Author Topic: Revisiting the trade: C's trade Deyonte Davis for a future 1st from Memphis  (Read 7675 times)

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

Grizzlies acquired the draft rights to Michigan State forward Deyonta Davis (Dee-on-TAY Davis) and Mega Leks (Serbia) forward Rade Zagorac (RAH-day ZAH-go-rahtz) from the Boston Celtics in exchange for a future first round draft pick originally acquired from the Los Angeles Clippers on Feb. 19, 2016.

Davis played ended up signing the richest 2nd round contract ever (3 yr 4 mill)

Played in 36 games (Average  6.6.minutes per)
1.6 pts
1.7 rb
0.1 assist

Zagorac averaged 5 pt and 4 rb in Summer with poor efficiency

Celtics received:
The Clippers pick is lottery protected in 2019 and 2020, and the Celtics will receive a 2022 second round pick if the Clippers fail to make the playoffs both seasons.

Offline IDreamCeltics

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 140
It was a bad trade at the time but looks worse now.

Davis' Per 36 numbers last year

8.8 pts, 9.1 Rebs, 2.6 Blks

The Celtics could SORELY use a young, athletic rebounder/shotblocker in many of their lineups. 

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I too am in the camp that says it was a bad trade. There were two centers with 1st round grades available. They could have used either one. Considering how long it takes to develop them and getting them cheap  would have been best imo. Instead they kept drafting guards.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

The Celtics could SORELY use a young, athletic rebounder/shotblocker in many of their lineups. 

Aside from the blocks, those arent very impressive Per-36 numbers.  Jordan Mickey put up 10.7, 8.5, 3.1 for his career in a similar amount of minutes.  And again, judging players based on garbage time is generally not the best method.

I was yelling at the television for Davis to be picked 16th, so after the trade I'd been tracking him a bit too.  He's not a player I'm going to go "if only" about, and I look forward to an additional 1st in 2019.

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I too am in the camp that says it was a bad trade. There were two centers with 1st round grades available. They could have used either one. Considering how long it takes to develop them and getting them cheap  would have been best imo. Instead they kept drafting guards.

You know they'd just selected two bigs in the first round, right?

Offline CelticsElite

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 789

lol

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618

I actually wanted Davis at 16!!
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

I am not sure if this is serious or a joke to be honest. KO averaged 16 points and 8.5 rebounds per 36 and nobody really shed a tear when he left. Brandon Bass averaged 18 points and 8 rebounds per 36 last year and can't even get a min contract offer yet. 9 points and 9 rebounds is not good per 36....

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I know they selected two stash players and one was a tweener. Davis and Zubac were arguably better Center prospects but were determined to not be stashed. The Celtics screwed themselves when having picks they couldn't properly flip.

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394

I know they selected two stash players and one was a tweener. Davis and Zubac were arguably better Center prospects but were determined to not be stashed. The Celtics screwed themselves when having picks they couldn't properly flip.

l see

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567

They could. But that's not Davis so it's good we're not putting him in that position.

And thanks for the most idiotic projection of PER 36 so far this year.  And it would be hard to average 9/9 per 36 (giggle!) if he fouled out every single game (6.1 PF per 36). 
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

Offline Future Celtics Owner

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 191
  • Celtic's only raise championship Banners
Skal was only taken 3 spots ahead of him. I thought DA did a pretty horrible job selecting Yabu at #16 and adding that to the trade was really bad. The only thing he did well was draft Jaylen, but he could have tried to trade down or something for the teams that were trying to get Dunn.

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
DA taking the buckshot approach to the draft: take enough shots and you're bound to hit something.

Still sitting on plenty of ammo.

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
They had a roster crunch and needed to make a move. Davis is a nothing player and the probability he amounts to anything is pretty low.

Cs also drafted 2 bigs earlier in the draft.

Ultimately,  time will tell how that trade will look. If they get a pick in the late teens from the clippers it's a good move.

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
Brogdon went 36 but either way Boston had Jackson, Bentil, and Nader later in that draft so easily could have kept that player on the roster.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip