarters, oh and I have a bad shot" jackson?

« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2017, 08:57:10 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

I can't see anyone say I demand you draft Kelly.   CBS likes skilled players who are versatile.  But in college CBS guys were a lot scrappier than KO was barring the Kevin Love Incident, I mean they took mid major to the finals and almost beat Duke.